Quantcast

Transplant Operation

I

iMac UK

Hey there, I wonder if anyone can help me, please?

I have the following components from my old (broken) PC which I'd like to transfer into a nice shiny new one:

Gainward GeForce FX 5950 AGPx8
Soundblaster Audigy 2 PCI
120GB Seagate IDE HD
40GB Seagate IDE HD (XP Pro installed)
DVDRW/CDRW Combo Drive
2x512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Iiyama 17" LCD Monitor

I guess all I need is a new case, motherboard and CPU. I've been looking around at the Shuttle systems and other barebones types, but it's all a bit confusing as to what is compatible with my current components.

Can anyone recommend a barebones setup to house my old gear? Or perhaps somebody out there has done a similar 'transplant' recently? If so, how did it go? Anything to be aware of?

I guess I'd like my new case/mobo to be fairly future proof, maybe PCI-Express, lots of USB and firewire ports etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a few hundred quid to spend - but obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible! It's been a few years since I last bought a PC and I'm a bit out of touch with recent developments. Thanks!

Kopite4Ever

Novice Member
well if you want a PCI-E mobo then your Gfx card will not work for a start. last time as well i checked the shuttles that had PCI-E did not have a standard PCI slot. you could probably pick up an old Skt A barebones shuttle which is AGP so Gfx will be ok. then its a case of getting a Athlon Skt A CPU and your away. all depends on your budget as well because if you want a new future proof PC then you fork out for a new Gfx card and the CPU will be costing more for eg a 64 bit processor. you could compromise and go a P4 route

I

iMac UK

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, yes - I should have said I'd really like to keep my current GFX card. So AGP socket is a must. I was thinking maybe you could get AGP and PCI-E on the same board? So I could upgrade in a year or two....?

Kopite4Ever

Novice Member
nope i aint seen PCI-E and AGP on the same board especially not in a shuttle. for future you will need a 64 bit processor as well. there are 3-4 shuttle that are 64bit on the old AGP boards, head on over to the shuttle site to have a gander :)

Top Bottom