• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Transporting a plasma flat

hillsofpen

Standard Member
I had to face a tricky situation this week and wanted to share the outcome....

I decided to buy a new plasma - 46 inch PAnasonic. Knowing how big the boxes are and that they need to be transported vertically I went on the panasonic website to get the external box dimensions - of course it wasnt there (or if it is, I couldnt find it) - so I rang the shop in advance and got them to measure the box. Based on what they said it would just fit in the back of the car upright so I set off on the 30 mile trip to get it. After paying and getting back to the car to load up I discovered that the box was about an inch too high (so much for shop assistants using a tape measure.....). Knowing about the horror stories of cracked screens I thought about taking it out of the box and resting it against the back seats but decided this would be too risky as I had nothing to pack it securing in the back. As the shop doesnt deliver, in the end I decided to take the chance and load it flat. After getting it back it works perfectly. So, although this is only a sample size of one, just goes to show it is possible to transport a plasma flat without incident - althoughI certainly wouldn't recommend it for your blood pressure!

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Certainly keeping it in the original box helps a lot, the packing material will help absorb shocks.

encaser

Distinguished Member
Simple answer would be you were lucky, in that, all of the manufacturers clearly state that plasmas/lcds should be transported in the upright position.
Why am I getting a flashback to The Deer Hunter Russian Roulette scene?:eek:

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
You can get away with transporting them flat as long as there are no big jolts, but if it did break I am sure the manufacturer wouldn't be very helpful. You would have been better of just taking off the top foam and trying to put it back on once in the car. It is suprising how big the boxes are, always ask on here for dimensions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom