transferring .ts files to a usb tv

bluebird999

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Ross FTA satellite receiver which records programs as .ts files and I can export them via a usb stick and I thought I would try and play them on my upstairs Technika usb tv. But it refuses to recognise them. The technika also records .ts files and places them in a pvr folder but even when I import the files into the folder it does not see them. Same situation when I put them in the Technica media browser folder.
Anyone else encountered this problem and ways to get around it?

It's normal for recordings made from any satellite receiver to be playable only through that receiver.

It's normal for recordings made from any satellite receiver to be playable only through that receiver.

Why :confused:. Presuming they record the broadcast stream as is (all pvrs do this, except when they encrypt when transferring to a hdd), they ought to be playable on anything.

You may need to change the container used, though most use the standard transport stream format.

According to your normal posts generic fta boxes have no rubbish like locking recordings to the recording box, as does Freesat :confused:

Even Freesat boxes SD recordings on kit that can transfer them play on anything.

SD recordings will be 576i mpeg2 compressed and 1080i HD AVC/H264 (a variant of mpeg4) at heart whatever container it's wrapped inside.

Last edited:
Does the Technika write any other files with the TS when recording?

I agree that they ought to be able to play on anything but my experience is that they don't.
Have I really normally posted to the contrary?:confused:

I agree that they ought to be able to play on anything but my experience is that they don't.
Have I really normally posted to the contrary?:confused:

You might not have actually said so but the big advantage over Freesat/Sky boxes is the capability to record HD without encryption. You frequently observe that your generic boxes don't have this problem. Admitting that the recordings only play on the box type that recorded makes this a non advantage. Even a Foxsat-hdr in generic mode can record HD that can be played back on anything, burnt to AVCHD DVD or blu-ray blanks. It shouldn't be very hard to convert recordings, sometimes it's as simple as just changing the file extention to one that the device playing back the recordings expect.

I have a Ross FTA satellite receiver which records programs as .ts files and I can export them via a usb stick and I thought I would try and play them on my upstairs Technika usb tv. But it refuses to recognise them. The technika also records .ts files and places them in a pvr folder but even when I import the files into the folder it does not see them. Same situation when I put them in the Technica media browser folder.
Anyone else encountered this problem and ways to get around it?

Can you download this application

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Switch it to tree mode and use it analyse your .ts files. Post the text. Next dig out the manual for the TV and post any info as to what file types it supports.

Thanks your replies.
Yes the Technika does write other files into the pvr folder so I assume this is the reason it won't play stuff imported into it's recordings libary. Looking at the manual too it says something about deleting imported files.
So it seems a dead end that way.

I will have a look at the media analyser when I get a chance to analyse the .ts files. But just looking at properties of the .ts file it says mpeg-2 ts video - so it might be worth playing around with changing the file prefix. The Technika manual says it supports mpeg/jpg/mp3/mp4 files and I can play these from a usb stick just fine.

the big advantage over Freesat/Sky boxes is the capability to record HD without encryption. You frequently observe that your generic boxes don't have this problem.
Yes, it's the reason that I went for them in the first place, and they do the job extremely well.
I haven't actually tried swapping the drives between them so I may have got wrong information about that.

Thanks your replies.
Yes the Technika does write other files into the pvr folder so I assume this is the reason it won't play stuff imported into it's recordings libary. Looking at the manual too it says something about deleting imported files.
So it seems a dead end that way.

I will have a look at the media analyser when I get a chance to analyse the .ts files. But just looking at properties of the .ts file it says mpeg-2 ts video - so it might be worth playing around with changing the file prefix. The Technika manual says it supports mpeg/jpg/mp3/mp4 files and I can play these from a usb stick just fine.

Try this out, most likely you need to just convert the transport stream file to a programme stream file. (.mpg)

Try

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/TsRemux

or

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Encoders-Converter-DIVX-Related/PVAStrumento.shtml

Thanks, I know I can convert to another format but it takes so much time. But I just renamed the file .mpeg and opened it up with Real Player on my computer and it played just fine - so will rename it on the stick and have another go on my tv.

I find recording on a usb stick a very cheap way of recording. My Ross only cost 30 quid and it would be nice to play recording upstairs if I can.

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom