Question Travelling Technology advice needed...

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by SteDaley, Dec 26, 2015.

1. SteDaley

SteDaley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hey guys,

Over the next few months im off on a few adventures and need so kit to capture what i can of it!

Ill be going to

ICELAND
    PRAGUE
    LISBON > BARCA Drive
    Skiing/Snowboarding

Hopefully over the next 9 months!

I Have had a few cameras over the years but now with all these coming up id like to get a travel pack set up so i can take it on each!!

First Ideas are
    - GO PRO 3/4 just for 1080p Clips and Boom PIctures.
    - Mirrorless Camera (Sony a5100) or a Micro 4/3 camera for better Stills.
    - Back pack to include space for Small Laptop/macbook/HDD/Batteries/Memory cards
    - Hand held Gible for steady shots for Go Pro

Now im not sure what else/what people have used and recommend for these types of holidays!

Let me know what you guys have used and what tips and tricks youd recommend!

Ste

2. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
  3. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,738
    Based on your activities the first thing that springs to mind for me is to get a weather sealed camera which unfortunately rules out the Sony A6000/5100. For travel I use the EM5-II and 12-40mm f2.8 Pro and am happy with the results. Plus it got soaked one day and it was fine. The EM5 mark I can be picked up much cheaper and is still weather sealed.

4. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,756
    Some kind of tripod would be a must for me - for northern lights and astro pictures in Iceland and blue hour pictures of Lisbon, Barcelona and Prague. It can be a small one just needs to keep the camera still for longer exposures than you can do hand held. :)

5. The Elf

The Elf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    When I have been traveling around I usually take my Canon S90, and recently a GoPro H4B as well, along with a GorillaPod and other various accessories.

The good thing with the GoPro is, while is won't replace your micro 4/3, you have such a wide angle and big dynamic range, you can just set it to timelapse (photo every 0.5 seconds) and the chances are you will get a shot with everything included, in focus and exposed properly. The car suction cups are good too, if you are doing a big drive.
    I bought mine for video primarily, but have found its so small and easy to use I often had it in my jeans pocket for photos too. If using without a dive case I would recommend a press on clear filter to protect the lens.

6. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    I have to say that's the first time I've ever heard someone claim a gopro has great dynamic range, I'm sure it's possibly good amongst other similar sized sensors but against anything bigger as you'd expect it's pretty terrible. I haven't used the newest Black though so I have tried to find any DR measurement for it but the only specification I can find is marketting material comparing it to the older 3.

John

7. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    For travel travel I'd look at the Oly EM5/EM10 mk1 or 2 with 12-40 & 40-150 pro

8. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,390
    both pretty large and heavy lenses (and expensive) for travel though.....

9. Oswald

Oswald
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,299
    From a photography point of view, with those destinations in mind, I would want to ensure I could cover a broad zoom range. I would want one or two small consumer-type lenses rather than the larger, heavier, and more expensive f/2.8 zooms. Definitely make sure you can cover at least 24mm equivalent wide angle for those Icelandic vistas and the broad squares and streets of Lisbon.

The Olympus 12-50mm would be a good start if you're looking at the m4/3 system. It has a good zoom range, is waterproof, has an electronic zoom for video, and also has a macro mode. Add the Olympus 40-150mm or similar, and you should be ready to go.

[ Although I might also try and squeeze in a small prime for low light shooting too... :) ]

I would forget about taking a laptop and hard drives. Memory cards nowadays are cheap, of large capacity, and it's easy to pick up extra ones in places like Lisbon or Reykjavík if you really need to.

I would definitely take a Gorillapod or similar for Northern Lights shots and Icelandic waterfalls (and a neutral density filter for those too). Take a remote release for when using the camera on a tripod (to avoid you accidentally moving the camera when you press the shutter) ...or you could just use the self-timer to take shots from the tripod.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  10. The Elf

The Elf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Dynamic Range could be the wrong word for it - and I have no idea what the measurement for it is - but I know that with my compact I would often sacrifice blown out skys to get the detail in the shadows and land - I find the same trade off with my SLR, though I have only had that for a month or so.
    With the GoPro, I find it is just aim and fire without any further thought, and it generally exposes very well. For example the picture below, even with the sun in the picture in the middle of the day, there is a nice gradient in the sky and blue colour, and the foreground is all visible, albeit with a lack of detail when zoomed.

[​IMG]Parliment by Ed Leach, on Flickr

11. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    That looks like the GoPro is using some sort of HDR mode, if you want that sort of faux-HDR look most compacts and some consumer DSLRs have the same option.

John

12. The Elf

The Elf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    There is no option or mode for HDR, was just a single shot and it is just how it always exposes the pictures (i tend to use Protune On and ISO limited to 400). My S90 does not have an HDR option; I think my D7200 possible does, though I haven't used it, it probably will take 3 shots or so, requiring a tripod or a steady hand.

It could look a little unnatural, and I am sure dedicated stills cameras could take a better shot - but I think my original point stands, it appeals to me in many situations, as I don't have to think about the exposure, focus or any of the other technicalities, just aim it and press the button :)

13. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    That's not my point - the DR of the GoPro is still extremely poor, my phone camera can take pretty much exactly the same shot (as well as being fully stabilised). Better cameras like the S90 and DSLRs tend to avoid that sort of over the top processing.

John