Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Transferring footage to PC from Canon MV300

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Glenn P, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Glenn P

Glenn P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any help on the following greatly appreciated.

I have a Canon MV300 camcorder which is 4 years old now and uses miniDV tape. I have built up loads of footage which I want to transfer to my PC for editing, creating CD copies etc. on my Sony Vaio laptop running XP office (to date I have watched the tapes via the camera/TV). Having read these forums I know I need a device to connect the camera to the laptop and some software for downloading. I will also need s/w for editing once on the PC.

Any hints on hardware and software from a reliability/ease of use perspective? Once on the PC I won't be creating any masterpieces so I doubt I will want any functionality rich editing tools.

I currently live in Dubai and the electronic stores here are not very good at providing advice such as this whereas back in the UK I would have more luck with this sort of question!!

Thanks in advance.

Glenn.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    Hi Glen.

By the sounds of it you will need very little hardware and likely little or no software other than what you already have. therefore this should all be very cheap :clap:

Right, first off you need to use firewire to transfer from cam to laptop. The cam already has the firewire output and most laptops have a firewire port as well. If not then a PCMCIA firewire port can be bought (in the UK that is) for around £20. Firewire aka iLink, ieee1394 or DV port!
    You then need a 4pin to 4pin firewire cable. This will be provided (normally!) with a firewire card if you need to buy, otherwise can be picked up for under £10 (again UK prices).

If you are running Windows XP on the laptop then you already have the capture & editing software in a program called Movie Maker. Make sure you have the latest XP updates and this will upgrade MM to MM2 that has a lot more features.
    All you need to do is capture and edit your footage and then save it to the HDD as an AVI file. Assuming you have a CD writer installed you should also have somethijng like Nero to convert the files to MPEG-1 for creating a VCD.

A great web site for teaching you everything you need to know about Movie maker is www.papajohn.org
    Also be aware that captured footage will take up loads of disk space. A 1 hour tape will use approx 14Gb of space :eek: and you will still need more for file conversion etc.
    VCD is poor quality, not much better than VHS so perhaps an external firewire DVD writer is worth looking at to get the best possible results.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mark.

3. Glenn P

Glenn P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Thanks for that, I will let you know what happens!!

Cheers,
    Glenn.