Travel Memories

...I just hope that wasn't taken this month and that if it was you don't enter it in our friendly little monthly compo. which just happens to have a theme of "Sky" this month :facepalm: ;) :devil:

"Last Light at Cape Royal"
North Rim - Grand Canyon.

43413742460_1809e778a9_h.jpg

Wow

Fantastic image (again) - care to share how you shot this?

Jim

This was a blended exposure.
The foreground was shot a dusk and the stars shot a few hours later - same location.
Nikon D850 - Sigma 14mm

Thanks - just two exposures blended or multiples to get the foreground to background ?

Jim

Back from 8 days tent camping in Big Bend National Park.
This is an infra-red photograph of Santa Elena Canyon on the Rio Grande, shot at dawn.

44937840655_33f3b08c85_h.jpg

Last edited:
Another great shot

Beautiful

^^^ Lovely shot, as are most of your images.

May I ask what method you use for your astrophotography? Are you tracking the stars, or stacking multiple images? And I guess, for the likes of the image above, you're blending in PS or similar.

Just looking to getting into doing some astro stuff myself (although now the wrong time of year over here, as the GC is below the horizon now during the hours of darkness). My first attempts have been mediocre, but I can see the potential given the right conditions - I've found even with the moon up in just the first quarter, the sky is too washed out to give really good detail, even with stacking images etc. So it seems I either need a full new moon, or for it to be below the horizon - so suitable dates are limited.

Thanks

edit: looking more closely at the sky in the image above, I have to ask, is that just a single exposure? The stars appear to have very slight trails. If so, it's really good - not sure my camera could produce such an image without a lot of extraneous noise, being an APS-C sized sensor.

The last tent shot and the "Finding Neverland" shot were single photos - no blends or composites done on these. 15 second exposure.
The "Crack in the Earth" was a composite of 2 taken at the same location at different times of the evening.
It's always best to wait for a new moon or at least when the moon has set during the night. I always try not to shoot longer than a 15-20 second exposure to reduce star trails.
Of course the star trail shot was stacked from 120 pics at 30 second each.
Thanks!!

Love tha shot - but think the person spoils it somewhat....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom