Transferring Sonic Stage library

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by maverick_123, Jan 14, 2008.

1. maverick_123

maverick_123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, iv just had a new computer. On my old computer i had sonicstage installed with 30gb of music in my library to transfer between my computer and my Sony NW HD5. I took the hard drive out of my old computer and installed it in the new one as an extra hard drive, i then downloaded SS4.3 installed it on the new computer and on setup got it to scan the old hard drive to pick up my tunes. It seemed to do this as all 30gb was being displayed in my new ss4.3. However when i come to play tunes on the computer or transfer files onto my HD5 i get the message "cannot play this track because its licensing information cannot be retrieved. For more information, contact the source from which you recieved this track". So although i appear to have 30gb of tunes they are useless as they cant be played. Please can anyone give me some options for getting them to play again? Also i thought about dragging them off my HD5 back onto the computer but when i connect with usb it doesn't recognise the unit, i may have to update the firmware but this too wipes the tracks leaving me with no tunes at all! Sorry for the long winded post but any help would be appreciated.

2. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    This might work and if I'm talking nonsense, someone is bound to be able to correct me. What I do know is that copying files from the HD5 to the hard drive won't work.

If you've still got the original version of SS installed on your old hard drive, use the backup facility within the original software to perform a full backup of all 30gb. Be warned, this will probably take a while.

Then use the backup/restore facility within SS4.3 to perform a restore of the music. You might find it easiest to do this after cleaning out anything lingering in the Library from other attempted restores, etc.

Good luck - you'll probably need a few hours in total to to this.

3. maverick_123

maverick_123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me, iv tried to do what you said about making a backup but not sure what sub folder in the sony folder the music is in, its not obvious as there are no 30gb folders. Also do you think i need to put the old hard drive into the old computer and back it up this way? Iv managed to get my computer to recognise the HD5 now via usb, i know that there is software to get tunes off an ipod onto a pc is there no such thing for the sony nw hd5?

4. KJ Palmer

KJ Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    You should probably try to put back the hard drive in the old computer and do the back up from there to some external media - preferably a removable hard drive. I'm pretty sure the tracks are registered to the original computer, and the tracks aren't directly transferable. You'll need to connect to the internet to validate the library, but once done you should should be able to restore your library to any PC with a Sonicstage installation. Hopefully the data won't have been lost of damaged when you removed the drive.

You could also use the file conversion tool in Sonicstage to write the files as .oma files which can (in theory) be imported directly to your new installation - just be sure to uncheck the copy protection box. Hope that helps - good luck!

5. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What the other posters have said is correct. You have to back up and restore the SonicStage data using the Sony software.

You can't just transfer the 30GB as normal files from one hard disk to another, and no you can't transfer it from the HD5 back to the PC either. Fortunately, you seem to still have your old computer on hand, because you'll need it.

Here's what you have to do:

1. Put the hard disk back in the old computer.
    2. Run SonicStage Backup Tool on the old computer and back up your data to a new folder (e.g. "C:\SonicStage Backup").
    3. Put the hard disk in the new computer.
    4. Run SS4.3 and remove everything from your library. It will ask you whether you want to delete it from your computer as well. Answer no.
    5. Run SonicStage Backup Tool on the new computer and restore the data from the same location that you backed up to in Step 2.
    That's it! Hopefully it should be working now.

At this stage, you'll have 90GB of music data in your computer:

• The data used by SonicStage on your old PC. This is on your old hard disk and you can delete these files once everything is working on the new PC. (If you can find them... I can't remember where they are off the top of my head, somewhere under Application Data, I think.)
    • The backup copy you made above. You should keep this, at least until you make another backup.
    • The data used by SonicStage on your new PC, which is the data you just restored using the backup tool.
    The only other advice I would give is to make backups regularly using the backup tool. It's the only way to keep your 30GB library safe! :lesson:

Andrew

6. maverick_123

maverick_123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks for all the advice, prior to the last post i attempted a backup this is what i did. Went into the old hard drive (E:) whilst in my new computer went into sony folder and then sonicstage then scrolled down to backup tool. Ran that it searched internet to verify copyright stuff on my library and said it had been confirmed so i went ahead and saved a backup to new harddrive (C:). I then ran the restore program on sonicstage 4.3 in C:. It loaded my tunes up but again said could not play due to unable to verify copyright stuff. So i guess i will have to put the old harddrive back into the old computer but will i have any luck this way or same problem cos even tho they said copyright info confirmed i had the same problem.

7. chrispy duck

chrispy duck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, this dosen't have anything to do with maverick_123 question, but I am having problems with my sonic stage too. I have read many times that the music is 'locked' to a particular computer when transfering music over to sonic stage.

This is fustrating as I have a new laptop and my old comp, has now gone (I deleted the music off that as I went any how, which means I wouldn't of been able to transfer them back). I have around 14gb of music which I really want backing up in case something happens with my mp3 (NW-HD1). I have software to convert them into MP3 format, but this is useless when I can't get the music on my laptop!

Any ideas would be grateful. Ta

8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am resurecting this thread:

My Problem, I cannot access my old PC to run the back up tool, but I have all my music on the 2nd drive in that corrupted Pc, although I believe that drive does not have the Sonicstage program just the sonicstage library ie just all my ripped music in the Soncstage 'packages' folder, would I be able to install that hardrive in my 'new' vista Pc, so the directory with all my music is the same as the newly installed Sonicstage library in the new Pc, wipe my HD5 drive so it is installed and works with the new Pc and then transfer my original library back over to the newly installed HD5, so not using the backup tool but making the Sonicstage library my old hardrive ?

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Success!!:clap:

Simple, I installed my old hard drive as an external drive, and just imported the songs across - took a while though, I also copied the .Omg files to my new C drive, the only problem is I have to now execute the file for each individual song, although I managed to burn a Cdr with the external drive still connected, i guess when I reformat my HD5 i will just have to have the external harddrive connected, any other suggestions??

Anyway I can get my playlists back, because re-doing them will take about a week:(