1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling abroad with an IXUS II??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by astonbilla, Jun 18, 2004.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Guys i hope you can help

I got the wife an isux II for Christmas, which i have to say she loved.

We are off to the states in August and she wants to bring the camera. I have no idea if we can or not.

How do we get the memory cards over? will they get damaged by scanners etc? can you buy an adaptor to charge the camera overseas?

any help would be great guys - sorry for the stupid questions

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just put the memory cards in your camera bag and send them through with the rest of your belongings you will have absolutely no problems at all putting them through airport scanners. We have travelled the world with digital camera, memory cards, digital camcorder, tapes, batteries etc. and never had a problem

The voltage in America is different and is usually 110 Volts, most chargers sold in England are suitable for use between 110 and 240 volts just check the name plate on your charger.

They do use different plugs though so you do need a mechanical adapter to make the plugs on your charger fit their mains sockets, I would recommend you take at least one of each of the following. :-

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?KAM2

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?KAM1

You may need more than one if your wife like mine has to take her own travelling iron and hairdryer. (make sure they also work on 110 volts)

3. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the reply

So let me get this right, if i take my british battery and charger and attach a us plug adaptor, i can plug it in over there and charge it without it getting destroyed?

If so this is great news, i thought i would have to get a different charger etc

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It won't get destroyed - the US voltage is LOWER than ours, so unlikely to cause damage.

Depending on your charger, it may charge slowly or not at all. Take a close look at the small print on the charger itself - it will almost certainly give you its acceptable voltage range, which will probably be 100-240 - but check it for yourself.

If it is only (say) 200-240 then it may not work.

If you have a dual-voltage shaver outlet in your bathroom, you can try it on 110V before you go.

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Excellent

Thanks guys!