Treasure Island mini series on Sky - January 2012

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a Sky preview screening of the latest TV adaptation of the often adapted Robert Louis Stevens novel. Its a 2 part TV movie starring Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver. We were shown the first part which lasted for about 1.5hrs. At the end of the program, there was a q&a with some of the main cast including Eddie Izzard and Philip Glenister (Gene Hunt in Ashes to Ashes) in which Eddie just made it a one man show, the rest didnt even need to be there!

I love the Treasure Island story and various film and TV versions. My favourite Film version might be the 80s one with Charlton Heston and a young Christian Bale. TV wise, my favourite is a 4 part epic of the story set in outer space with Ernest Borgnine and Anthony Quinn, I think it was an Italian adaptation and was part dubbed but it was a brilliant adaption. But I enjoy most of them.

This one was very enjoyable, not best but its good. They are not swaying too far from the source, everything plays out as we expect. Its pretty much Eddie Izzard's interpretation of John Silver that gives this adaptation a refreshing spin and he does raise a few laughs with bouts of sly humour. He retains his normal London accent, there is no ar ar going on here. In fact the ship's crew accents are mostly old cockney and Jamaican.

Billy Bones is a Jamaican in this interpretation but its still exactly the same role and same story. The actor who plays Jim hawkins is in his 20s but he looks youthful enough to pass for a teen and does well. He's likeable.

Donald Sutherland makes an appearance early on as John Silver's previous captain, Flint. I dont think I ever saw this character before in previous adaptations so I think this is a new element, not sure. The role was too brief to make any impact but does actually give a little more on screen back story John Silver's story which I like.

Elijah Wood was in it for 5 seconds, not sure he plays a larger role in the second part but his name was high on the cast list.

The direction is busy with a slight Guy Richey style editing here and there to give it a little signature (I dont think it was neccessary but its done very sparcely so its not harmful either)

Admittedly the beginning rolls with very little charisma and character. Its only until we get to the start of the treasure hunting voyage that things get a lot more entertaining.

One major problem I had with the screening was that the colours looked so washed out. Perhaps it was the projection (it was shown on the Superscreen at the O2).

According to the q&a panel, they built the whole ship and transported it to South America for location shooting. The production certainly did look splendid, with lots of nice shots of the ship in open seas.

But I really enjoyed this overall. I cant say if ranks amongst the best because I only saw half a sttory but it did left me wanting desperately to see the other half.

As I said its only a special 2 part TV movie but its one to look out for in early new year (I think they said 6th january)

I've been seeing the adverts for these. This is looking really, really good!

This should have been essential Christmas telly...why did they leave it until january?

I watched the 1st episode and it was decent enough I thought. Not watched the 2nd episode yet, cos the Sky planner deleted it for some reason :mad:

I don't think its something I'd watch again tho to be honest. Whilst Eddie Izzard is a fave of mine, not sure he quite captured the Long John Silver role, and some of the acting on display from other characters I would describe as "suspect" :laugh:

But as I say, I need to watch the 2nd episode before I pass final judgment.

I've just watched the first ep too and thought it really rather well done. Much better than the lacklustre Terry Pratchet adaptations they usually make for Christmas. Will be watching part two tonight and fully expect it to be as good as the first part.

Regards

Mark

I've just watched the first ep too and thought it really rather well done. Much better than the lacklustre Terry Pratchet adaptations they usually make for Christmas. Will be watching part two tonight and fully expect it to be as good as the first part.

Regards

Mark

Aww I rather enjoyed the Pratchett specials, particularly Hogfather and Going Postal. I didnt like Color of Magic so much though. But that's a little off topic.

I am about to catch up with the 2nd part of Treasure Island now :)

Really good TV...not too sensible to put it up against Sherlock though!

I thought this was great .
Watch it last night thought it was much better than the Pratchet stuff.

I really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed this. A very good cast and Izzard was brilliant.

I liked the backstory how Silver lost his leg.

A much more enjoyable production compared to Neverland

Watched the first one a couple of nights ago and enjoyed it so much that I watched the second one straight after. Made for a very late night. Excellent entertainment.

I watched them both early this morning. Damn jetlag has me up at 3am

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom