Transferring Sky+ recordings to DVD Recorder via Scart

The Sorcerer

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually transfer recordings from my Sky+ box to my DVD recorder via Scart and by setting the Sky box to "Play" with the DVD recorder set to "Record", so it is all real-time and it works well.

Circumstances have arisen which mean that it would be great if I could move both boxes away from their current locations and do this either on the dining room table or in another room (with a 14" portable telly so that I can keep an eye on what's going on). Would this work OK or does the Sky+ box need to be connected to the dish and actively receiving a signal for some reason (viewing card would still be in the slot but no connection to the dish)?

Thanks

Yes, Sky box needs to be connected to dish before you can use Sky+ functionality (including playing back something from the planner). Once the playback starts, you can disconnect the box from the dish, and the programme being played back will continue to play back.

But the box to dish connection must be in place to start with - so that Sky can confirm that you have Sky+ functionality enabled on the card in the box, and so they can confirm that you are a subscriber to the mix which the programme belongs to.

Yes, Sky box needs to be connected to dish before you can use Sky+ functionality (including playing back something from the planner). Once the playback starts, you can disconnect the box from the dish, and the programme being played back will continue to play back.

But the box to dish connection must be in place to start with - so that Sky can confirm that you have Sky+ functionality enabled on the card in the box, and so they can confirm that you are a subscriber to the mix which the programme belongs to.

Thanks for the quick reply Broadz, disappointing as it is :)

Would you ever actually do that?:nono:

Doubt it - but I know you can. It's to allow people to continue watching something from planner should bad weather disturb the signal being picked up by the dish, so whilst they may not be able to watch something live, they can watch something back from the planner as long as the signal was active long enough for the card to be validated in the first place.

Yes, I get all that, but I'm sure you get my point behind it too, that anything being done to the dish connection ought to be done only after fully powering off the receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom