Transferring data from Fat PS3 to Slim PS3???

theshabster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning ladies & gents.

As some of you will already know from reading my YLOD thread, I've decided to cut my losses & open up my new slim (with extended 3 year warranty:rolleyes:).

I'm looking to remove the 120GB drive from the Slim, & put in my 160GB HDD from my original PS3.

Will this be possible as a straight swap? (I have a feeling that the PS3 slim will want to re-format my new HDD once installed)

What data is stored on the HDD, & what is not?

i.e. I'm looking to transfer game save data, along with PSN game downloads, game install/update data, themes etc - Will all of this be contained within the HDD?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It would be on the HDD, but as soon as you put it in a new PS3 it will re-format it and wipe it.

The only way is to back-up off the old drive, place in the new one, format it, then restore from the backup.

Bit annoying, but thats the only way.

Also, I think it's everything stored on the HDD, all apart from PSN downloads. I restored not so long ago and got all my videos, music and pictures.

Ash

Some game saves are locked like Guitar Hero - thanks activision:rolleyes:

So if I do a full backup from my broken PS3, will this transfer game saves & game install data, or do these parts require manually transferring over?

Game saves will be fine, can't remember about the game data though.

But the back-up has to be done on the old PS3. (Not trying to sound contradicting)

Ash

Game saves will be fine, can't remember about the game data though.

But the back-up has to be done on the old PS3. (Not trying to sound contradicting)

Ash

I'll give it a go now fella - time will tell.

2 hours and counting down :boring:

So if I do a full backup from my broken PS3, will this transfer game saves & game install data, or do these parts require manually transferring over?

In theory, everything should be transferred over when you do a backup and restore... However, when I transferred the backup of my dead 60gb PS3 over to my new 80gb PS3, I ended up losing quite alot of game data and alot of stuff got messed up along the way...

It's most definitely not a seamless transition... But generally things should work ok.

A few games didn't transfer for some reason when I did mine e.g. Little Big Planet didn't appear at all on the other side for me, so I lost 'everything' which was quite painful...

You're actually very lucky that you can at least get your YLOD PS3 up and running to backup your latest files - I had to use an old backup when I restored mine. Anything that doesn't transfer across, you can transfer afterwards manually as your old one isn't dead and you can even activate the new one with your old PSN account before transferring anything manually.

If I remember correctly, all PSN games will have to be downloaded again and won't transfer across during a restore onto a different PS3 (although the save data should)... Since transferring and reinstalling a couple of my PSN games show as "trial" versions on my XMB, even though they are the FULL paid versions and work fully as the full versions... (like I said, things can get messed up on the way...)

Stored videos all seemed to have got messed up too when I restored mine (order and labels all messed up).

Anyway - yours should work better than mine did...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom