Transporting an LCD

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Does anyone know if it is a good idea to transport an LCD in back of car, ie lying down (in its new packaging of course). Someone has said that it is not and it should only be vertical.

Eyewhy

You can lie LCDs down to transport them with no problems.
It's plamsa that must be kept upright.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
I guess I was a liitle slow at the time. I was in Comet asking about delivery costs, and the guy said "£20 for delivery - worth it as you really need to keep an LCD upright - Plasmas can be laid down". Of course my interest was an LCD - had I been interested in buying a plasma, I would probably got a reverse story. Mmmm.

DongaTon

Hmm, can anyone else elaborate on this please?

I'm almost sorted pricematching for a SAmmy LE40686 from John Lewis from Glasgow store, I pass it nearly every day and when I mentioned I'd be picking it up myself rather than shell out 20 quid or so for delivery, the customer advisor woman on the phone started saying that JL would not be responsible for damage during transit and warranty would be voided, and advised that LCDs are not to be laid down and must remain upright?
I said that I thought that'd be the case for Plasma screens, but she countered that it was even more essential you don't do it for a liquid crystal display.....

Am I getting fleeced for a few more quid, or should I listen! :)

Marmite

Novice Member
I think you might be getting fleeced. I purchased my Sony 40w4000 yesterday evening and placed it horizontally in the back of my Citroen hatchback with no problems (touch wood) after driving through London for about 40 mins. And there were loads of horrible bumps along the way!

What i would say is dont expect the actual screen to be protected in the box by a load of foam. Bizarrely the foam was all down the side parts in my box, with nothing protecting the screen itself other than some lightweight foamy sheets.

Just dont put the screen face down on a petruding edge, and you should be ok i reckon.

Hope that helps.

DongaTon

Thanks mate, though I suppose that's the reason why they say not to transport it face down, cos the foam and polystyrene ARE on the edges! :)

Hmmm....anyone else.

darren68uk

Thanks mate, though I suppose that's the reason why they say not to transport it face down, cos the foam and polystyrene ARE on the edges! :)

Hmmm....anyone else.

I sold my LE46M87 to a guy in whitby( i live in somerset) i didnt have my box. but his son had same tv, so he couriered the box to me and the courier help box it, box was not in brilliant shape,. i helped the guy stick it in the transit, he was worried about it on the bends so we laid it down with screen facing upwards.....280 miles later. the buyer is extremely happy with it....

so i think your safe! just make sure box is well sucure and flat on floor, and nothing loose like car jacks etc, :0)

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
The only thing you need to worry about is putting pressure on the screen. Excess pressure will crack the panel.

If you lay the panel with the screen facing up, you should have no problems. If you lay the box with the screen facing down, you could be in for trouble. It all depends on the internal structure and how the screen is supported.
That's why they 'recommend' you keep it upright.

Another point to consider is that the screen (and frame) could flex unduly if the box is laying down and you hit some bumps. Again, that could crack the screen or the frame.

There used to be a time when it was thought that clouding was caused by laying the panel flat for transport. It's now widely accepted that clouding is a manufacturing defect, and not one that can be caused by transport method used!

Paul

MikeNolan

Novice Member
If you do a google search, you'll find that it would appear to be okay. I guess the main thing to do is to drive a reasonable speed without hitting any pot holes etc.

DongaTon

Well I've just gone ahead and getting it delivered on Monday, couldn't get to store to pick up til Mon anyway, 19.99. A fair price for peace of mind, and it not falling out the back of my Punto :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom