Travel by TRAIN ?? Are you crazy ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dakara, Jan 2, 2007.

1. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reported in The Guardian this morning, and no doubt in other newspapers as well. Cost of Train journeys.

Standard Open Return fare Glasgow - London £240
    Standard Open Return fare London - Plymouth £214

Whatever are these people playing at? I certainly am not prepared to pay these prices. We are being encouraged / bullied into using Public Transport, but at these rates most people cannot afford to do so, certainly not as a family. :thumbsdow

2. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree. I live in Scotland where it's a public holiday but I'm working (sort of) today. I go to the station this morning to find it closed therefore have to pay on the train (a Virgin train as there are so few Scotrail ones running today). As it's a Bank Holiday here all fares should be off-pk rates but because I'm paying on the train you're not allowed to get them! Then I find the price has gone up 4% this morning too.

Happy New Year my ar*e!!

3. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +502
    But are these ridiculous prices the fault of the train companies or the Chancellor of the Exchequer's? The tax they have to pay is astronomical.

4. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    My season ticket for the train has gone up by just under 50% in the past five years.

5. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This year I know they've absorbed the fuel price increase but in general the service remains poor and expensive. I travel a lot with work and would like to take the train more - mainly for convenience as I live beside a main station but have to drive to the airport. I'm travelling to Wigan in a couple of weeks and its cheaper to fly to Manchester and get collected than get the train direct! To me, that's just daft.

The other thing that bugs me is that if you travel business class with GNER from Edinburgh to London your ticket only entitles you to a meal in one direction!

I would like to use the train more but none of the operators do themselves any favours.

6. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Its the inconsistances that really do my head in!

Nottingham - London no changes 2 hrs never paid more than £10 each way fantastic value for money.

Nottingham - Plymouth 2 or 3 changes 5hrs and have yet to find it cheaper than £100 per person.

Last month we hired a car for the weekend cost £54, petrol cost £40. Travel time (Plymouth) 3hrs we had mobility why we were there and all for less than the cost of my ticket would have been.

7. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree. Travelled from Surrey to Edinburgh a few months ago and it only cost £38 in diesel. Took an hour or so longer and the little chef food was no better than the train but like the previous post there was two of us travelling and it was much better value and more convenient.

If you're travelling as a family the car really is hard to better.

8. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Totally agree.

I travel infrequently from Crewe to Watford and NEVER know how much the ticket price will be:confused: : too much variation ad uncertainty, it does my head in completely:mad: ; thank god the journey is only 90mins.

Unfortunately the term public transport as we know it is no longer relevant since the trains have been privatised; would anyone refer to British Airways or Virgin Atlantic for that matter as public transport - same principle applies?

We seem to be left with a p**s poor system which is the most expensive in Europe :(

Regds,

KT56

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,781
    Just checked my season ticket pricing.....2006 = £2820 and for 2007......£2980! :eek:

Can somebody remind me, why i go to work again.....please.

10. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My partner just considered taking a job locally at £2.5k a year less as after travel costs it would have worked out about the same! She could also have had my dinner ready when I got home :devil:

11. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Maybe if John Prescott had spent more time developing an integrated transport policy (as he was supposed to) and less time groping his secretary and dressing up as a cowboy whilst discussing how we can develop an even bigger national gambling problem, the situation would be a little better. What we have today is little short of a joke.

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Selective reporting?

I take this journey a couple times per year (home-uni)
    Manchester - London Euston £180 Open Return (£60 Open Return off peak)
    Manchester - London Euston £30 return - book in advance 2 weeks minimum

True not everyone can afford to book in advance, whether due to short notice or whatever, and maybe train companies don't need to charge so much for tickets bought on the day, but is there a need for sensationalist headlines? I'm not saying its all roses, so feel free to retort :)

13. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other joke is that Gordon Brown is my local MP. When my partner moved up from Surrey she couldn't get an NHS dentist and had to write to the NHS to find a local doctor who's list wasn't full and she has to pay more council tax too! But that's probably for another thread...

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,781
    My train operator has also removed the big clocks from the platforms.....i assume so you can't easily see when your train is late.

15. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Absolutely you can pick up a bargain and I extensively search for tickets well in advance of most journeys. But it can be so inconsistent. Just done a search for Nottingham to Plymouth leaving in an hours time £95 leaving in two weeks £95 leaving in 3 months £95. Now I know there are supposedly single tickets available for £16 but there so difficult to get hold of there a joke!

I would say I cant afford to not book in advance because typically you show up on the day for a ticket and you get stung.

Yet I needed to get to london in an emergancy over the summer so went on trainline booked ticket on next train expecting to be stung got charged £6! Just dont understand it:confused:

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Thing is, is it

a) If everyone theoretically booked in advance and got cheap return tickets, the companies can't justify 3 figure bought on the day tickets if they don't lose out

b) If everyone got cheap booked in advance tickets, then the price of booked tickets would rise to subsidise what expensive buy-on-the-day tickets pay for

Which is it? :confused:

17. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    That is undoubtedly true, but the train companies know that most people will not book in advance. I suspect they only offer cheaper advance tickets so they can comply with some cap on average fare increases imposed by the regulator. Obviously the captive commuter market will continue to be shafted until their eyes water, and that won't change without much more effective regulation.

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6223701.stm

I retract my earlier small defence of the train operators. Greedy, capitalist (not typing anymore) - my opinion, not the forum's

I can't really speak to you lot anymore on this issue, as I feel guilty since I have a free 5 year railcard with Natwest that offers 33% off :cool: :D

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Haven't travelled voluntarily by "intercity" train since about 1995 when my student rail card ran out.

Its usually much cheaper to fly to the nearest airport and get a taxi. So much for the green incentive...

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    I reckon the train companies are putting up the price to cut down the numbers of people wanting to use the rail system. It's so crap they can't cope with the numbers wanting to travel by rail now so certainly don't want more passengers. That's the big joke when the politicians preach to us to use alternative transport rather than use our cars but forget that our public transport system is very very poor.

21. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    You can't really blame the train operators. They are commercial ventures with the sole objective of maxmising capital value and dividends for shareholders. The problem is that they should not be.

22. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I don't think that any of them forget it. They either conveniently ignore it, or have never used it themselves and have no idea how bad it really is.

After all, when you have two Jags the only reason to lower yourself to using public transport is when you are being filmed - ideally holding a baby and shaking the hand of a disabled person.

23. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Even then I'm sure the train companies reserve track for the politician so their journey is a pleasant, stress-free, photo-friendly PR exercise... sorry I mean a concerted effort to live amongst their fellow men to show they care

I promise that's the last I'll say on this :D

24. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    When I travel from euston to crewe to visit my parents it's cheaper for me to buy two single tickets (one each way - at £10 each, a return ticket is about £54) between euston and liverpool then just get off the train at crewe instead, since a euston to crewe ticket is £12.50...

25. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    My wife and I are going to spend next week in Central London. It's half the price to drive my car, including going into the CC zone, and pay a daily rate of £15 to park in hotel's secure park than get the train and Underground. :hiya:

Trains? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

26. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I rarely travel by train and when I do the company pays. Although the cost isn't coming out of my pocket I do try and make sure I take the cheapest option and look at train v air v car hire. Most of the time I drive. Next week though I have to go to Ipswich which from Wales is horrendous - especially going up Monday morning and coming back Friday afternoon. :( Looked on the internet and have booked train for £79.50 saver return. I know I have to travel across London from Paddington to Liverpool St and there is a great possibility of delay etc but I'm just as likely to get stuck on M25 at some point. At least on train they have a bar and I can sit and read in comfort :rolleyes:

If I had to do the train on a regular basis though these latest price hikes would be the final straw. The few times I do go I'm rarely if ever impressed with the standards or the service and its only the fact of saving me driving time that I ever choose it as an option. If the ultimate aim is to get people off the roads and into trains they are going the wrong way about it. :suicide:

27. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    It is a simple relationship.
    1) Those that cannot drive are stuck with the trains.
    2) those that can drive are already being stuffed for billions a year but this disparity will probably be used to justify increases (road charging).

I did used to use the trains a lot (long ago....) and it was noticable that the price of an intercity ticket (for one person) used to work out at just below the petrol costs for the same journey in your average family saloon. Which seemed kinda reasonable to me.

Treasure Island me hearties. It won't change unless the public forces the change.

28. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,657
    I work in the centre of London a couple of days a week, commuting from Ashford in Kent.

Return fare from Ashford is around £33. I can park cheaply near the station so no parking charges.

However, what I usually do is drive 47 miles to Sidcup, pay £3 parking and £6.80 train fare from there. Even with fuel costs I'm still saving over £15 per day. And it is between 10 and 20 minutes quicker door to door........

29. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    I can't see it ever changing as long as the public transport system is in the hands of profit making private companies. An affordable and extensive public transport system is only achievable if it's subsidised I think.

30. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Personally I'd be willing to pay towards an overhaul of the rail network. Before anyone says; London is expected to subsidise the £4bn and rising cost of the Olympics? ;)

If you look at a map, rail is often the most direct and quickest route, having existed before many modern motorways. Its a shame though that there appears to be a conspiracy with Labour. On the one hand they do everything to get people away from cars. On the other hand everything is done to put people off trains. Rock and a hard place? Then something will be done about planes. Then they'll drain all the canals and we can travel by bobsleigh en masse

:clap: