Transporting Plasma TV's

stuart2

Established Member
Reaction score
I have noticed on the packaging for plasma tv's the instructions that they must be transported vertically. I can fit the packaging in flat in the boot of my car (just!) but vertical would be impossible. Is it absolutely necessary to transport them vertically? and why? :confused:

Would it not be possible to transport them flat or is the risk too high?

Transporting plasmas flat can mean that the plasma can flex under the weight of the glass especially when driving over uneven surfaces. If this flexing cracks the glass the screen is not repairable. I presume you haven't got a big enough back seat to transport the plasma vertically? Maybe best to get a friend with a bigger car to help?

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

Just been throught the same thing myself. The guys at Richer sounds reckoned that it didnt really matter which way it went in the car, horizontal or vertical. I didnt want to take the risk though! It said 'transport standing up' on the box so thats what I did. Went down the old black cab route, only cost me a tenner with a five squid tip. The driver did give me a hand with it in the house!:thumbsup:

Thanks Alistair. I have a Mazda 6 and they don't get much bigger than that, unless I had a 4x4! I'll have to either hire a van or get it delivered. The carton height is 1074mm so it could just fit behind the front seats if it weren't for the fact the carton depth is 340mm!

Other alternatives are,

1. Remove the packaging and place the screen vertically on the back seat.
Use the polystyrene to wedge in place.
2. Place some old blankets or similar, remove the packaging and lay the screen down.

The flexing risk is due to the packaging only supporting the screen at its corners. Laying it down is OK so long as the weight is distributed evenly.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor. I would imagine that opening up the packaging and stuffing a blanket and / or towels down behind the tv between the tv and the cardboard packaging, therefore supporting the tv, would have the same effect?

Has anyone out there tried transporting plasma tv's flat?

I have transported a couple of 42" screens on the back seat of a BMW 3 series.....once over 200 miles.

Just remove the packaging (if thats an option) and use your seatbelts to keep it up-right and in-place on the back seat.

As for transporting them flat, I really wouldn't try it and I wouldn't expect many people to have risked it........especially people who have the AVForums wealth of knowledge at their disposal :thumbsup:

stuart2 said:
Has anyone out there tried transporting plasma tv's flat?

Out of the two options personally I would go with removing the screen from the packaging and, as suggested by trevor and shaithis, use seat belts and packaging to keep it upright on the back seat.

Clunk click every trip:)

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

What about putting a plasma on its side briefly?

My new plasma is going upstairs, and will need to be stood on one side to get it round the corner from the top of the stairs and through a door.

MCMLXXXVIII

I've stored a plasma screen stood on its side for a week without any problems

Trevor

Thanks Trevor.:thumbsup:

I should mention that the TV is still in its box.

I'm wondering if the polystyrene packing inside will be sufficient padding to prevent any potential cracking.

Stationary, you can do what you like with it, no problem. NEVER NEVER transport flat, I'm afraid that Trevor is simply wrong, it's nothing to do with support for the glass, it's in fact the 'bounce back' which is more dangerous. Some of the internals are very close to the glass, and the slightest contact between them will break the glass.

Turns out I didn't need to upend it once the top of the box was removed.:)

MAW said:
Stationary, you can do what you like with it, no problem. NEVER NEVER transport flat, I'm afraid that Trevor is simply wrong, it's nothing to do with support for the glass, it's in fact the 'bounce back' which is more dangerous. Some of the internals are very close to the glass, and the slightest contact between them will break the glass.

The guys from Currys that delivered mine told me exactly the same thing... I'm about to be moving myself very soon. Thankfully i kept the box and would advise anyone to keep it up right at all times.. Even if it'll cost you a little bit extra and have it transported safetly :thumbsup:

Put mine flat in the back of my estate. Had no problems with it and the bloke at Richer Sounds said he'd had none either.

I even unpacked and installed it without help.

Had I known the potential pitfalls I'd have done things a lot differently.

Some guys on here have had a few horror stories to tell us about their plasmas glass being smashed when being delivered, and showing us the evidence !! :eek: It's not a pretty sight i can tell you :lesson: :suicide:

My original question was partly motivated by the fact that I would take more care of the screen if I were transporting it. I have seen the way some delivery companies treat things - despite having 'fragile' or 'this way up' printed on the box.

Right I've just bought a second hand PWD6 and am collecting it later today. It comes with no packaging at all and will have to be collected in a VW golf. From reading this and other threads I plan to wrap the screen in a few towels to prevent scratching then sit it upright on the rear seats and if possible use the seatbelts and a superking size duvet to secure in place. My plan is to fill the whole space up to the back of the front seats with the duvet to prevent movement.

I'm guessing the screen should face away from the direction of travel as the greater force is likely to come from having to suddenly brake and not sudden acceleration (I'll be driving like Miss Daisy!!)??

Any other helpfuls tips will be gratefully received.

Richard

Glass forwards, do up the seat belts, no pressure on the glass. Your plan is otherwise fine, go for it.

I collected a PV500 laid out flat in the box in the back of an estate car, drove about 50 miles, speed bumps the lot with no problems - guess I was very lucky :rolleyes:

Well by means of an update I safely got my 42" PWD6 home upright on the rear seats of my girlfriends VW Golf.

Thanks to GAmbrose for helping me load it up and for the sale of a quality panel. I went for glass facing forward seatbelted in with a large duvet wrapped around and tucked into the seatbelts and also some slow and careful driving!!!

Richard

It's the nervousness of a new plasma owner! When you've had a few hundred in the car, you get a bit more cavalier. Smoke from all 4 wheels on my new Legacy is not unknown.

Driving Miss Daisy versus MAW!

I wouldn't like to get in the middle of that!

MAW said:
It's the nervousness of a new plasma owner!

Not that I know myself yet but I've heard its the same sort of thing when driving the misses and newborn child home from the hospital!!!

:lesson: On a serious note if it hadn't been for the advice here I wouldn't have known any better then laying it flat!!

Thanks to all :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom