1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transformers the movie reconstructed, Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Sep 7, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    OK, I have no idea how to review a movie, but here goes.
    Please note that this is not an official forum review and is just my opinion of the DVD and movie and not endorsed by The avforums . :)

First things first.
    this movie is not a wide screen version in the traditonal sense. When the film was shown in the cinema it was masked off at the top and bottom to create a widescreen version of the film. What they have done for this release is as follows.
    From the booklet.

for our new telecine we wanted to show the entire image the animators meant you to see. there is no convenient way to refer to this non-standard format of film transfer,however the process we applied can be describe thus.
    35mm film has a native aspect ratio of 1.33:1. The 35mm negative had been shot by several different animators using various size gates, therefore framing is inconsistant.
    In order to respect the full film frame and place it within the widescreen video format of 16:9, the telecine was set up to create an anamorphic transfer which results in a side curtained 1.33 image within a 16:9 ratio.
    The resulting master preserves the entire field of potential viewable negative; a slight zoom and mask means that the framing remains consistent throughout-but without losing any picture information.

In a nut shell. The image is slightly wider than standard 4.3, so when its being displayed you get black bars at the side of the picture, but not as thick as you would if it was a standard 4.3 image.

The movie. 8/10

Now you are either going to like transformers or your not. I like this movie, but I don't think it will convert anyone who dislikes the whole matell , cartoon tie in, to become a fan.
    Its a basic tale of good Vs evil on a galatic scale with giant transforming robots trying to destroy each other, and an even bigger transforming robot trying to destroy everything and everyone else. Thats all you need to know because this movie really plays like an early Michael Bay audition. Explosions and violence on an epic scale and a pretty high body count considering its a cartoon.
    Like I said, if you were a fan of the original transformers TV series, your going to love it. If not, then you wont.

The picture.7.5/10

Well it looks good to me, I have heard of some people being disappointed with the actual transfer but to my eyes it looks a hell of a lot better than the region 1 NTSC copy I also have on dvd from a few years ago. That said the aspect ratio of the movie takes a little getting used to, but I don't think it takes anything away from the film. After all ,the whole point of the DVD is to show off the entire image, and to do that properly you have to have the side curtains on the screen. Colours look like they are supposed to. Optimus prime is the red he should be and the whole picture looks a lot lighter and more natural(if you can use natural to describe animation) than previous transferees.

Sound.6/10

Well, a whole new dolby digital 5.1 mix + a 2 channel stereo mix is present on the disc. The sound is a lot better than previous DVDs of the film, but not perfect. Effects have been added, which I don't have a problem with, but some effects have been replaced by others. What they have done to Prime's gun is unforgivable and something which should never have been allowed to happen. The whole unique sound of his weapon has been replaced with something that stands out so much it almost ruins the movie(for me any way).
    The 80s rock songs sound as good as ever, as does Vince Dicolas incidental music, with tracks like Dare and The touch ocompaning particular standout moments during the movie. Bass is pretty good too and an huge improvement over the previous DVD releases.

Extras 5/10

Movie script DVD rom content.
    US trailer.
    Japanese Trailer.
    12 TV spots
    alternate US UK version footage.
    Title checks
    Character Biographies
    The first (english subtitled) episode of Takara "headmasters"

Not very interesting stuff and you wont go back to them once watched.

This release really could have been better. The sound while better than other releases of the movie has been messed around with, and that really wasn't needed. The extras are very poor to. How about inteviews with some of the voice cast, a making of feature. Interviews with the animators? got to be better than TV spots surely? The picture is better and the widescreen ratio is all I really bought this DVD for . So, because it is a better transfer than previous releases, I give the whole package 7.5/10.

Dave.

Attached Files:

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    So, anyone else got this yet?
    would anyone like to add any thoughts on this release? :)

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Good review, will have to wait to see this version as i've seen about 3 different ones so far.

4. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The extra features are very poor. Seems they've blew their budget on the remastering and couldn't do anything else.

I like how clean the picture is, although I think the transfer overcompensates for the darkness of previous transfers. It's good to see the cut which I saw in the cinema. When I saw it in 1986 it didn't have the starwars opening.

The aspect ratio is okay. It would have preferred a full widescreen image, even if that meant cropping the picture. I would really like to see it again as I did in the cinema. However, I have noticed that the picture is high quality enough to use the zoom on my player and imitate widescreen.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
  6. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19