Transformers: The Last Knight Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Bay may have been wanting out,but i think that the big box office of these turds and the limited one of the "serious" medium budget movies,which he does on the side,means he probably has to stay onboard in order to finance his projects.He simply doesn't care for this franchise anymore,so no surprise that he has turned it into a total parody.The Chinese are lapping them up and to be fair the Fast and the Furious,Star Wars and most Marvel franchises are almost as bad now,but are still printing money.

Almost everything else,including big-budget movies like BR 2049 and Valerian,is flopping,so Hollywood is complaining that times are tough.Well,keep on shoving liberal agenda in almost every movie,regardless of genre or thematic content!

BTW,i havent seen a native 4k UHD in a long time,but they are still almost double the price of the regular Blu-Ray.Come on now,2k DI when movies are starting to be filmed in 8k!

Watched my UHD at the weekend,
Technically this film is outstanding.
The Picture on offer is pure reference grade, it really does look gorgeous. Every shot has something interesting or pretty to look at, one of the best UHDs around and one that doesn’t look unnecessarily dark, there’s a great balance between the highlights and darker scenes, colours are really lush too across the board too.
Audio wise- again, amazing!
It could've turned into a horrible cacophony of noise but the sound engineers have out-done themselves, everything is beautifullly balanced all around the soundstage, with the (rather quite good) score coming through all around very nicely.
LFE is also well thought out, it never goes into ‘middy’ boomy territory, it’s always tight & impactful & it digs pretty low on a few occasions.
For the AV heads out there you won’t be disappointed.

The Butler was the only saving grace in this turkey, dunno why I keep going to the cinema to watch these. not worth a buy in any rez.

I'll be buying this on UHD for the Dolby Vision / Atmos - but that's about it, though saying that my 9yo boy loved it! The film itself isn't great at all.

Bay may have been wanting out,but i think that the big box office of these turds and the limited one of the "serious" medium budget movies,which he does on the side,means he probably has to stay onboard in order to finance his projects.He simply doesn't care for this franchise anymore,so no surprise that he has turned it into a total parody.The Chinese are lapping them up and to be fair the Fast and the Furious,Star Wars and most Marvel franchises are almost as bad now,but are still printing money.

Almost everything else,including big-budget movies like BR 2049 and Valerian,is flopping,so Hollywood is complaining that times are tough.Well,keep on shoving liberal agenda in almost every movie,regardless of genre or thematic content!

BTW,i havent seen a native 4k UHD in a long time,but they are still almost double the price of the regular Blu-Ray.Come on now,2k DI when movies are starting to be filmed in 8k!

How on earth can you compare this to The latest Star Wars/Marvel films?!?!?!?

I think the two 'new' SW films we've had so far have been excellent. And the Marvel films are very good too (though I was slightly disappointed with the latest Spiderman), I am still enjoying them and looking forward to Thor, Black Panther and the latest Avengers.

Transformers: The Last Knight is a tough watch but for those who simply have to see it, trust me, the first and last half hour will suffice and be more than enough (and would probably leave you bumping the score up by at least a point; maybe two). Sitting through the two hours in between will just hurt your head.
It's not that bad, and doing as you suggested would miss out most of the Anthony Hopkins scenes who brings a touch of gravitas to the movie. I'd even be happy to watch him reading his shopping list (especially if it included fava beans and a nice chianti). :)

Last edited:

I think the two 'new' SW films we've had so far have been excellent. And the Marvel films are very good too (though I was slightly disappointed with the latest Spiderman), I am still enjoying them and looking forward to Thor, Black Panther and the latest Avengers.

Bit bored by the marvel films these days but I totally agree on the SW front

These are all budget and no brain or heart type movies unlike SW which has the balance of these all. Arguably Rogue One is better than others in the orig trilogy therefore you cannot possibly compare

+1 on the butler saving grace comment too

I'll be buying this cannon fodder just so I can watch the reference Dolby Vision picture on my OLED. :laugh:
Plus my little nephew keeps asking when it's arriving..:devil:
Well that's my excuse...:rotfl:

IMAO this stuff is the best looking UHD i seen

Such a shame they seem to have ruined these, Last one I watched was the first one with Wahlberg, I could not even tell you if there has been another as that pretty much put me off!

The first one had a bit of magic, And some new eye candy, Which helped!

Just for the demo factor I may have to pick this up used here on the forums when it's going for peanuts...which I presume will be soon :laugh:

Bad as creatively bankrupt and cynically commercial,pandering to the lowest common denominator and worldwide audiences.The Avengers and the standalone stuff are getting boring and they have always been hit and miss,the only recent ones that i rate are Spiderman and Deadpool.DC are worse,only Wonder Woman has been decent.I am not into Star Wars,but i know fans who didnt like the new stuff at all.All IMO,of course.

It doesnt matter,all franchises are guilty of recycling,rearranging,remodelling and repainting the same old s__t.Jurassic Park,Apes,Aliens,etc.On the other hand risky and ambitious projects like BR 2049 and Valerian crash at the box office.Let's see how Avatar turns out.

At least the art house scene and the smaller budget entertainment are still producing the odd gem.

Out of all the Transformers i have seen this one has the most balanced sound clear details with nice low bass when needed, the film itself is very bad the worst of the series, but cant knock the audio and visuals

No criticism intended at anyone who chooses to buy this, but I'm always intrigued at posters who say, "terrible film but demo reference".

Why on earth would anyone want to sit through a film that was rubbish but looked and sounded good? It's like eating candyfloss every day!

I know perception of the Arts is entirely subjective and that no two people will experience something similarly, but I take little pleasure in spending precious time with something bad, no matter what the presentation.

I love my Home Cinema and do understand why someone would want to enjoy theirs to the max, but in a similar way to gaming, I don't care about graphics, more about whether something is enjoyable and engaging.

A Home Cinema is meant to service a film, not the other way round for me.

This disc looks amazing.

It should be noted In the review, that the outstanding visuals are because 98% of the movie was filmed with IMAX cameras, and it shows in nearly every scene.

This film look wonderful...
37718156892_002d46f7c8_c.jpg

This disc looks amazing.

It should be noted In the review, that the outstanding visuals are because 98% of the movie was filmed with IMAX cameras, and it shows in nearly every scene.

does this mean the IMAX scenes would use the full 4K resolution of the UHD disc format, or are they still limited by the 2K DI? Same question I guess goes for Star Trek Into Darkness.

does this mean the IMAX scenes would use the full 4K resolution of the UHD disc format, or are they still limited by the 2K DI? Same question I guess goes for Star Trek Into Darkness.
I think for both it's still the 2K DI, but more of it screen and pixel wise. More than happy to be wrong though.

It’s a 2K DI all the way through.

And it looks incredible!

2K was what I saw at the cinema as well & that was on a 18m x 10m IMAX screen.
So it’s more than enough for my paltry 65 incher!

This was the worst Transformers movie i saw. Was prepared for some "Bay-fun", but this was way to much to me (and to my wife as well)...

It's a mess of 'very hard to follow' action and talking scenes. Bad "acting" and even worst cuts. Maybe that's why it was almost impossible to catch up with the happenings on the screen. Technically i think the very fist Transformers movie (or even Armageddon) was excellent so there is not much to say here... :(

Enjoyed the previous, but this series just got worst with Mark Wahlberg i think.

Last edited:
Well, I was reluctant to order the UHD based on reviews, just finished watching it on the JVC X9500 and only recovered my jaw from the floor now. What a stunning presentation. This finally shows what UHD (and atmos) is about, I couldn't care less about the movie itself as I was in awe state throughout the film. The last 30min was a big mess but audio visually woow.

Enjoyed the previous, but this series just got worst with Mark Wahlberg i think.
Brat worst?
"mark-wahlberg-the-brat-who-become-one-class-a-actors", pointless giving the link to this article as it's in Indonesian apart from that title

Or wurst as he has the acting skills of a german sausage? Odd then that he didn't get to do a voice over in Sausage Party. There was a part just sitting there for his talents... :)

Either way I think I prefer him to Shia LaBeouf in these movies.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom