1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transformers live action movie news!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Jul 24, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Check out this link for a video message from steven spielberge about the up comming transformers movie and the release date!

http://www.transformerslive.com/

Oh yes!! :thumbsup:

2. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Oh........my.........God :thumbsup:

How cool it that - cant wait - ill have to see if i can dig out my Optimus Prime & Soundwave (yes ive still got them!!!)

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Also just a note on the new DVD release of the original animated version of the film.

PRODUCTS: The news room of www.seibertron.com has been in contact with Metrodome, the UK based company that will release both the 1986 Transformers: The Movie as well as the Japanese HeadMasters Transformers series in Europe. We are able to give you an update on both these titles. The following are quotes from our contact with Metrodome.

"'Transformers The Movie - Reconstructed' will be released on 29th August 2005. We're going back to the original picture negative and doing a brand new telecine. It will be 16:9 Widesceen Anamorphic, but will have curtains as the viewable image is 1.33:1 and 1.78:1 and it changes scene by scene. We wanted to give the fans the maximum possible Transformer image. Everything the laminators drew will be visible and this will be the first time anyone, anywhere would have seen the whole movie in its original form. It should be quite something".

"There is no convenient way to refer to this non-standard format of film transfer. However the process we applied can be described thus:

35mm film has a native aspect ratio of 1.33:1.

This particular 35mm negative had been shot by several different animators using various size gates, therefore the framing is inconsistent.

In order to respect the full film frame and place it within the wide screen video format of 16:9, the telecine was set-up to create an anamorphic transfer which results in a side curtained 1.33 image within a 1.78 ratio.

Due to the inconsistent framing within the negative the image size changes from shot to shot.

The resulting master preserves the entire field of potential viewable negative."

Dave.

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Is Spielberg directing this now? I thought Michael Bay had been named as the director?

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I think because Dreamworks are involved he is producing at some higher level in the production.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Oh man, this is going to be great! :thumbsup: :clap: :hiya: :)

7. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Sweeeet! Looks like I'll be replacing my old R1 Transformers DVD as well :)

8. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    STEVEN SPIELBERG+TRANSFORMERS= oh my effing god

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
  10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    dave tell me your having us on - Speilberg and Transformers? :eek:

we are talking about the "robots in disguise" transformers aren't we?

THE WORLDS GONE BARMY!!!

Gary

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Right,

Dream works and paramount are cofunding.
    Spielberg is acting as executive producer.
    Michael bay is directing.

John Rogers (Screenwriter); Don Murphy, Tom DeSanto (Producers);

Dave.

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I just hope they get the story and script right and it does not turn in to a blooming u certificate 4 yera old friendly pile of rubbish :eek:

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    mr bay likes his car chases :D

Gary

14. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Just imagine the car chase from The Rock but with the Ferrari changing into a robot half way through and running down the hills of San Fransisco :D :D

15. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    Now that's what I'm talking about. :clap:

Ive seen this day coming for years.

That stupid dancing car advert finally confirmed that they can do it and now they are.

You took yer time you silly :censored: :censored:

Anyway, great news :)

tris

16. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Consider it imagined and now wondering HOW said movie could ever be green lit.

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    That’s my only concern. I really hope this will be a ‘dark’ movie version.

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    maybe it will be like the Citron ad :D

Gary

19. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    At the moment its just the marketing machine running wilde!

I guess it is something to look forward to, but arent we too old to be playing with transformers? :rotfl:

(I still have all my old 1st gen ones!)

20. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well I loved the animated movie and the tv series. The movie came under a lot of flack because of its violent content.
    What needs to be done is get the balance right and have most of the action and violence betwen the machines. This way they can get away with the fantasy violence tag and have a low certificate but still be kick ass :D

21. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Maybe the Citreon ad inspired Dreamworks to do the movie! :D

22. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I am still of the opinion that the citreon add was also a test to see how it could be done. The idear of a live action movie has been on the cards for a while now you know..........

the story so far :D

Development Heck
    Transformers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dateline: Wednesday, July 13, 2005

By: DEVELOPMENT HECK
    By:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genre:

Science Fiction/Action.

Studio:

DreamWorks (Domestic)/Paramount Pictures (Intenational).

Production Company:

Unknown.

Project Phase:

Pre-script Stage.

Who's In It:

Unknown.

Who's Making It:

John Rogers (Screenwriter); Don Murphy, Tom DeSanto (Producers); Steven Spielberg (Executive Producer); based upon the toy line created by Hasbro.

Premise:

Unknown.

Release Date:

Thanksgiving 2006.

Comments:

None.

Rumors:

Rumors that a live-action Transformers movie was secretly in development have been gossiped about on movie web sites for years. In actuality, all of the past rumors turned out to be false.

Scoop Feedback:

June 11, 2003... THE TRANSFORMERS have been many things: a toy line, cartoon series, comics, even a theatrical movie. But now Hasbro's robots in disguise are preparing for their greatest role yet...as a live-action movie.

Don Murphy (THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN) and Tom DeSanto (X-MEN) are the two gentlemen who have the plan and will be the film's producers. DeSanto is also in the midst of creating a story treatment for the movie, which will serve as the template for the screenplay.

It's not the first time a live-action TRANSFORMERS movie has been attempted. Three years ago director Joseph Kahn (TORQUE) and producer Chris Lee (S.W.A.T.) attempted to assemble a TRANSFORMERS movie for SuperMegaMedia, a production company, but things never got further than the initial planning stages.

Murphy and DeSanto's TRANSFORMERS idea will be shopped around to studios shortly. It's expected that a screenwriter will be hired shortly after that. [The Hollywood Reporter.]

July 19, 2004... According to one of the producers of the proposed live-action TRANSFORMERS movie, the stage is set for a new announcement to take place. At the official website for producer Don Murphy, you can click on the image of Optimus Prime and a window will open stating that a "major announcement" will take place at this year's San Diego Comic Convention. Comic-Con kicks off this coming Thursday and runs until Sunday, July 25.

Since we already know that Murphy and X-MEN executive producer Tom DeSanto are onboard and have been developing it for the past year, the announcement will likely be for where the TRANSFORMERS movie has been set up at. Rumors have swirled that DreamWorks and Sony Pictures have been vying for the property but so far no hard facts have crystalized -- yet. We may even find out that there is a director and a writer now attached to the nascent movie project.

[Scoop submitted anonymously.]

July 23, 2004... While TRANSFORMERS producer Don Murphy said on his website that there would be a major announcement concerning his project at the San Diego Comic Convention, it turns out that the trades beat him to the punch. Both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter are running stories that Murphy and Tom DeSanto's live-action TRANSFORMERS film has found a shared home; both DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures will share in the development of the movie, with a summer 2006 release date eyed. The former movie studio will handle domestic distribution while the latter will take care of international markets.

DreamWorks co-founder Steven Spielberg will come on to serve as an executive producer on the project. Hasbro, the manufacturers of the toy line that serves as inspiration for the film, will remain an active participant in the development of the movie's storyline, production, marketing and related merchandising.

As yet no writer, director or acting talent have signed on. [The Hollywood Reporter, Variety.]

November 3, 2004... CATWOMAN scribe John Rogers will begin to see very large robots haunting his dreams. The writer has been selected to write the screenplay for the live-action TRANSFORMERS movie that's currently in development with DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures and that's based on the toy line by Hasbro. The film's story was first developed by X-MEN executive producer Tom DeSanto; now Rogers will sit down at the word processor and work things out into a feature length script.

Rogers executive produced and wrote the pilot for a GLOBAL FREQUENCY television series, based on the Warren Ellis comic book of the same name. The show was filmed for The WB Network but no official word has been heard whether it's been picked up for series. His other credits include THE CORE, AMERICAN OUTLAWS and he's also working on RUSH HOUR 3 and a movie adaptation of the FATAL FRAME video game for DreamWorks. [Variety.]

March 15, 2005... DreamWorks & Paramount have hired Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci to write the live-action adaptation of "The Transformers." The script will be based on a story by Tom DeSanto.

Steven Spielberg will be executive producing the film which centers on two groups of robots, one led by Optimus Prime, who believes in tolerance and the sanctity of life, and the other by Megatron, who espouses survival of the fittest and the extermination of biological life.[Variety.]

May 29, 2005... From Don Murphy's message board: "Michael Bay is signed at this point for the film- BUT- he has to finish THE ISLAND and it’s not finished yet- before he can focus on TF. His Line Producer a great guy named Ian Bryce is dealing with department heads and other details. We were hoping to have a script last week but we don’t. But we will soon. Voice actors and Arcee and other things will be addressed at the right time. Welcome to the hell that is Producing- things move VERY slowly in my world. And yes, it is frustrating to me."

DonMurphy.net.]

July 13, 2005... IGN FilmForce reported that screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci stated, "Right now, we're thinking there will be five Autobots and five Decepticons. But you know the ones everybody knows like Optimus Prime and Megatron and Starscream and Soundwave and Bumblebee. R.C. is gonna be in it. The writers told FilmForce are close to finishing a draft of the script for TRANSFORMERS. They are focusing mainly on the storyline and what the story

[IGN FilmForce.]

Dave.

23. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    just seen this over at aint it cool news .com.

As you *may* have heard, there's been a war going on...not between the Autobots or Decepticons, but amongst the, er, Productocons.

BEHIND THE CURTAIN (or under the tarp)

Just over a week ago, Hasbro, Paramount, and Dreamworks announced that TRANSFORMERS would roll into theaters on July 4, 2007, and rolled an 18 wheeler, um, cleverly covered in blue fabric onto the exhibit floor of the San Diego Comic-Con. I guess the truck plates were cool because a couple of them were stolen (lucklily, they brought plently along). THE MAN, Steven Spielberg, even recorded a video and therein came out of the closet concerning his man love for the popular line of boy's toys.

And the honeymoon ended there.

A mere week or so later, producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura gave an interview to iesb.net(RIGHT HERE), and withoutout knowing it, kicked up a starscream of controversy. In the interview, di Bonaventura somewhat poo-pooed the notion of having the original voice over actors reprising their original cartoon series roles in the new feature.

This was apparantly some bad megamojo because Angry Film's Don Murphy (listed as a co-executive producer of the film in the official press release issued by Hasbro) linked and responded to the interview...in his own unique way.

On his official messageboard at donmurphy.net, Mr. Murphy referred to Mr. di Bonaventura as the "producer Paramount brought on," and stirred the pot for his "stooges." Murphy obviously disagreed with the "brought on" producer's take on the original voice actors and also disagreed with the notion that there are two (or more?) differing Transformers scripts.

No big deal, just two players battling for dominance on the picshat!).

Unfortunately for the manufacturer, the studios, the fans, the producers, and half of the directors in Hollywood, the story didn't end there. (And for those who want a look into the smoky back room...hell, it's a lot of fun!)

So uncensored and...discouraging(?) were the comments of the board's administrator, Don Murphy, that the thread was shunted from the board's TRANSFORMERS section to the APT PUPIL comment area (I guess no one goes there) after Cinescape.com drew attention to the thread and, according to Murphy, took the producer's comments out of context. Cinescape withdrew the notice, and Murphy...he vowed to discontinue posting on his own messageboard. That's a BIG what th--!!!

As I write this (but watch it disappear as his comments on other messageboards have been abducted by aliens for study and/or entertainment), the thread is still available for viewing online at: THIS SITE. The man's comments began with a lament on the opening weekend take of THE ISLAND and wondersthat the weak opening will negatively affect the Transformers adaptation.

Now, I have an unnamed White House, eh, no, studio source who says Michael Bay will indeed pull out of this picture, so it seems that Murphy's fears are based on more than his gut feeling. In fact, he asks his online stooges who they'd like to see replace Bay should he leave the project. Several names are quickly put forward, but Murphy immediately puts the kibbosh on Paul Verhoeven, the director who "stunk up" STARSHIP TROOPERS, an "awesome" film for "retards."

As for other suggested directors, Murphy responds:

Cameron- has his next two films
    Singer- busy with Superman till June
    Ridley- has his next film
    Tony- has his next film
    Harlin- eat :oops: out of my :oops: and die.... :nono:

And the once-rumoured Zemeckis? He said "NO" already, so that is that according to "the Don."

Dante? The poor chap would be unlikely to be given the chance to "direct traffic."

When a poster frets that another director won't be found if Bay withdraws from the production, Murphy confirms that that is his "worry precisely."

Whatsa' the big deal here? Why would Murphy, well known as one of the most fearlessly outspoken bulls in the H'w'd china shop, be concerned/worried/disturbed(?) to the point of dropping out of his own scene (one well populated with worshippers no less)? Well, yes, he rips on other films, directors, producers, and even studios; and yes, he debunks di Bonaventura's notion that there are two scripts by claiming that there isn't a script in the first place (the current scriptwriters are too busy writing "Mission WhoCares3").

Dammit! The man sounds like a one man AICN thread!

I'll let everyone else play Harry Seldon, Sherlock Holmes, and Mr. Spock and jump to their own conclusions as to why Murphy felt he needed to uncharacteristically button up. (And no, it wasn't because he was wronged >snif!< by some deviant member of the fanboy press for the last damn time...just a hint).

Is this more entertaining than the movie could possibly bay--be? To some, but if you really give two :oops: about this property, maybe now is the time to let the "suits" know. The thing does seem to be in chaos, so what better time to add your two cents...ya' stooges.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

24. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well,
    Here is an update for you.

Aparently the movie is 6 months in to story boarding and script rewrites. Michael Bay is still attached to direct and they are currnetly working on the third act.

Here is some test footage that has made it online (although ILM are denying that it is the reall deal.)

http://kungfurodeo.com/movies/tformers_ILM_test.mpeg

25. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Test footage looks pretty decent! could easily be the real deal.

But Michael Bay......? Seriously......? :suicide: :nono:

Rob

26. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Who would you choose to do it then Rob?:)

27. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Ooh! Hard question!

Umm, well i'd like to see some decent character development as well as awesome action.

Umm, how about Bryan Singer after he's done with Superman Returns or Chris Nolan as he did a great job with Batman Begins.... Just not Michael Bay please. :)

Or if Spielberg like its so much why doesnt he do it himself?

Rob

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Well the Transformers movie deserves to be a spectacle and Michael Bay has the credentials to do that. As long as it has half a brain I'll be happy. :)

29. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Agreed he certainly has the ability to make it a spectacle, but not sure about the brain..... :)

Lets hope its more 'The Rock' than 'Pearl Harbour' if he does direct that is, still would prefer someone else though.

Rob

30. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105

I think I posted this before, but just imagine the car chase from The Rock but with the Hummer and Ferrari changing into Autobots half way through....I think Michael Bay may do a good job with this as the source material is perfect for the kind of 'big budget, high spectacle, switch your brain off at the door' he does best:D