1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transitions not working in premiere yet did before

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Merlin, May 14, 2005.

1. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just put a dissolve transition between overlapping video 1a and 1b in a/b mode in the transition band in my second ever project and played it, nothing dissolves, just get 1b appear after brief flash of black, though no black in the overlapping footage. Tried dissolve arrow both ways .

I open my first successful project that had working dissolves (simple fades from a to b, play those and again get nothing this time, again a sudden change to video 1b after a quick flash of black, though they did work before.

Having just read a tutorial about how to add video tracks and use rubberband fades, I create video 2 and 3, drag the two tracks to these, and transparency fade vid 3 out and the underlying vid 2 in over the same time span, play it and get vid 2 suddenly appear as 100% opacity despite vid 3 still having a few secs to run, and during that run, vid 2 is lovely and clear, then when its just underlying vid 2 available, it loses quality a little, not so bright and crisp.

What is happening here ?

I am winXPhome and Premiere 6.5, 3.4GHz and 2Gb ddram.

Merlin :lease:

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check you have enough handles on each clip (i.e. if you want your transition to last 1 second, there must be at least 1 second spare at each end of your souce clip (beyond the edit point you 've selected on the timeline)

3. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roy, Thanks, you are saying ensure the overlap is 1 second for a 1 sec transition and have 1 sec without transition beyond this...yes? It easily meets this though, but why is it that also those that worked in the first project refuse to work now when I run that project again.

I also played back the captured avi and watched in amazement as I had 1 fps, people jumping about, the other 24 not being shown. Played the avi via another prog and smooth motion so the avi file was ok. rebooted Premiere and tried again and all was ok, except for these transitions.

Another suggestion is upgrade DirectX..I have 9.0a and latest is 9.0c, or reinstall Premiere, yet I have only used it once and successfully, though one of the eight or sotransitions failed on the final write to DVD. Is this typical ...I thought Premiere was top dog.
    Merlin

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check keyframe settings, when you render to avi it should give you the option of 'keyframe every..frames', try this set to 1 frame.

5. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have removed and reinstalled Premiere yet still transitions do not happen. :( :suicide:

e.g. I put the cursor before a transition, I have video 1a overlapping video 1b by 2 secs with a cross fade of 2 secs in the transition line between the two. I press play and just get video 1a, then 1a with a black cross top left, then single frame with faint grey X in middle and straight into video 1b.

Also note the image goes brighter a little during the period where the transition should happen.

Now this worked fine when first created, and so did the dvd made from it, just one transition failed though., but they all worked when viewed within premiere prior to dvd mpeg export.

Is it just a silly setting, but surely premiere out of the box should solve it ?

My transitions worked from the outset after the first ever install, since then I removed AdobeMPEG1.1, for install of MainConcept Standalone MPEG encoder, then installed TMPencDVD author.
    Not sure if I played the project again before using these to create the MPEG and DVD.
    Since then :-
    Installed Shockwave Player 10
    WinRAR for rar files
    Breezebrowser for digital pics.
    Plextor firmware upgrade for Plextor CD/DVD burner

If I go Project>Project Settings>Keyframe with my first functional project open, keyframes settings are greyed out.
    I didnt make any keyframe settings with my first project, the transitions just worked, now they dont, even for that one. :confused:

:lease:

Quicktime 6.5
    WinXPhome

Merlin