Question Transporting plasma 64 inch tv advise please

a1blues

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to pick up a tv next weekend and it is a 64 inch plasma
I will be taking a ford ranger truck to pick it up and the tv will be boxed.
However, the problem is that all advise suggests that the tv should be transported upright in the box and definately not layed flat on its side.
I cannot fit the tv in to the truck upright because of the truck part being too short.
However, I can lay the box up on its side (on its short side - not flat down)
I cannot find any advise if this ok to do.
Any advise?
Thanks
tv box position.jpg

First question, is this an older plasma TV, or a current / modern LCD?

Old 1st and 2nd generation plasma had very heavy glass screens that could easily crack if laid down and not supported for transportation. Later screens used much lighter construction and the issues were far less. LCD screens generally don't care how they are transported, as the method of construction makes any damage much less likely.

Transporting anything but the very oldest screens as you describe should be totally fine. Here's hoping you get the weather!

First question, is this an older plasma TV, or a current / modern LCD?

Old 1st and 2nd generation plasma had very heavy glass screens that could easily crack if laid down and not supported for transportation. Later screens used much lighter construction and the issues were far less. LCD screens generally don't care how they are transported, as the method of construction makes any damage much less likely.

Transporting anything but the very oldest screens as you describe should be totally fine. Here's hoping you get the weather!

Hi there, thanks for the reply.
It is 2013 ps64f8500 plasma samsung.

Hopefully will be ok as not looking good lol.

Looks like I should be ok with transporting upright then, so cheers for the help, appreciated.

Hi there, thanks for the reply.
It is 2013 ps64f8500 plasma samsung.

Hopefully will be ok as not looking good lol.

Looks like I should be ok with transporting upright then, so cheers for the help, appreciated.
I have this TV and its a heavy bugger hope you got on OK. Ps cracking TV and still the reason I haven't upgraded to 4k/hdr yet

I have this TV and its a heavy bugger hope you got on OK. Ps cracking TV and still the reason I haven't upgraded to 4k/hdr yet

All sorted, took a transit van in the end and used straps to secure it in the van.
TV is excellent as you state tintin jones - I used to have this tv in the past but it ended up faulty with flashing red power light and refusing to come on.

@a1blues I've only just seen this thread, otherwise I would have written earlier. I'm glad you got a bigger vehicle in the end. Did you transport the television vertically with its longer side downwards, as in the left-hand of your two schematic diagrams? Last year at various times I got Anyvan to transport two 65"Panasonic plasmas and then a 60" Samsung plasma and lastly a 60" LG plasma, all kept strictly upright!

@a1blues I've only just seen this thread, otherwise I would have written earlier. I'm glad you got a bigger vehicle in the end. Did you transport the television vertically with its longer side downwards, as in the left-hand of your two schematic diagrams? Last year at various times I got Anyvan to transport two 65"Panasonic plasmas and then a 60" Samsung plasma and lastly a 60" LG plasma, all kept strictly upright!

@SonOfSJ I got the tv in the correct position, ie. upright like a tv would be on its stand but of course in its box.
I have not heard of anyvan, wish I had known about them prior.
Do they box the tv if you have no box from the pickup point?

@a1blues Anyvan can be found here Move Anything Anywhere. FREE Delivery Quotes - AnyVan.com. A typical price that I was quoted was about £125 to transport a Panasonic 65ST50 plasma from Manchester to Edinburgh, with £10,000 worth of insurance, with about a week's notice - it gets more expensive if you book with less notice. No, they won't box the TV for you, they do expect it to be in a suitable box. However, if you don't have a suitable box, not all is lost. I paid each of the sellers of the four televisions an extra £25 for them to buy a duvet and bubble wrap to cover the television with, so it was safe enough. This is what one of the Panasonic 65ST50s looked like initially:
IMG_7485.JPG

And now after a layer of bubble wrap, looking from the rear this time:
IMG_7491.JPG

And then finally with a duvet around everything:
IMG_7496.JPG

Well worth the extra £25 I paid for the bubble wrap and duvet, I thought. This final picture is now suitable to be collected by AnyVan. By the way, I got quotes from AnyVan for a two-person collection. With televisions of 60 inches and greater, that's really too big to be collected by one person. If you choose a single-person collection, then it's cheaper, but then you would be expected to help the driver carry it out to the van, and just in case something goes wrong I wanted no part of it, hence I wanted the two-person collection. Typically, if a two-person collection costs about £125, then a single-person collection would be about £90, so you would save yourself some money, but I like peace of mind!

By the way, I forgot to congratulate you on your new Samsung PS64D8500 plasma. I used to have a Samsung PS64D800 television, but yours is two generations newer, and better. It is without a doubt the brightest plasma television that was ever made, and in my view it ranks alongside the Panasonic 65VT65, Panasonic 60ZT65 and Pioneer Kuro 600M or 600A as the best plasma televisions that were ever made. In case you've not seen it, review here Samsung PS64F8500 review - Televisions and here Samsung PS64F8500 (F8500) Plasma TV Review and here Samsung PS64F8500 Review | Trusted Reviews.

Enjoy!

@a1blues Anyvan can be found here Move Anything Anywhere. FREE Delivery Quotes - AnyVan.com. A typical price that I was quoted was about £125 to transport a Panasonic 65ST50 plasma from Manchester to Edinburgh, with £10,000 worth of insurance, with about a week's notice - it gets more expensive if you book with less notice. No, they won't box the TV for you, they do expect it to be in a suitable box. However, if you don't have a suitable box, not all is lost. I paid each of the sellers of the four televisions an extra £25 for them to buy a duvet and bubble wrap to cover the television with, so it was safe enough. This is what one of the Panasonic 65ST50s looked like initially:
View attachment 987953
And now after a layer of bubble wrap, looking from the rear this time:
View attachment 987954

And then finally with a duvet around everything:
View attachment 987955
Well worth the extra £25 I paid for the bubble wrap and duvet, I thought. This final picture is now suitable to be collected by AnyVan. By the way, I got quotes from AnyVan for a two-person collection. With televisions of 60 inches and greater, that's really too big to be collected by one person. If you choose a single-person collection, then it's cheaper, but then you would be expected to help the driver carry it out to the van, and just in case something goes wrong I wanted no part of it, hence I wanted the two-person collection. Typically, if a two-person collection costs about £125, then a single-person collection would be about £90, so you would save yourself some money, but I like peace of mind!

By the way, I forgot to congratulate you on your new Samsung PS64D8500 plasma. I used to have a Samsung PS64D800 television, but yours is two generations newer, and better. It is without a doubt the brightest plasma television that was ever made, and in my view it ranks alongside the Panasonic 65VT65, Panasonic 60ZT65 and Pioneer Kuro 600M or 600A as the best plasma televisions that were ever made. In case you've not seen it, review here Samsung PS64F8500 review - Televisions and here Samsung PS64F8500 (F8500) Plasma TV Review and here Samsung PS64F8500 Review | Trusted Reviews.

Enjoy!

Hi thanks for the huge response, very comprehensive and informative, I will definitely look into the company next time I need to transport a tv.
The tv I got seems really good, I did have one before and that was excellent, this one seems good too, although there seems a problem with the black optimiser, which when on the dark setting causes a weird ghosting effect.
I have done some research and I have found other people with this problem, either needs a new panel or a replacement y board.
The panel wouldn't be easily replaced as they don't make them anymore.
Think I will just live with it, as I can just turn the black optimiser off and problem solved.
I have also a zd9 sony which is very good tv too for led.
However, this plasma is something else for 1080p stuff, really pops!!!

I have also a zd9 sony which is very good tv too for led.
However, this plasma is something else for 1080p stuff, really pops!!!
In that case you should have a signature and list all your lovely kit so that everyone can see what you have! I would have a longer signature but I ran out of allowed number of characters!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom