Travel Advice

chrisw

I'm up in London tomorrow for a meeting - it's in Canary Wharf at 9am. I live in Maidenhead (Berks) and can either get a train from Maidenhead to Paddington or Windsor to Waterloo.

I hate the tube (find myself feeling claustraphobic), so would prefer to keep the time spent on it to a minimum... any one know how busy the tube would be from paddington to canary wharf, as opposed to waterloo to can. wharf at 8am?

Or any other travel suggestions...?

Mep

personally I would go to Waterloo and get a cab.....the drain is out at the moment still (i think) .......you could always just get cab to bank or Tower Hill and get DLR the rest of the way.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
The Jubilee line isn't too bad since they added the extra carriage - it's only about 20 minutes to Canary Wharf from Waterloo (used to do that every day).

Or if you get there early enough you could walk from Waterloo to Bank (about 1 1/2 miles or so) then get the DLR. I get the DLR and it's almost as crammed as the tube, but it is in daylight the whole way (except for about one minute as it pulls out of Bank). Plus you do get nice views coming into Canary Wharf.

Or if you have taxis at your disposal you can do what you like!

mjn

Distinguished Member
I'd go to Waterloo, and use the Jubilee line, its pretty clean and not crowded.

chrisw

maybe I'll just tube it then from waterloo - says 10 mins on the TFL website... think I can bear that.

Thanks guys...

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
mep said:
At that time of day i would allow 30 - 40 mins for taxi
At least I would say. It's about six miles by road from Waterloo to Canary Wharf. That's about 35 minutes at 10mph. I don't think you would be wanting to get in the taxi much after 8 if you have a meeting at 9 (although I get paranoid when at the mercy of things I can't control, like traffic).

I suppose you have to ask yourself if 35-45 minutes in a taxi is better than 20 minutes on the tube. Although it can get uncomfortable on the tube if the train stops between stations for a length of time because of a problem further down the line. Particularly if it's a very hot day.

ush flynn

Novice Member
def get the jubilee line mate, that part of it is quite nice to be on, journey is about 10-12 mins and canary wharf station is pretty cool to look at as your going up the escalators! really why bother spending more time getting wound up on the dlr (which has been packed every time ive been on it) or expensive slow cabs

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom