Transport LCD without car?

Daveid

Standard Member
OK guys I'm at uni at the moment and I'm LE26R41BD delivered here any day from Freemans :D
Only problem is easter break's on the 24th of March for a month (wooh) and I want to take my new baby home with me, (100 miles away) I have a big wheelie suitcase which I could fit it in with some bubble wrap and clothes for padding but it might be a squeeze with my other stuff. Also the LCD would be at say 45degree angle faced down for all the time i lugged it around, i could probably get it the right way up whilst it's on the train but I'm more worried about the pulling bit.
Would it damage the TV you think? I need help guys! My parents refuse to pick me up :(
 
I

in2deep

Guest
I suspect you'll damage it. If you put too much pressure on the screen face, you'll damage the LCD behind it - I saw it happen with a laptop, where the user had put something on the keyboard and closed the lid (!), and it had totally trashed the screen, so he had to use the external vga connector from then on!!

I don't think the angle would be too bad, although they generally are supposed to be kept vertical.

Is there no way you can find a friendly person with a car to give you a lift?
 

Daveid

Standard Member
My gf offered but she won't have passed her test lol :(
If I can find something to put over the screen it might be doable
Does anyone know what the front of the panel's like on the LE26R41BD? Is it direct to the screen to touch like a laptop would be or is there like.. glass between it?
 

clockworks

Novice Member
Put it back in the original box, should be safe. After all, it got to your house from China this way.
Might need a bigger suitcase, though.
 

ianh64

Novice Member
Yeah, in my day it was a s/h car or a new pair of speakers. The car got my vote which as you can see is a much more practical option. Still got the car 20 years later - you would be hard pushed to do that with an LCD...I guess there won't be much of a market for classic LCD's.
 
G

Gavin83

Guest
Do you really need to take your TV home that much its worth the risk of damaging it?
 
D

dakara

Guest
If you can afford 800 [?] pounds for a TV whilst a student, you have got your priorities all wrong, and I agree with your parents refusing to come and collect you. Why do you actually need to carry it around with you. Surely you can do without it for a while.:lesson:
 
D

dakara

Guest
My apologies. I should have said 450 Pounds, but I still think that you need to sort out your lifestyle priorities.:oops:
 

Daveid

Standard Member
for a wholeeee month when I'd JUST got it? and it was £450 lol also it doesn't seem safe leaving it in Halls of residence... they're known to be prime targets for bugulars.
Hmmm if the box isn't too big it might fit in the suitcase :p I guess that's the only way i'm gonna get it back eh :(
I had been saving from my birthday and christmas and stuff to get a TV :p
 
D

dakara

Guest
OK Daveid,
on reflection, I guess that when I was a student, [many long years ago], that my priorities were very different to what they are now.
Regarding safe transport, why not get a piece of plywood, 6mm + thick, the same dimensions as the TV, and strap it to the front of the TV, which should prevent any pressure on the actual screen.
Best of luck any way, enjoy your break.:cool:
 

CO2000

Novice Member
Right I've had a think about your predicament........Here goes, what you need to do is run down the street with said LCD (No box & flex trailing behind you of course, watch you don't trip though:D ) soon the boys in blue will notice and give chase. After you answer all their questions (make sure your receipt is on you when your searched. Don't make it too hard to find though, you don't want to hear the snapping sound of surgical gloves being put on :eek::thumbsdow ) they "may" take you home (remember to give your Mum & Dads house address)

Sorted:thumbsup:

Failing that blackmail/guilt trip your parents so they pick you & TV up.:thumbsup:

Hope it woks out

Co.
 

Daveid

Standard Member
Awesome idea :D I'll give it a try for sure :smashin: hmmm, gonna have to think of a bribe for the second idea... hmmm

dakara said:
OK Daveid,
on reflection, I guess that when I was a student, [many long years ago], that my priorities were very different to what they are now.
Regarding safe transport, why not get a piece of plywood, 6mm + thick, the same dimensions as the TV, and strap it to the front of the TV, which should prevent any pressure on the actual screen.
Best of luck any way, enjoy your break.:cool:

also a good idea! *heads down to that place... that sells wood, i forget the name*]

thanks guys
 

neiljones

Novice Member
under no circumstances lay an lcd face down
It must be kept upright
You will cause serious damage to the pixels at a later date
If you had a B & O tv there is a built in chip that identifies if it has been stored wrongly-the guarantee would be invalidated in the event of a claim
I have read numerous articles in the letters page of this magazine referring to the above storage process
NJ:lesson: :lesson: :lesson:
 

Daveid

Standard Member
neiljones said:
under no circumstances lay an lcd face down
It must be kept upright
You will cause serious damage to the pixels at a later date
If you had a B & O tv there is a built in chip that identifies if it has been stored wrongly-the guarantee would be invalidated in the event of a claim
I have read numerous articles in the letters page of this magazine referring to the above storage process
NJ:lesson: :lesson: :lesson:
AH ha... I was waiting for that one, I better find some way to get my parents to do it then :( thanks for the help
 

mistygreenandbl

Standard Member
Repackage the LCD back up in it's original transportation box, pick up the phone and arrange for a courier to pick up and deliver to your parents address. You then travel back home for the Easter break stress free.
 

Daveid

Standard Member
mistygreenandbl said:
Repackage the LCD back up in it's original transportation box, pick up the phone and arrange for a courier to pick up and deliver to your parents address. You then travel back home for the Easter break stress free.
That's an intriguing idea!:eek: probably cost me a bit though... that'll be a last resort hehe good idea though:D
 

mistygreenandbl

Standard Member
Daveid said:
That's an intriguing idea!:eek: probably cost me a bit though... that'll be a last resort hehe good idea though:D

Since the LCD has yet to reach you, another option is to contact Freemans and change the delivery address from your Uni halls to your parents address, then you only have to worry about transporting the unit back when you return from your Easter break.
 

neilmcl

Member
neiljones said:
under no circumstances lay an lcd face down
It must be kept upright
You will cause serious damage to the pixels at a later date
If you had a B & O tv there is a built in chip that identifies if it has been stored wrongly-the guarantee would be invalidated in the event of a claim
I have read numerous articles in the letters page of this magazine referring to the above storage process
NJ:lesson: :lesson: :lesson:
Laying an LCD panel face down for short periods of time will NOT damage it, if that were the case then any laptop owner would be in serious trouble.
 

Daveid

Standard Member
mistygreenandbl said:
Since the LCD has yet to reach you, another option is to contact Freemans and change the delivery address from your Uni halls to your parents address, then you only have to worry about transporting the unit back when you return from your Easter break.
I tried changing the delivery address before and they didn't let me :(
 

CO2000

Novice Member
RE - Failing that blackmail/guilt trip your parents so they pick you & TV up.


Daveid said:
Awesome idea :D I'll give it a try for sure :smashin: hmmm, gonna have to think of a bribe for the second idea... hmmm

Well there was that bit on Radio 1 that Scott Mills did last week when a student said he picked up a box of his old video's from his Mum & Dads.
He went thought them & he thought one tape was knacked when it went all fuzzy but then his Dad appeared unclothed & then his Mum !!!!!!!!!!!! You get the picture.......:eek:
You could mention you have a "home movie" to give back to them & come & pick you & said LCD up !!!

Or badger someone else at Freemans to change the delivery address that may be easier :D

Let us know what happens.

Co.
 

CYMRAES

Novice Member
mistygreenandbl had the right idea and gave you very good advice when he said:

Repackage the LCD back up in it's original transportation box, pick up the phone and arrange for a courier to pick up and deliver to your parents address. You then travel back home for the Easter break stress free.
Although you said it would probably cost you a bit, just imagine if something did happen in transit how much it would cost you then!

If it gets damaged, can you afford to fork out for another?
 

Caprylate

Novice Member
Keep asking your parents to pick you up, they have a car, and they are family, so they should help out, its the right thing to do, and would benefit you greatly. Just keep using the wonder that is pester power until they give in. Also make sure they give you a lift back to Uni too!:smashin:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom