Transporting an LCD

HandsomeBWonderful

This probably sounds like a redundant question but I'd rather sound like an idiot than not ask and end up with a damaged screen. Anyway, I'm expecting delivery of a Sony KDL 32D3000E LCD this afternoon to my office but was wondering if it's ok to just put it lying down (boxed) in the boot of the car to bring home. I read somewhere that some screens should be transported standing up (plasmas maybe?) and was wondering if the same applies to LCDs?

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't recommend it but if you have to, make sure that nothing gets put on the box and it cannot slide about and drive very carefully. There will probably be a sign on the box not to do it.

Plasma's have glass over the screen and it has been known that the glass can shatter when going over bumps etc.

I did have a monitor that was packaged sideways in the box but it was 17" and not the sizes LCD TV's are now.

wega3k

I have moved house 3 times with my Sharp 32" GA6E and each time just stuck it in the boot of my car on its back on a load of other stuff, wrapped in a blanket. It's fine. No dead pixels or anything.

HandsomeBWonderful

Well my tv arrived (late) this morning and I was amazed at how small and light the actual packaging was - so small in fact that I could fit it standing up on the back seat of my car. Result :thumbsup:

My old Philips widescreen CRT took 2 people to lift and came in a box that could have happily housed a family of refugees. Progress is great.

I'll probably still drive like a granny bringing it home though :D

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Is it best laying an LCD TV screen up or screen down (if you had no choice but to lay it down that is)?

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I would have the screen up and make sure nothing goes on top of it.

My 32" Hannspree box was massive. It took two people to move it. There was a lot of protective packaging inside.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom