Travelling to Venice

koeman

It's my wife's 40th this year and she's always wanted to visit Venice, I've found some very reasonable flights and hotels, but I'm getting really confused with getting to the city from Marco Polo airport.

What's the best way to do it? Everywhere seems to be offering water taxi for €150 per person or similar, but there must be a simpler way?

Has anybody been and can offer any advice?

Thanks

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
I was in Italy last year and the bus is the cheapest. Ends at the terminal in the city centre.

Use the frequent water bus from the airport. It goes to St Mark's Square and links to the rest of the water bus network. Look at 'Venice Water Bus' in Google. There are 24 hour and multi day passes so do your homework to work out what suits you best.
I was in Venice in May 2019.
PS : Make sure to cross the Grand Canal on a Vaporetto. It's a five minute ride but good fun.
PPS : The water bus service is called Alilaguna.

FishDUDE

as above, however if you can stretch to a water taxi transfer it's well worth it, arriving at the hotel in a motor boat was a great experience as was heading down the Grand canal. We got the water bus back which was also great as we got to see some of the other smaller islands on the way back to the airport.

gg13533

The bus is certainly the cheapest and drops you at Piazzale Roma. Depending where your hotel is it is then a walk or vaporetto to get to it.

We always use the Allilaguna, there are a couple of different routes, so depending where your hotel is you would choose the one that goes nearest.

Since its a special occasion why not splurge on the water taxi on arrival - it's a fantastic way to arrive as well as being much faster and will likely get you straight to the door of your hotel.

AMc

Distinguished Member
We went for October half term. We took the vaporetto as our hotel was just behind St. Mark's square so it looked convenient and reasonably cheap.
The boat was nowhere near big enough to take all the passengers off a regular flight - they left quite a few behind and the service wasn't very frequent. It may be that the time of year was a factor. It's also pretty slow but arriving at sunset on the water was spectacular.

On the way back we had a mid afternoon flight. We didn't want to miss lunch in Venice to catch the vaporetto again because of the timing of the journeys.
We asked our hotel concierege to book us a water taxi. We paid about 90-100 Euro in total because the hotel negotiated the deal, nothing like £150 per person :eek: but it was a few years back.
The water taxi took all the back canals (at quite a speed) so we got an amazing tour. Also "taxi" doesn't really do it justice - it was all polished wood, leather and chrome - it was much more limo than taxi.
It was definitely worth doing once.

If you want a gondola ride but don't want to spend an arm and a leg you can use the gondola ferry across the Grand Canal. It gives you a chance to get your gondola selfies and sing "Just one cornetto" to each other for a couple of Euro. We got ours to ourselves. It was pretty choppy and I'm glad we didn't spend an hour being wobbled about on a full tour.

Get recommendations for restaurants and book. We got great guidance from our concierge and had some lovely meals but the one "walk in" we did was like Bella Italia at 3x the price :eek:

It's a beautiful place, here are some pictures I took

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom