Transferring DVD-RAM to DVD-R but no Audio?!?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Johnny Chimpo, May 24, 2005.

1. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new Panasonic DMR-ES30VEBS DVD Recorder / VHS combi and I've made some recordings on DVD-RAM which I'd like to then edit and add custom chapter-select menu's etc. using my PC.
    I've done this in the past using an MPEG2 video capture device which capp'ed the video direct to my Hard Drive, and then authored a DVD using Ulead DVD Workshop 2 with pretty satisfactory results.
    However, rigging up the PC and capture device every time I wanted to record a programme wasn't convenient, so I bought the standalone DVD recorder instead.

Only problem is, when I select 'Import from DVD' in DVD Workshop 2, it detects the scenes okay and appears to import them just fine, except.... no sound! :(
    So far I've made recordings on both DVD-RAM and DVD-R discs with the same problem.... but DVD's which I'd authored before buying the Panasonic work just fine...

It's my understanding that the Panny encodes audio in 2-channel Dolby Digital, so I wonder if this is incompatible with the software? In the screen just before the clip is imported, the various properties are listed, and it recognises the audio as 2-channel Dolby Digital so it's really got me baffled :suicide:

I've read Rasczak's excellent guide on converting DVD-RAM to DVD-R using Tmpeg Encoder, but I'd really rather use Ulead DVD Workshop 2 if possible, as I've used it in the past and don't fancy learning a whole new package! LOL

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    J.B.

2. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    mpeg 2 files usually encode the audio into the video and often when edit packages etc try to open them they lose audio unlike quicktimes that have a seperate track for audio and one for video, do you have option to open video-ts on your package? otherwise you may need to get an mpeg splitting software

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The problem is that you need an AC-3 plugin for DVD-WS2. Are you using the trial version? The app will identify the audio as such but won't handle it.

The reason it worked before is that the capture device would have recorded the sound as MPEG1 Layer II audio, which is the DVD-Video standard and is accepted by DVD-WS2.

4. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Musukebba - yes I am using the Trial version... can I get a DD plugin for it? I hope so as I can't afford the cost of the full package (or DVD Workshop 2 Express either), as it's only for a couple of programmes, at the moment :(

The MPEG2 capture device I used before was an Adaptec VideOh USB device which worked pretty good, except it sufferred from severe audio/video synch issues... I thought getting a standalone recorder would solve that, but now I've got a different problem! :suicide:

Has anyone any ideas how I can get around this problem without spending a small fortune, or having to learn a new piece of softeare?

Cheers,
    J.B.
    john@manicminer.plus.com

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would advise getting DVD Movie Factory 4, also from Ulead. It's a very simple and robust GUI, and considerably cheaper than DVD-WS2. If you've got used to WS2 then some of your learning won't be wasted. The full version will handle AC-3 (but note the trial version has the audio crippling as per DVD-WS). On special offer right now until the 31st May for £19.99 from here, and at that price cannot be beaten.

For a guide on how to use it, plus some other valuable information on ripping and editing DVD recordings, see here