Transferring content from old nas hard drive

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by spud131, Aug 21, 2012.

1. spud131

spud131

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi guys,

I got a Zyxel NSA310 about a year ago and since then have filled the 500gb hard drive. I've since purchased a 1.5tb hard drive to give me more space. I know how to physically swap the hard drives over however what is the best way to transfer the data over to the new hard drive. Is it as simple as connecting the old hard drive from the Nas into my PC and copying the files over?

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    The filesystem on the drive from the NAS is most likely a linux one like ext3 which your PC wont read, if it's fat32 then yes the PC will read it.

If it's ext2 or ext3 the easiest/safest thing to do is download Ubuntu, install to USB pen drive then boot from USB pen drive and select Ubuntu Live, copy the contents from the HDD to your internal PC drive. Another option is Linux Live this actually installs the Ubuntu OS to a USB pen drive, if for some reason the Live environment (which is meant as a demo) doesn't work out for you.

3. STdrez625

STdrez625
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    If you have the technical chops you could connect both the old drive and the new drive to your PC. then use a cloning program to clone the old drive to your new drive. This will probably warn about non std filing system but should work. However it may not expand the partition to fill the disk, only someone who has used thsi method would know, and it might depend on the program used to do the cloning.

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +947
    I would install a free Ext 2 or 3 reader software to your PC. Connect the drive you want the files from and copy to your PC. Once there, transfer the files accross to your waiting empty NAS drive.

Takes a bit longer but its reasonably safe

5. spud131

spud131

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for your help guys. Think I'll try using an ext4 reader and just leave it overnight copying all the data.

6. spud131

spud131

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Finally got round to try this tonight and have had mega problems and looking for some more help.
    I initially tried using ext2explorer however this wouldn't find any drives.
    I decided to go down the linux root instead, linux recognises both my C: drive and my drive taken from the nas with all the content I want to transfer over, however it only lets me access the filesystem part of this drive which is only 500mb out of 500gb. When I view it in the disk utility it shows the drive as having 2 partitions, however I dont appear to be able to access the 2nd partition with all my media on it.
    The first partition shows as an ext2 filesystem however the 2nd partition says its an unknown file system, and has no options to mount the drive. It may be something simple I am missing as I'm not all that familiar with linux but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

7. madmonk3y

madmonk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You could put old drive into a USB caddie and connect it to the NSA310 USB port and copy via the webgui interface or below shows how I did mine, note your filesystem might be ext2 or 3 not reiserfs

How I did mine:
    Placed one of my 1TB drive from my old NSA 220 into USB3.0 caddy and connected to new NSA325 USB3 port
    Telnet to NSA325 –after enabling it via the webadmin gui

Mount USB drive - my filesystem was reiser FS
    Code:
    mount -t reiserfs -o ro /dev/sdc2 /mnt/mountpoint

Copy photo share from USB drive to new NAS drive
    Code:
        cd /mnt/mountpoint/photo
        cp -a * /i-data/md0/photo/ >/i-data/md0/photo/logfile.txt 2>&1 &

Copy video share from USB drive to new NAS drive
    Code:
        cd /mnt/mountpoint/video
        cp -a * /i-data/md0/video/ >/i-data/md0/video/logfile.txt 2>&1 &