Question Transferring Laurel & Hardy DVD to Hard drive Via MKV

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by chaz, Jul 29, 2018.

1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi Need some advice please I have the complete collection of L/H DVDs 22 all told and I want to transfer the complete collection to my hard drive using Make MKV. The problem That I am having is if I do the largest file that has 6 chapter titles at 2.3Gb once it has completed the disc it shows me the colour version when I go to my directory ( Which of course I do not want ).On the disc it has as follows A Chump at Oxford black & white the same again but computer colour version, From Soup to Nuts, and Another Fine Mess both Black & white and the colour version . Of coarse I only want copy the Black and white versions can anybody tell me how this can be done on the Make MKV . here is the picture of the menu By the way it will go into my Egreat Media player

Attached Files:

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    See the Title section click on that to expand it, is there any secondary MPEG2 stream in the list, if so that may be the black and white version. If so you may have to deselect the colour version but you wont know which is which until you've ripped it afterwords.

I assume you have already tried ripping all the videos on the disc and opened up each one to see what it is ?

If they are all the colour versions it's also possible the DVD was mastered in an unusual way and MakeMKV cannot read the separate black and white streams from the .vob files on the DVD disc. You may have to resort to other software to extract them if so but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

3. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi Next This is how the original looks when I put the disc in a player as you can see it shows all the films on the disc. But when I go to copy with MKV it does not do that all it copy's is one film " Way out West" and colour when I go down the and chose the 3 chapters then I get what Want I want. Look at picture no N03 i ticked all the boxes and copied but again it it only came out with the colour version

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I'd guess this disc is somewhat unusual in the way the DVD video has been structured, the menu makes it appear simple with 3 titles but behind the curtain so to speak you have dual 6 chapter and 3 chapter video streams.

No matter which you select the black and white version is never ripped ?

First thing is try DVDFab, it's a trial version these days and it may at minimum transfer the VIDEO_TS folder decrypted to your HDD or allow the extraction of the video streams, these days DVDFab is a jack of all trades. See if it can at least grab the black and white versions that may be the easiest path.

By default it converts video but it can work like makemkv in an exact 1:1 copy too but you must change it's selection.

Click "Copy" at the top menu, then it will select "main movie", click the tool icon and change DVD output from DVD 5 to DVD 9. The choose other titles button will scan the disc for other video streams you can select.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  5. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Yes I can rip the black & white ones instead of doing a conpleate 6 chapters on the menu i go down to where it says 3 chapters but have to do it to each black & white film on the disc

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    But isn't that what your after the black and white versions ???

Is what your after is all three black and white titles joined as one long movie ?

7. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Here is how it is once copied It says L & H Vol 1 I then open that and there are the 3 B & White films that I want but I can only do one film at a time and not one film going straight on to the second and 3rd

Attached Files:

8. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    So you want the 3 movies joined as one ?

The easy way to do that is via an editor/joiner or converter.

I use SolveigMM video splitter which can join with no conversion keeping source video intact. They do have a free version but it limited to a few video types.

Run the program, click tools->join manager->show join manager.

Drag and drop your videos in, use the yellow arrows to order them in playback, then click the green button to stitch them together.

9. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Would that play OK on my Media player by the way I dot use ISO files just MKV is that ok as on the egreat it is easier So then Next open the main folder make the films as one but keep The main folder as L & H Vol 1 have I got that right?

10. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Just tried to do it but it will not let me it says only Paid version Thank You for your help anyway Next you always come to my aid. Could I ask you one more Q if you do not mind I own a ASUS1225b laptop would it be a good idea to get a solid hard drive for it to give it a few more years

11. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    In this case ripping as .iso would be easier as it would keep everything intact, it's just a DVD I would assume your egreat player has zero issues playing a .iso image and displaying the DVD menus as if if were played in a DVD disc.

If you don't want to spend money you could try converting the videos into one but I'd have to have a think on what free software supports that.

As to the SSD drive yes an SSD makes a difference to a PC, Samsung 500GB for £109 will do. You will either have to clean install Windows or clone your existing Windows install to the SSD, the clean install will be less work of course.

To clone you can use something free like Macrium reflect but you will need to purchase a USB dock for the SSD drive so you can plug it into the laptop while running reflect to clone the internal HDD to the external USB dock drive. Or you could avoid purchasing a dock if you have a spare USB HDD, you then save the laptop HDD image to USB HDD, create Reflect boot CD/DVD, install SSD in laptop then clone from USB HDD image to internal SSD.

12. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hello Next again I hope you can clear up some Q I wish to ask Q 1) would it be worth me upgrading to SSD for my ASUS1225b laptop it has 4 Gb of ram could I increase that as well

13. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    According to Asus website the laptops memory/RAM is not upgrade-able, it is permanently fixed to the motherboard so you cannot upgrade the RAM.

As to the SSD if the laptop feels slow loading apps or moving data to you then yes it's worth doing but do you use the laptop enough to justify spending the money, if you barely use it don't bother (plug in a USB flash drive and enable Readyboost on it, that will make a small difference).

14. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Thanks Mate will take your d advice Will leave alone and till the until I can sort this out Again I wish to say again Big Thank you. Ps if you are ever down towards Gatwick Airport to fly of to foreign parts Let me know and yo can park round my place we live less that two mins form the Airport. Thanks once again Eric