Transporting Toshiba CRT RPTV

S

subsox

I am looking at buying a second hand Toshiba CRT RPTV 42****
I have an old Mercedes estate car and a limited budget. Hiring a van would seriously eat into my budget as living in N.Wales I am expecting to have to travel a way to collect.
Would it be a bit risky to carry it tilted or on it's back - the car has a very smooth ride and the tyres could be let down as far as safety would allow or how easy are they to split in two?
I don't mind redoing convergence and focus (service level/mechanical, prob do it anyway) etc. but am concerned about physically damaging the set.

Any comments would be much appreciated as would any offers for the above mentioned TV.

Hi,

I did the same thing yesterday, transporting a second hand CTR RP 43" Samsung on his back in my car!

Nothing went wrong, and it is ok according to a tv technician who was there at the time that I got the device( He was there to fix the brand new plasma tv from the guy that I bought the Samsung from!!!)!

Go for it and spend the money you save on some nice dvd

Maybe you have some advice for me about how to properly clean the screen from this device!!

cu

Thanks for your reply, I think that is probably going to be the solution, as for cleaning your screen I'm not sure I'm the person to ask, I'm not even sure what they're made of.

When I sold my Tosh 46WHO the buyer turned up with a MPV but it wouldn't go in upright or sideways so I delivered it on my trailer - plenty of sheets and covers and tied it upright - it survived the trip and worked OK.

Dave

I bought a Sony KP44 PS2, from these very forums, It was a 80 mile trip each way and I fitted into a 1987 Ford fiesta, with a passenger as well! Was a tight squezze but managed it. Obviously I took the set apart, separated the bottom CRT housing with the lens hood (and removed front seat of car). I then transported it to his house in a Subaru Imprezza Estate (this required removal of the rear seat squab and was not as easy fit as the fiesta).

Have also transported a Toshiba Wh36 in the Subaru, once again separated lens hood etc. Very easy to dismantle and you would probably dismantle it anyway when you got it home if it fitted in your car for mirror cleans focus etc.

I would make sure you take a cordless drill with an assortment of philips head bit (with an extension), allen keys and whatever is required to remove seats from your car just in case.

Thanksfor that scooby do,I do have all the tools available and I have read the convergence guide on this forum.
I was wondering if anybody had a particular reason as to why I shoudn't carry it on it's back?

Not sure 100% but I might be a bit worried about coolant leak on the CRT but not 100% sure on the mechanics of the CRT whether if they are turned on there side it could cause an issue. Me personally would disamantle as you probably would be doing that anyway to clean mirror etc.

I have now got the Toshiba 42PW23P, I managed to get it in the boot of my Merc estate by splitting the TV in two. Nice and easy, thanks scooby do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom