transferring video to laptop

kev s

Standard Member
hi i have a bit of a problem when trying to transfer some old videos to my pc, im using a capture device with red and white audio and yellow video connection leads connected to a usb and video capture software

now if i connect my laptop directly to my dvd player everything works fine and i can see the dvd playing on my laptop

if i connect my vcr directly to my laptop i get a black screen

and if i connect my sony lcd tv directly to the laptop i also get a black screen

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

cheers kev

A n d r e w

Do your VCR and your TV have analogue composite outputs? Most VCRs (I assume you mean a VHS player) have an RF output which goes directly into a television's RF antenna input, whereas DVD players have composite outputs (using the coloured cables). It's quite possible that neither your VCR nor your TV outputs a composite signal of the kind required by your conversion equipment. If they do have the required outputs, there may be a menu setting required to activate them.

kev s

Standard Member
hi the tv and video player both have the same connections as the dvd player for the leads to connect to, ill have a look at the video players menu to see if it needs activating

cheers kev

kev s

Standard Member
right i cant see anything in the video players menu to activate it

heres some pics of the video and tv connections and the lead im using to connect the video to my laptop

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

DSC01485.jpg

A n d r e w

The RCA jacks in the photos of your VCR and TV are inputs, not outputs. That explains why you're not getting any juice out of them.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom