1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring help, please.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SuperGoku, Sep 6, 2005.

1. SuperGoku

SuperGoku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have recordings on VHS which I wish to transfer to DVD. I have 3 questions please:

1: I'm thinking of buying a Sony SLV Se840 VCR and a DVD recorder to do the transferring. I used to have a Sony SLV SE810 VCR but it broke down. Is the SLv SE840 a better machine, and is this the best way of transferring recordings from VHS to DVD? Or would a DVD recorder/VCR combo be better? I think that quality is sacrificed in the DVD/VCR combos.

2: I need a device (maybe some sort of amplifier?) to increase the volume of my recordings on the VHS as the volume is fairly low, can anyone reccomend a good device for doing this? Perhaps the DVD recorder increases the volume when transferring?

3: I've read about the different DVD formats (DVD+r/-r/+rw/-rw/ram) but which would be the most appropriate for Japanese Animation episodes?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.

2. SuperGoku

SuperGoku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It may seem like a daft question to some of you, but its rather important for me. Any help and advice would be appreciated :lease:

3. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi SuperGoku

I don't know if 840 is better then 810, but, probably, newer is better than older. Combo is easier setup (no cables).

You can use standard Casette Deck with manual sound level adjustment. You should connect it between VCR and DVD Recorder. Cassette deck should be in record mode (paused of course). You can use amplifier's headphones output with Jack to Chinch adapter, but you may have to do some experiments with sound level. You can use also computer, but results are depend of quality of built-in sound card.

Disc type doesn't matter. Quality of recording is independent.

ArtS :hiya:

4. SuperGoku

SuperGoku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot for your help ArtS.

Is it OK if you can give me a link to the 2 things you suggested? I've never heard of them and have little idea on what they are.

I usually prefer buying Sony and even though there'd be less cabling in a DVD/VCR Reecorder combo, the quality may be less. Im thinking of buying a Sony RDGx300 or Sony RDGX210 DVD recorder. Think they're among the best.