• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

transferring to mpeg or avi

G

gixxerk31000

ok now that i have sorted the record for my bullet cam, i would like to ask which software i should use to transfer the movie from my camcorder from it's original format to mpeg or avi.
i would like to host some video footage on the web.
thanks.

laser

It depends upon your budget and the complexity to which you want to edit and add transitions (if any).

If you simply want to edit your footage and then host it on the web after reducing the quality of the original AVI file, then entry level software will probably work best for you.

Try downloading some trial versions to see what you like best:

Pinnacle Studio 10 (needs a fast PC and must be run with latest patch v10.5.0)
Ulead Studio 9/10
Windows Movie Maker (which is free)

Moving up to the next level of software try:

Sony Vegas

However I would really strongly suggest you download the trial versions before spending any money as some people have terrible problems running certain editing software packages !!

If you think you may get more adventerous and want to create DVD's then Sony Vegas maybe the way to go but it is more expensive than Pinnacle and Ulead software. Windows movie maker will not let you create DVD's unlike Pinnacle, Ulead and Vegas.

senu

Distinguished Member
Look here These guys were giving Seminars on the Sony software at a recent video forum or this review here

Sony Vegas Studio ( with or without: Platinum +DVD ) is the same cost or only marginally more expensive than Pinnacle Studio.

If you like the Sound of Sony Vegas 6 it is just a little less capable but not in anyway which may matter to you if youre' just starting out.

It is certainly a stable software unlike some others. As suggested above it is available as Try b4 u buy as a 30 day trial download
Good Luck:thumbsup:

BananaTiger

Which is a better format to use for editing and then producing a DVD? AVI format or MPEG2?

Starting to use Sony Vegas and quite liking it. Going to download a trial of Premiere too so see how that goes.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
If the source is DV then best to capture the DV (AVI), edit that, and render to MPEG2 at the end for DVD. DV is easier/better to edit, as all the information needed is in a single frame. You’ll also get the best quality this way.

You can edit MPEG as well, and if your source is MPEG (e.g. DVD camcorder) this is the way to go.

Mark

senu

Distinguished Member
BananaTiger said:
Which is a better format to use for editing and then producing a DVD? AVI format or MPEG2?

Starting to use Sony Vegas and quite liking it. Going to download a trial of Premiere too so see how that goes.

DV avi is best if that is your starting material but look at this thread

G

gixxerk31000

well i am a complete novice so would like an easy to use software. i gather that my canon 850i is in dv avi right ?

so saying that the software i have is ulead studio 9 and studio version 9. both of which my dad gave me and not tried as yet.
which would be easier to use please.

senu

Distinguished Member
gixxerk31000 said:
well i am a complete novice
i gather that my canon 850i is in dv avi right ?

If by that you mean does it output Dv Avi ?,Yes it certainly does . The i also means than you can record back to it ( on tape) after editing on a computer via the I-link aka firewire, or IEEE 1394 (same thing ,different names), This feature is called DV in (ie the camcorders firewire port is bidirectional since they all do dv out anyway))

so saying that the software i have is ulead studio 9 and studio version 9. both of which my dad gave me and not tried as yet.
which would be easier to use please.

Simple answer: They are equally easy to use but do re-read some of the posts above for a bit more regarding software

Longer answer
Your camcorder is a mini DV all such camcorders will normallly output their video data as DV AVI
When you transfer its video data to the PC via firewire, Unless your capture settings have been altered in software You will end up with a video file with an AVI extension eg dads holiday.avi.
This avi is a DV avi and will eat up 13 g of space on your Hard drive for 1 hrs worth of tape.
I stress DV avi bit because the video files downloaded from internet ( Divx/ Xvid) are mpeg4 files which also end in avi and are nothing like the DV avi from your camcorder

The mpegs referred to in precceding posts are video files which are smaller than avi and of quite good quality which often end up in Video cds ( mpeg1) and DVDs( mpeg2).
They too can be edited but with a little less ease and possible drop in PQ given that youre starting off with a little less quality compared to dv avi anyway.
The reason DV AVIs are not in a DVD is that they are far to big to fit and in truth the quality of a well encoded mpeg (DVD quality ) is quite impressive considering you go down to 4.7g from 13g
Ulead Video studio 9 is relatively easy to use . Pinnacle Studio 9 even easier. Pinnacle Studio will need to be updated with a patch to 9.4 to address some stability issues.
Look at other suggestions as posted above ( Sony Vegas Studio) . Relatively easy to use stable and capable
All the sofware will need you to read an easy to digest book : Easier than diving in and getting stuck early!.
Ulead has downloadable video tutorials here

Hope this is more helpful than confusing!!:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom