Travelling man!

A Senior Railcard could sway the train in your favour with a 30% discount. Costs £30 for a year or £10 in Tesco vouchers.

What are Tesco voucher codes?
If you shop at Tesco & have a Clubcard, you earn points which are converted into vouchers periodically. Railcards are one of the things where the vouchers can be redeemed at 3x their value.

If you shop at Tesco & have a Clubcard, you earn points which are converted into vouchers periodically. Railcards are one of the things where the vouchers can be redeemed at 3x their value.
OK thanks I rarely shop at Tesco.

Do you have a National Entitlement Card? It appears that may also get you a discount on the West Coast Mainline.

Do you have a National Entitlement Card? It appears that may also get you a discount on the West Coast Mainline.

Yep got one of then.

Stop being antagonistic, shall I publicly criticise you? It would be so easy, but I’m not that judgemental.

Maybe increase your water intake as an aside.

I'm not being antogonistic, your view point is old fashioned and I was pointing that out as you posted your opinion publically. You, I, us, don't own the Earth, we rent it while we are here and we are in a severe climate emergy because of all of our ignorance over the years. Sure its easy to take a 'Trump' viewpoint and claim it dosent exist, but we know thats hyperbole...don't we?

You are welcome to criticise me all you want if I've posted an opinion about something you do not agree with, none of us are perfect but the key in this conversation is to be able to make even minor adjustments to reduce our carbon footprint (which if 7.7billion people also did, the effect would be profound). A simple analogy was the plastic bottle scenario. I try to make adjustments on a daily basis, hasn't been easy though thats for sure.

The point was, if you are planning a journey, and are pondering various options, taking into account carbon footprint should really be a standardised thing nowadays.

…that’d be me then! ;)

A typical flight from Edinburgh to London would use around 3000 litres of Jet A1 (diesel).

As a rule of thumb, for every extra ton of fuel we carry on a longhaul flight, we reckon on burning around 20% of that fuel, just to carry it - but that’s on a 10 hour flight. Over a single hour we could roughly equate that to each ton costing us around 2%.

The flight from Edi to LHR is almost exactly one hour, each passenger, with bags weighs roughly 100Kgs, and so each passenger would ‘cost’ roughly 2Kgs of fuel to carry over and above what it’d cost in fuel terms to operate the flight without them.

So 2.5 litres of fuel (specific gravity of Jet A-1 of roughly 0.8) can be attributed to each passenger flown. Pretty efficient if the flight is going anyway!

The total per passenger, on a full flight, is around 17 litres. So the aircraft would be burning 14.5 litres per seat, whether there was anyone in it or not!

Of course, aircraft don’t just carry passengers, we carry quite a lot of time critical freight, and post too - I’ve even carried live organs for transplant.

Even at 17 litres per passenger (worst case), it’s still far more efficient than a car (electric cars aside).

As I say though, if you know the flight is going anyway, travelling on it is only going to ‘cost’ an extra 2.5 litres of fuel - which makes it the cleanest option (with a touch of perverse logic applied, admittedly)!

Does that cater for all the extra man/person/machine power required to operate a flight over say a train?

If people reduced their flight usage, then the flight would not go ahead surely? How would the carbon footprint of a flight work then even if just for some mail or live organs? Would a passenger jet still be used?

Last edited:
I'm not being antogonistic, your view point is old fashioned and I was pointing that out as you posted your opinion publically. You, I, us, don't own the Earth, we rent it while we are here and we are in a severe climate emergy because of all of our ignorance over the years. Sure its easy to take a 'Trump' viewpoint and claim it dosent exist, but we know thats hyperbole...don't we?

You are welcome to criticise me all you want if I've posted an opinion about something you do not agree with, none of us are perfect but the key in this conversation is to be able to make even minor adjustments to reduce our carbon footprint (which if 7.7billion people also did, the effect would be profound). A simple analogy was the plastic bottle scenario. I try to make adjustments on a daily basis, hasn't been easy though thats for sure.

The point was, if you are planning a journey, and are pondering various options, taking into account carbon footprint should really be a standardised thing nowadays.

Does that cater for all the extra man/person/machine power required to operate a flight over say a train?

If people reduced their flight usage, then the flight would not go ahead surely? How would the carbon footprint of a flight work then even if just for some mail or live organs? Would a passenger jet still be used?

I am sure one individuals flight is not going to save the planet. Of course global warming is a real issue, but until such times as China/India and other populous nations join in and take things seriously,the difference we make in UK is going to be minimal.

Back to OP, if you have the entitlement card use this and you will save a considerable sum on train travel. Enjoy your break

I am sure one individuals flight is not going to save the planet. Of course global warming is a real issue, but until such times as China/India and other populous nations join in and take things seriously,the difference we make in UK is going to be minimal.

Back to OP, if you have the entitlement card use this and you will save a considerable sum on train travel. Enjoy your break

No it won't , but collectively it's a big help, if we all make one adjustment even on the usage of one flight. The ignorance is in believing it won't so it fits ones own rhetoric.

Set an example to others rather than joining them is a powerful move.

No it won't , but collectively it's a big help, if we all make one adjustment even on the usage of one flight. The ignorance is in believing it won't so it fits ones own rhetoric.

Set an example to others rather than joining them is a powerful move.

Mate bore-off and take this to a thread or forum more in line with your views please and let us continue reading or replying without your rants.

@MrFraggle

You do not say how long you will be there?
If a day, then this might be useful.

Mate bore-off and take this to a thread or forum more in line with your views please and let us continue reading or replying without your rants.

@MrFraggle

That has yet to be determined, I am really just planning ahead for a jouney that might not even happen. Did realise that an innocent question would lead to a bit of animosity between members. :eek:

@MrFraggle

Why? Sorry, I didnt realise you had a monopoly on what can or can't be said on a public forum. I presume, that its an uncomfortable conversation as it challenges how you possibly lead your own life, thus your anger towards my views.

Hardly rants though, just something we should all be talking about more when it comes to how we travel, and what we should take into account when planning journeys. That so much is a fact, whatever side of the fence you are on.

That has yet to be determined, I am really just planning ahead for a jouney that might not even happen. Did realise that an innocent question would lead to a bit of animosity between members. :eek:

Personally I wouldn't want to drive it, well unless it was at 1am I would consider it perhaps.
Flight + drive has to be easiest I would guess, although I did a journey from the SE to Newcastle by train and it was really relaxing and an easy journey, but..It was pretty much a straight run.

It is one thing that puts me off when someone comes along and de-rails a thread so badly that in many cases puts me off and I stop reading or even consider replying.

Why? Sorry, I didnt realise you had a monopoly on what can or can't be said on a public forum. I presume, that its an uncomfortable conversation as it challenges how you possibly lead your own life, thus your anger towards my views.

Hardly rants though, just something we should all be talking about more when it comes to how we travel, and what we should take into account when planning journeys. That so much is a fact, whatever side of the fence you are on.

:)

Severe Trolling
Personally I wouldn't want to drive it, well unless it was at 1am I would consider it perhaps.
Flight + drive has to be easiest I would guess, although I did a journey from the SE to Newcastle by train and it was really relaxing and an easy journey, but..It was pretty much a straight run.

It is one thing that puts me off when someone comes along and de-rails a thread so badly that in many cases puts me off and I stop reading or even consider replying.

Who has done that? When planning a journey, there are new concepts we must consider. If you don't feel they are valid...well, maybe do a little reading, it would help your annoyance with the reality of it all. Times they are a'changing..

Who has done that? When planning a journey, there are new concepts we must consider. If you don't feel they are valid...well, maybe do a little reading, it would help your annoyance with the reality of it all. Times they are a'changing..

:)

I wouldn't be getting on a plane or train at the moment due to Covid. Anecdotally, I've been told that mask wearing on both is at a minimum, if at all.

@MrFraggle ... forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember you talking about health issues historically? So maybe worth thinking about?

Like @Gaslight has said, there are new concepts to consider, not just where travelling is concerned but in pretty much all aspects of life.

The OP was to seek guidance on the ‘best’ way to do this trip, let’s keep it to that and Greta/alternaive based discussions are for another time on another forum.

@Gaslight you are seemingly wishing to derail this thread, so please be mindful that if you aren’t helping the OP find the best way to travel (not necessarily the one that pleases you) then please desist.

We ‘must’ consider this, we must. If @Gaslight had asked the OP if carbon emissions was a concern to him personally then fair enough but he didn’’t, instead he went straight into arguing his potentially irrelevant point and position.

Loganair return is over £200 so is the train; problem is Exeter airport very very limited. It might pay you to fly down to Bristol or maybe Brighton and hire a car if your going to explore Devon...we live in a crazy world, my flight to Spain return was £64.

Severe Trolling
The OP was to seek guidance on the ‘best’ way to do this trip, let’s keep it to that and Greta/alternaive based discussions are for another time on another forum.

@Gaslight you are seemingly wishing to derail this thread, so please be mindful that if you aren’t helping the OP find the best way to travel (not necessarily the one that pleases you) then please desist.

Using language like 'Greta' is argumentative and bordering on abusive.

I have no interest in Greta although I feel she is a ruffler of feathers for conversations people (evidently) can't cope with having. I do however feel that on conversation on a public forum, where a question of 'how should I travel', should include a thought about the environment in that process. That could indeed help both the OP and others to begin looking at the situation in a wider expanse that is needed moving forward. Its not an alternative viewpoint, its a fact of life, (sadly), hardly irrelevant. We all live on the planet, we all have a responsibility towards looking after it.

This is becoming a real neccesity for us all to do, not just if you're 'that way 'Greta' inclined'. Im not even one of those climate warriors or anything even near to that that, I just see the bigger picture and offer another view point to a real world matter.

Last edited:
Using language like 'Greta' is argumentative and bordering on abusive.

I have no interest in Greta although I feel she is a ruffler of feathers for conversations people (evidently) can't cope with having. I do however feel that on conversation on a public forum, where a question of 'how should I travel', should include a thought about the environment in that process. That could indeed help both the OP and others to begin looking at the situation in a wider expanse that is needed moving forward. Its not an alternative viewpoint, its a fact of life, (sadly), hardly irrelevant. We all live on the planet, we all have a responsibility towards looking after it.

This is becoming a real neccesity for us all to do, not just if you're 'that way 'Greta' inclined'. Im not even one of those climate warriors or anything even near to that that, I just see the bigger picture and offer another view point to a real world matter.
Casting aspersions about my character is borderline abusive but I’ll let that slide.

You’ve been asked the ‘best’ way not the quickest, greenest, most scenic. Your carbon argument was countered by a serving airline pilot, so you decided to eventually dismiss that and move on.

Don’t make assumptions about a) members on this privately owned and operated forum and b) you have the right to free speech on it too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom