Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Transferring from recorder to PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jirob, Jan 3, 2005.

1. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again. I seem to be having quite a bit of trouble transferring content from DVDs I've burned on the DMR-E85 to my PC. I've got a LG GSA4160B DVD multi-drive, but it's just not having it. It won't recognise the disc at all. Previously, I burned to a DVD-RAM and managed to rip that to the PC, but it must have cocked up the data on the RAM disc, because the disc now causes the Panny to reboot.

I'm using Verbatim DVD-Rs and Panasonic DVD-RAMs. I had thought the LG drive would be able to cope with this. Any ideas?

2. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My dvd rom drive (toshiba) in my pc struggles to read anything written by my e65, I have to read the disks in my pc dvd writer. If you havent got a writer pioneer dvd rom drives are very compatible with most disks.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    jirob, I get flawless DVD-RAM read performance in both my LG4120 Super Multi DVD burner and my Toshiba 1612 DVD-ROM - I think the problems you may be having are probably linked with the existance of instant write software as opposed to the actual drives(although in Fallwood's case it does sound like a 'fussy' drive). Do you have InCD running by any chance? If so disable/unistall it.

If that fails to resolve the issue look for the latest DVD-RAM drivers which you can pickup at this site - which is run by a Mr Shin who is associated with LG.

4. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I'm running the latest firmware for my DVD drive, and I'm not consciously running any software that should interfere with the drive. Couldn't find a reference to InCD in the task manager. I'm sure it was easier to recognise running processes before XP came along...

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    You don't have Nero 6 do you? That has caused a few people problems. Did you try the DVD-RAM drivers I linked to?

6. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've got Nero 6. I tried the link you posted, but when I ran the firmware upgrade, it said it was the same version as the one I've got installed. Looks like I'll have to get rid of Nero :rolleyes: and see what happens. Thanks.

7. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Are you using the OS embedded DVD-RAM drivers? I only ask because since your original post I have come across someone who had a programme installed using a custom UDF driver file - he was totally unaware of it which was one of the reasons troubleshooting was so difficult.

Have you tried the DVD-RAM drivers linked to above? They come directly from an LG employee. If still no luck try this software to force to OS UDF and see if you have anymore luck (it doesn't matter you don't have a Pioneer drive!).

9. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have E85. I tried Nero Incd (proposed by the LG support) and Panasonic DVD Movie Album SE drivers (proposed by Panasonic) but the result was the same: the DVD-RAM placed into my LG 4120 became 'write protected' (of course only in E85) and could not format/write/edit in E85.
    In my opinion this is a bug in LG firmware.
    I used the A111 firmware in LG.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Try a different firmware? - there is an A115 out now (might be unofficial). Have a look at the link I posted above and also the CDF LG Forum. Might be worth raising your problems there as well... I am using an 'unofficial' version labelled NOCD as it improved compatibility with DVD+R DL discs and I haven't yet seen the need to update.

11. SteveDangerous

SteveDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean the NOAD firmware? I think this version seems to be OK, as hammy said in this post http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1349990&postcount=13.

The problem is definitely not software, as I had corrupted discs following insertion in my LG4120B immediately after a complete PC rebuild (new system disc, new motherboard, clean XP reinstall), long before ANY software had been installed.

I am happy to accept that for some people there is no problem, but there definitely is a problem for some of us.

Steve

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Yes - apologies for the typo. PM me if you wish me to e-mail it to you.

13. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is infuriating, now.

I've uninstalled Nero, and used their cleaner utility to make sure everything's gone. But when I put a DVD-R (burned on the E85) in the LG drive, it doesn't recognise it. If I left-click on the drive, I get an Incorrect Function message. I changed the properties of the drive to allow CD recording, as some forums had suggested this might help. All it does is stop the Incorrect Function message, but doesn't show there's a disc in the drive.

I've never had EasyCD on this PC, the LG firmware is the latest version, and the drive will read DVD+Rs that I previously burned on an old Sony DVD writer.

Could there be a setting on the Panny that I've missed? Can the disc finalising be switched on/off, and could that make a difference? This is driving me bonkers.

14. GYoung

GYoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi jirob,

Have similar setup with Pana DMR E85 and LG4160B. Bought myself 5 Panasonic DVD Ram discs which are all now useless as far as the Panasonic is concerned - though they work well in the PC. Tried numerous fixes including physical formats to UDF 2.0, all rejected by the Panasonic (I believe the LG may be marking bad sectors on the disc due to some incompatibility with the Panasonic).

I was all set to buy a DVD-Rom to read the Ram discs when a couple of days ago the following seemed to work. The LG4160 came with InCd as the RAM driver and after seeing a few posts on the net suggesting InCD could contibute to this problem I uninstalled it and used a version of the Panasonic DVD ram driver instead (details from site, Google - "panasonic dvd ram device driver"). Using Memorex DVD-Ram discs I've now been able to copy files onto PC and so far the discs are playable in the Panasonic (I have immediately reformatted them in the Panasonic on each occasion to try and make sure they stay that way). I'm not sure if the problem was with InCD, the LG drive or possibly the Panasonic DVDs (I can't afford to waste more discs to find out!), but so far transferring files is possible. It's early days and only tried half a dozen or so transfers but may prove to be a lasting solution (my wife certainly hopes so!). It may be worth a go before you jetison the drive.

Regards

15. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I think you're going to have to spell it out for me, though! Do you mean I should follow the instructions on the first result in the Google search? i.e. the cdfreaks forum?

16. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is a hardware (4160/4120) problem. There is a flag somewhere on the DVD-RAM which means that the disk is write protected. The LG firmware does not set this flag correctly, therefore E85 detects that the disc is write protected, therefore no format/edit/write is possible (it can play these discs).

On the other hand, it is a problem of Panasonic firmware, that it does not check the content of the disc. What does it mean for it: Write protected empty disc? In this case it should be allowed the format.

17. GYoung

GYoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    jirob,

Yes, follow the instructions from the cdfreaks website. This essentially hacks the Panasonic DVD Ram driver installation software so that you can install it without having a Panasonic DVD drive on your PC. It's a bit of a faff, but if you follow the instructions it is reasonably straightforward. This installs a relatively old driver which can then be updated (I used the update at http://www.bhacorp.com/download/index.html). This appears to be a generic driver which works with a wide variety of drives (LG supported drives are listed under HL-DT-ST, the 4160 isn't mentioned, but it seems to work fine with mine). It also installs a format tool and a tool for software locking and unlocking the disc.

If you installed InCD with the drive originally you need to make sure you uninstall it first. I can't be certain the driver was the issue (I'm slightly suspicious of the Panasonic discs I used which have cprm encryption, though I note many people have had problems with other discs).

I presume if the drive can't write to the disc then no change to disc contents can occur, and if my problems recur I'll try temporarily disabling the RAM driver (which I presume will prevent write access, though I may be wrong about this) or go with the option of a cheap read-only DVD Rom which others have found succesful. A lot of hassle to go through - I presume it wasn't the intention of Panasonic for folk to transfer data to PC (at least on RAM discs).

Regards

18. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After your posts I started again to deal with my 4120 problem. I found that the setup was running without any error, but after the restart the driver list of the 4120 was the same as before the setup. I have a long list of drivers but it does not contain the meiudf.sys. I think it is a/the the problem. Would you like to confirm: after installing the DVD-RAM driver, the driver list must contain the meiudf.sys.

19. GYoung

GYoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Kabelnet,

As far as I understand it, the meiudf.sys driver is an operating system driver for enabling udf writing to ram discs. After installing it should be located in :\windows\system32\drivers. It isn't listed in the driver list for the dvd drive. Windows has its own driver (udfs.sys) though this only allows reading, not writing.

Regards

20. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, having installed the Panasonic DVD-RAM driver software, I was able to read DVD-RAMs through the LG GSA4160B. But when I put the disc back in the Panny, it wouldn't have it. So I tried formatting it on the PC using the utility provided with the driver. I stuck it in the Panny and tried recording on it. But 40 minutes later it just keeps crashing and shutting down.

This is now driving me insane. The machine keeps trying to boot up, finds an error and shuts straight down. Then it'll boot up again, show an error on the screen, telling me to press enter, then shuts down. Then the cycle begins again. I can't get the DVD-RAM out of the machine, so it continues crashing and rebooting in an endless cycle. Is there a manual override for opening the disc tray? Should I disconnect it from the mains and try to remove the disc?

One of my earlier suspicions about the DVD-R issue seems to be correct, by the way. I haven't been finalising the DVDs, so if I can ever get back into the bloody E85, I'll finalise a disc and try sticking it in the PC. :mad:

21. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joy of joys. I :rtfm: for a change! Held the off button down for 10 seconds, then held stop and up for 5 seconds. Hey presto, the offending disc is spat out, and everything's hunky dory. Am now finalising a DVD-R, which should solve my PC playback issues. The only thing left is the continuing saga of DVD-RAMs getting mangled when I put them in the LG drive.

At least the E85's operational again, and I should be able to transfer things from recorder to PC using DVD-Rs.

22. GYoung

GYoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To "manually" open the Panasonic drive bay press the stop and CH ^ buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds (turn the unit off first by pressing the standby/on switch).

When I switched to the Panasonic driver I still couldn't transfer using the Panasonic DVD RAM discs I had, even after reformatting them (I think they had all been in the PC at some stage by this time, so I don't know if a "virgin" disc would work or not). It was at this point I went to get a read-only DVD-Rom drive from PC World, but as you might guess they didn't have a decent/cheap one. I did see some Memorex DVD-RAM discs reduced in the sale at Comet and tried these, and they have worked well with no repeat of the problems so far (though still early days). It might be the Panasonic discs that were my problem and if I get the enthusiasm for experimenting I'll try re-installing InCD and removing the Panasonic DVD-RAM driver to see if things still work with the Memorex discs.

I suspect the driver is important in all of this however, as when I tried one of the Panasonic discs reformatted using the Panasonic driver I was able to at least get the E85 to accept the disc (which was not the case when I had been using InCD) even though it reported it as read only and wouldn't record onto it or reformat it.

Hope you find some of this useful, I was pulling what little hair I have left out until finally getting things working.

23. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Jirob,

If you leave E85 to make the 'rebooting loop', it returns to the normal status after an half (~) of hour.

About the LG drive problem see my #16.

24. joegib

joegib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've got a Toshiba 1712 in my main PC and a Toshiba 1612 in my second PC. The newer 1712 happily reads all DVD types but the older 1612 choked on DVD-RAM. I opened up the drive and swabbed the laser lense with a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol. It's worked perfectly with DVD-RAM since then. I suspect DVD-RAM disks are a little more critical of drive condition than other types.

Might be worth your while to run a cleaning disk through the drive. If you're inclined to open up the drive you should note that some cleaning solvents — including isopropyl — tend to leave smears if solvent droplets are allowed to dry on the lense (lighter fluid doesn't leave smears apparently). My technique is to swab it (gently!) with a wet cottonbud (using isopropyl), "dry" it by swabbing with the dry end, then examine the lense with a magnifier for smears and stray cotton threads. I've also done this successfully with a Pacific standalone DVD machine that developed disk reading problems after 6 months.

None of this has anything to do with LG drive problems, of course.

25. Steve999

Steve999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I recently acquired a Pansonic DMR-E65 recorder and a LG 4160B burner.

I was aware of this particular issue contained within these posts and read about it in some detail before proceeding with an attempt at using the 4160B with a DVD-RAM disc from the Panasonic recorder.

I have not installed any packet-writing software and have (not knowingly) ever had any installed on my PC. I followed the conventional wisdom on this forum and installed the Panasonic DVD-RAM drivers before use.

Unfortunately, I have had the same experience as several others, rendering two Panasonic 4.7GB DVD-RAM discs useless on my Panasonic E-85. Rather than experiment at a cost of £2 or £3 a time, I have ordered a seperate DVD-ROM to transfer data from the video recorder to my PC.

However, on reading through the instruction document for the Panasonic DVD-RAM drivers this morning, I found the following entry on p.6 which may hold a clue.

It seems to me that Panasonic are in some way already aware of this issue but they and other manufacturers have not chosen to make it clearly known to users of their retail products (unless I'm mistaken). My own experience indicates that a mere copying from the DVD-RAM disc to the HDD 'changes' the data.

I would welcome the views of others on this, particularly with regard to what the 'special software' may be as that may hold the answer for many.

Thanks,
    Steve

26. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading this thread I ordered an LG GSA4160 burner which is due to arrive today.

I have a Panasonic E55 and was hoping to edit and transfer recordings from -RAM to -R.

Having read the above I'm not overly optimistic it's going to work. I think I'd better order some more -RAM discs... :(

27. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    The special software is referring to VR capable products such as TMPG enc Author. the warning given is just a standard warning that if you corrupt the VR file format then it may not play properly - in the same way as if you removed a VOB file from a DVD-Video.

As for you chaps having problems with LG drives may I suggest a trip to the CD Freaks LG Forum - there is a chap there who is closely associated with LG and will probably be best placed to provide a solution.

28. BluEvicE

BluEvicE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,
    i've got panasonic e85 and LG4163B and transfer works fine, now. When I firstly place DVD-RAM into the computer I used InCD. I could copy .vob to HDD, but disc become unusable in E85. So I install Panasonic DVD-RAM driver + BHA update [ and uninstall InCD] and format 2 "broken" discs [ one quick format, other full format ]. First works fine with Panny again, the other one is definitely unusable in Panny. For transfering I use DVD Movie Album SE, because TDA couldn't copy more than 2 hours movie.
    Hope this help.

29. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drive arrived and I built it into the caddy. I connected it to my laptop, Windows 2000 detected and installed it.

It reads -R disks recorded and finalised on my E55 fine but won't read -RAM disks.

OK... where do I start? (please....)

I didn't get any software with the drive (its the OEM version)

30. Steve999

Steve999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Gents,
    Been there and tried that without success unfortunately. The Panasonic RAM driver and update are the only one's that I have installed. Installation of the 4160B was preceded by a Registry search for potential packet writing rogues.
    Hi Rasczak - That was my logical interpretation of it but the entry is sufficiently ambiguous as to not be definitive enough for me I'm afraid. (Assumption being the mother of all f:censored: up's). It says 'do not access' and refers to the unspecified 'files' being changed and doesn't specify what the 'special' software is so I will not be staking any more of my expensive RAM discs on any assumptions. My DVD-ROM drive will arrive tomorrow at small cost and hopefully little heartache thereafter.

I had previously searched the CD Freaks forums where this problem has also been discussed with only the same recommendations as appear on this site, not to use packet writing software, install Panasonic DVD-RAM drivers etc.

If Panasonic really want consumers to widely embrace DVD-RAM technology in preference to other formats and LG want to continue to market their DVD writers as usable for DVD-RAM, then they need to address this issue. I see a bad reputation developing here for the genre as both manufacturers dominate each side of the DVD-RAM market. There are only a limited number of people who are willing to tinker at a cost of £2 or £3 a shot. Most people, if they realise that such a problem is inherent without simple solution, will look elsewhere and probably already are doing as a result of entries in these forums.

Such a shame really as I love the Panasonic recorder and the 4160B otherwise has good performance so far.

Great forum, by the way.

Steve