Transferring Everything From Tiger MBP To a Leopard MBP?

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2008 15" 2.2ghz MBP running on Tiger 10.4.11 - I believe it has Firewire 400 & 800 ports. I will soon have a June 2009 17" 2.8 MBP which I believe has one Firewire 800 port and will have Leopard installed as standard. I have backed up my data on an external WD Passport USB Hard Drive with Super-Duper.

I would like to ask, what would be the best way to transfer all my stuff to the new 17" laptop? My concern using the Super-Duper back up on the external hard drive with USB is that it is on Tiger and may not transfer all my data, settings and stuff to the new 17" one which has Leopard or that it may over-write Leopard & install Tiger - is this an issue?

Can I transfer everything as it is (data, apps, settings, etc) except for Tiger by connecting a Firewire Cable between the two laptops and which type or one do I need?

Finally, how will I know or be able to verify that everything been transferred OK and that nothing is missing or has been deleted?

Thank You All!

Suave!

Use Migration Assistant - this can either be done with WiFi, Ethernet or Firewire. When i went from MacBook to Unibody MPB, i went the gigabit ethernet route, only took a few hours to copy everything across - and it does a good job of it too :thumbsup:

Use Migration Assistant - this can either be done with WiFi, Ethernet or Firewire. When i went from MacBook to Unibody MPB, i went the gigabit ethernet route, only took a few hours to copy everything across - and it does a good job of it too :thumbsup:

Hi,

Thanks for that! When you transferred everything over from your MB to UMBP using Migration Assistant, were you on the same OSX or on differing versions like me? Which is faster, Firewire or Ethernet Cable?

Suave!

Hi,
By default when you install a fresh 10.5 it will ask if you want to migrate from another computer/back-up and will copy everything over from a 10.4 install without problems. It works really well.

Last week I transferred everything from my old Mini with Tiger installed to my new Mini with Leopard installed - using a LaCie Firewire 400 to 800 cable - using Migration Assistant. Just start the process and go watch a movie.

BTW, for anyone else buying a Firewire 400 to 800 cable from the AppleStore - ask for the LaCie rather than the Belkin cable and save yourself £10.

Hi,

Thanks for that! When you transferred everything over from your MB to UMBP using Migration Assistant, were you on the same OSX or on differing versions like me? Which is faster, Firewire or Ethernet Cable?

Suave!

I went from Leopard to Leopard. I used an ethernet cable as it was the cheapest option!

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help! Well, I have plenty of ethernet cables so I guess I will just use one of them to hook up between my Tiger MBP and Leopard UMBP unless anyone thinks it might be better to use a Firewire cable - is it much faster?

Suave!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom