• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Transferring music from iTunes to SonicStage?

T

Tomesh

Can this be done? I've heard that it can. I've just installed iTunes on my computer because I wanted access to the music store, and I've downloaded a track. How do I get this across to SonicStage? I've tried dragging the track into another folder and then trying to import the music file into SonicStage, but the file itself doesn't seem to be in the folder, despite the existence of the relevant pathways.

R

ReBeL!!

No no no, iTunes and SonicStage are two completely different programs developed by two completely different companies. When you purchase music from iTunes, made by Apple Computers, they will always be in a format called AAC, and it will ofcourse be protected. SonicStage, made by Sony in the other hand, cannot read AAC, nor can their players read AAC. When purchasing music from SonicStage, they will always be protected ATRAC files.

So, no, you can't.

(Program - Company - Format)
iTunes - Apple - AAC
Sonic Stage - Sony - ATRAC

thebob-hd3

Standard Member
Same here- i've just downloaded itunes, because of the store and the posdcast.
If i burn it all to disc first, i will be able to put it on sonicstage as usual, yep?

Thanks.

S

shadowritten

thebob-hd3 said:
Same here- i've just downloaded itunes, because of the store and the posdcast.
If i burn it all to disc first, i will be able to put it on sonicstage as usual, yep?

Thanks.

That's correct. While iTunes is able to convert formats like MP3 and WMA into the AAC format which Apple would prefer you to use (you can, of course, use MP3 quite happily on an iPod, though not WMA natively), it cannot convert Sony's ATRAC format. Similarly, SonicStage won't recognise AAC - or WMA, if I'm not mistaken. MP3 is the only 'universal' format that most players and programs recognise and can handle without too much issue.

So yes, burn whatever you want to use with a different program onto a CD first, then re-rip it in the relevant program. Unless it's MP3, of course. Or your program can handle the conversion of one format to another. Which isn't good because one lossy format to another equals quality reduction ... see how unnessarily confusing the world of digitally compressed audio has become? :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom