• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Travel advice or help needed please.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Hi

I have a friend in the USA who would like to come and visit me. At the moment he doesn't have a passport and will be applying for one shortly. The thing is that he has a criminal record for a crime he was found guilty of 20 years ago. He has a clean record other than that but he is worried that it will affect him. I am not sure whether it will or not but I would assume that if you've been good for the last 20 years you'd be ok...anyone know the score?

Cheers...

J

jackal

Just ask him to call the British Embassy. I cannot see that it would be an issue unless it was a very serious crime i.e, armed robbery, murder, terrorism etc.

Edit: One other point, anyone convicted of a sex crime will not be allowed entry to the UK.

grey fox

Did your friend receive the conviction in this country or the States?

If your friend committed the crime over here, and was sentenced to longer than two and a half years, the conviction is never spent, and will remain on his record for life. This will only affect him if he were to try to apply for certain jobs (with banks, police health care and other responsible positions in society). To the best of my knowledge if he is only visiting and not thinking of applying for work, I don't think he will be affected, although if he needs some sort of security clearance for visiting places, the authorities could I suppose check up.

This link is affiliated with NACRO and seems to provide some good adivce and information on convictions as they apply to this country - Criminal Conviction Disclosures

I hope this helps :)

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
He was tried and convicted in the USA. Thanks for the response guys.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Hi, the crime was possession of a kilo of marijuana with the intent to supply, even though he wasn't intending to sell it they still charged him based on the weight (obviously as it is a lot for personal consumption). Again, it was 20 years ago and he has had a clean record ever since.

Cheers guys.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Hi, the crime was possession of a kilo of marijuana with the intent to supply, even though he wasn't intending to sell it they still charged him based on the weight (obviously as it is a lot for personal consumption). Again, it was 20 years ago and he has had a clean record ever since.

Cheers guys.

A kilo.:eek: :eek: :eek:

No wonder they did him for intent to supply. If he smoked all that he wouldn't need a plane to fly here.:D

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
yeah I know...not an ideal situation. Actually is there a website that would tell me specifically what the score is with regard to him coming over?

Westindieman

I work in travel and as far as I know the USA is the only country that stops you going there if you have an offence on your 'live' register (I think it may be in the last 10 years), but I dont think coming the other way applies. Actually, my work colleagues are laughing that we'll let anyone in. Someone has just said 'you need a criminal record get in here'...lol

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom