Transferring Save Files

Yuzo

With 360 faults looking quite common, i was looking into ways of backing up my save files,....

there is always the official 64 MB memory card option, which costs around £18.

... can you transfer files onto a USB Memory Stick from your 360? ... this seems the best option as i can get a 2GB one for around £13 ...

DragonOfSilver

Nope, only official memory units supported.. no real reason why either, they're jsut usb memory units the system recognises specially, really.

don't get the 64mb one, wait another week and a half and get the 512MB one from gameplay.com for 30 quid

nheather

Distinguished Member
I bought an XBox 64MB crad a few months ago to backup my games and found out it didn't do what I expected.

(a) I found that I could only 'move' games to the card, not backup. That is they could be on the card or the hard disk but not both. This is fine for transferring game saves between hard disks but I wanted a backup facility - the reason I bought it was when playing PDZ on the last level the game crashed and my Save File was lost, so I had to start from the beginning. Not totally 100% sure of this, perhaps there is a way around it.

(b) Some game saves (such as PDZ) cannot be moved - once they are on your hard disk that is where they will stay.

So a disappointment for me - doesn't allow backups and didn't work with the game that prompted its purchase anyway.

There is an additional PC <> XBox Memory Card interface you can buy - perhaps that will allow you to backup.

Cheers,

Nigel

DragonOfSilver

PDZ can be backed up by changing the storage locatoin in game.

and I've not encountered a save I can only move? either move/copy or do nothing ( viva pinata is anoher one can't touch ), are you thinking of profiles? which can only be moved.

and yes, if games have been saved to memory unit, its possibly to back that up in entirerity to pc using data linker think ( same is possible with the harddrive too, but more expensive and fiddlier ), I trust a memory unit more than harddrive for saves, so I've been saving everything apart from oblivion to one anyway, and will be upgrading mine to 512mb one soon as its out.

Yuzo

thanks for the info,

i have pre-ordered the 512MB one from gameplay and will be saving all my future game saves to this in the future.

as for transferring my current save files,...... i saw the option to "copy to another device" ... does this not work?

davie563

i back-up all my save files onto my 64mb card. My 360 broke and i decided it was time to make sure if it happens again im safe.

All u do is go to copy, and then select the MU unit, it will then make an identical copy of the save onto the memory unit and still leave the HardDisc version intact.

There are a few games thou that dont let u copy ur save, Viva Pinyata beeing 1. Every other game in my list, from splinter cell, Virtua tennis, Call of duty 2+3, Fifa, Champ ect.... all let u make copies of ur saves onto the memory unit :)

D

Deleted member 92943

I have had to ove my profile and game saves onto a emeory card as my 360 is getting replaced including the HDD.

DragonOfSilver

i back-up all my save files onto my 64mb card. My 360 broke and i decided it was time to make sure if it happens again im safe.

All u do is go to copy, and then select the MU unit, it will then make an identical copy of the save onto the memory unit and still leave the HardDisc version intact.

There are a few games thou that dont let u copy ur save, Viva Pinyata beeing 1. Every other game in my list, from splinter cell, Virtua tennis, Call of duty 2+3, Fifa, Champ ect.... all let u make copies of ur saves onto the memory unit :)

Yeah, as he said, majority of games saves will happily copy between devices, its only a few picky ones that don't, mainly the ones from RARE currntly.

aftertaste

Is there any way to back up your profile? I read about someone on this forum who lost his prifile, along with all his achievements. He said he now backs it up...Did he mean his profile? I'm not sure if there's a way to back up your profile...

Anyone know?

DragonOfSilver

As long as hooked upto live, achievements are all backed up on live anyway, a recovery will bring em back. other than that, think its only possible by reading it directly off on a PC, as xbox will only move, not copy, profiles.

roygbiv6

I saw these the other day on Play. Would this do the job? Anyone have one?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/904301/SanDisk_1GB_Cruzer_Crossfire_USB_2_0_Memory_Flash_Drive/Product.html

This in the blurb caught my eye.

The new SanDisk Cruzer Crossfire USB Flash Drive is specially designed to make your console or PC gaming experience portable. You can save your game data, download portable casual games and more with any device equipped with a USB port. Now, use it with your latest Xbox 360 game console. You can store your JPEG images and view it on your TV and play your digital music while plugged into your Xbox 360. With SanDisk, you will be able to take your game data, music, video, and photos wherever you go - and share your music and photos from your PC to Xbox 360.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom