1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring from dvd camcorder onto dvd recorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by laura7112, Jul 31, 2005.

1. laura7112

laura7112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, just a quick question - we are quite new to this so please bear with us!

we have recently bought a sony handycam 201e to record our film footage onto mini DVDs. we can transfer the files onto the computer and then onto full sized DVD discs, but are currently looking at purchasing a DVD player/recorder. we are just looking for some general info as we have not had much luck on other websites.

would it be possible, if we bought a dvd recorder/player (such as the Mustek R100LM that we have seen for £133.99 on the net) to hook up our DVD camcorder and transfer the files straight onto a new DVD? this is the plan anyway!! not much point in getting the recorder/player if it will be easier than via the laptop or computer (our computer, bless, is a bit of a dinosaur and is struggling to cope with the most basic of tasks - i think writing a DVD will send it over the edge!!!)

any info would be great, especially anyone who has a recorder/player and has found it reaaaaally easy to do (or hard....)

thanks in advance!!
    laura & chris.

2. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The handycam should have a DV out (possibly in/out) connector. The DVD recorder will most probably have a DV in connector, probably under a little flap on the front. This is where you need a DV cable to connect the handycam to the DVD recorder. Select DV in and press record on the recorder then press play on the handycam. I think most if not all DVD recroders will have a DV in so choosing one shouldn't be difficult. You can do editing also by pausing the recorder when you want to skip scenes you don't want and continuing to record when a new scene you want to keep comes along. For more serious editing I would suggest the pc route for flexibilty.

3. laura7112

laura7112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok great thanks!

if we got a dvd recorder/player with a HDD, would this open up more editting options for us, similar to that of a PC? sorry if this is a stupid question!!! i'm pretty ok on computers but for some reason i just haven't paid any attention to dvd stuff until now!

laura.

4. AdiVio

AdiVio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Laura,

I'm afraid your plan is not going to work as most probably your DVD camcorder doesn't have a DV out connection. This type of camcorders
    is meant for people who don't want to bother with video editing by
    simply getting the result directly on DVD.

I had myself a sony 202e DVD camcorder for couple of days but I had
    to return it after I realized that editing is almost mission impossible.
    I have afterwards ordered a "normal" MiniDV camcorder ...

Adi