1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring untagged/various music with SonicStage to HD5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by SveinT, Jul 31, 2005.

1. SveinT

SveinT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently bought a HD5 and I have some music on my harddrive I want to transfer. I have a lot of jazz tracks in a folder called jazz on my harddrive, but not all have tags. Also, I'd end up having 30 different artists and 50 different albums each with one or two songs in each. Is there a way to make it all go into Artist: "Various Jazz" and Album: "Various Jazz" with the filename shown as title? I remember this being very easy on my Creative DAP player, but I can't figure out an easy way to do it with the HD5. I could of course tag all songs with album and artist set to "Various Jazz", but I wouldn't get title correct. Many would end up blank due to missing tags.

If there's no good solution to this I wonder how some people manage...you'd end up with hundreds of artists after a short while with only one or two songs each if you have some CD compilations...

Please tell me a solution if you know one...

TIA

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you've figured it out yourself. Retag all the songs in your jazz folder simultaneously by highlighting all the tracks right clicking on any one of them then going to properties, then summary tag then click advanced if it isn't already, then just type the artist and album in the appropriate slots and it will change all of them at the same time...dont change anything that is different on each such as title because it will make them all the same name...you will have to add the title names yourself, unfortunately.

3. SveinT

SveinT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there no other way of doing this? Adding titles manually is sort of out of the question as we're talking about a lot of songs here...

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the names of the songs are in the actual file name? Thats a problem. I doubt there is any other way. ....well youl have to put up with it till you have time to rename them....do a couple at a time shouldnt take too long....dont use sonicstage though use something quick like winamp. You'l be done before you know it.

5. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are programs that can take the name of the file and create the id3 title tag from that. And they can do it with multiple tags at once. I honestly don't know the name of them off hand but google it. Its a pretty common feature in tagging freeware that I have used.
    hh

6. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Tag & Rename is fantastic for this and more...it's saved me loads of time.

Check it out here.

It is shareware but I think that it will give you a free thirty day trial.

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There you go, but how does it distinguish between the album, title and artist? or do you tell it how the file has been named? Hopefully they are all in the same naming format.

8. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This is far simpler than you may think. I have done a similar thing with a number of my mp3s. I have a folder called "Various Singles" with about 100 tracks.

I have named each mp3 as follows within this folder...

<Artist Name> - <Track Name>.mp3

I then used tag & rename to sort the tags with the relevant artist and track name and entered "Various Singles" in the album field of the tag which has effectively given me a 100 track album.

Job Done :smashin:

9. SveinT

SveinT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already use Tag&Rename, but the file's names aren't consitent in what naming format they are in. Is there any way to make it read the whole filename and put that as title?

You guys might find this easy to use, but compared to Creative's software it's just a uneccessary hassle...I know it works fine for people who rip their own cds (as I do too), but why not have it both ways?

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try eMusic Tag Editor from Abyss Audio - does what your asking for I think. Oh, for for quick batch file renaming, try 123filerenamer (or something). Google both.