• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Transferring Steam Games to new pc

cullyl4d

Standard Member
Hi all,
i have just bought a new pc and was wondering about transferring steam games. I have roughly 25GB worth of games downloaded from steam but my download speed is only 2mb/s (and I can't get any faster:thumbsdow). Therefore I was wondering if there was a way of transferring the game data from one pc to another using an external hard drive and using the same account; or is the only way to re download them all and suffer a hefty electricity bill at the end of the month?:lease:
Thanks,
Daniel

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Just copy the Steam folder over, don't use the backup option. When it has all been moved to the new computer launch the Steam executable (steam.exe) and it will sort itself out to work.

To move saves over, use http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Yaka

Established Member
Sniper Ash6 said:
Just copy the Steam folder over, don't use the backup option. When it has all been moved to the new computer launch the Steam executable (steam.exe) and it will sort itself out to work.

To move saves over, use http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

That nice and simple alot of peeps grumble about steam but when upgrading to a larger hdd your saved from a load of trouble

BOUMSONG

Established Member
I did it the other day and it was easy.

All you have to do is copy the steam apps folder + steam.exe file across. Make a new folder 'Steam'. If opening steam.exe doesn't do anything, redownload steam and install it to the pre-existing Steam folder. You'll need to get a verification number emailed to you as it's a new pc.

Then verify the game cache integrity on the games you want to play (right click and there should be an option somewhere).

Some Steam games are cloud based, others are local. The local saves are all in steam apps so you don't have to bother with any game saving managers or the like.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom