Transferring 60GB between iPhones?

WarHog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have about 60GB of content (photos/videos) on my iPhone 7, and will be trading it in at the Apple Store for the new iPhone 12 soon.

Seeing as I will be handing it over at the Apple shop for the new phone, whats the best way of saving that data, as I won't have both phones side by side to directly transfer content. Or do the Apple store do this?

If i pay for more iCloud storage, could i upload everything to the cloud, then sync my new phone to download it all ? Or will I lose everything in the cloud when I reset my current hone prior to handing it to Apple?

Should I copy the photos/videos to my laptop, and sync apps etc to iTunes, then sync my new iPhone to download it all again and drag the photos across?

Imagine your phone is damaged/faulty or lost or stolen and hence gone one day, would you miss the data ? If so it should be backed up from time to time anyway and that should be your method of restoring it really. Local or to the cloud doesnt matter (although the cloud is safer I would think)

Why not both physical and online backup? Hard drives are now cheap

Amazon product ASIN B06WLL85ZJ
Amazon product ASIN B06VVS7S94
Amazon product ASIN B07VTWX8MN
I have used multiple portable western digital my passports for over 10 years (backups of the backups), although I have never bothered with their supplied WD software. YMMV and other brands are available such as seagate

Portable = powered by USB port and no ac wall power needed. Pay more for portable SSD if you want speed and have to access / edit files

Agreed. Maybe I should transfer to an external hard drive. I will be going through the photos and deleting those I don't need first.

My question about losing any content in iCloud - if I backed up my current iphone7 to iCloud, when my iphone 7 then gets reset before handing it over to the Apple store staff, would this delete my iCloud content? Or would everything still be there in the cloud, ready to download to my new iPhone?

Everything will still be in the cloud and when you setup your new iPhone it will ask you if you want to set it up as a new phone or restore from an iCloud backup.
Choose the last backup from your old phone and everything will then start to download when plugged in and connected via wi-fi.
The time taken will depend on the size of the backup and the internet speed.
The only things you will need to manually setup again are your online banking apps if you use them.

Last edited:
Thanks. Would i need to update my current iPhone 7 from V12.0 to the latest software version? A new iPhone 12 will surely be on the latest software, would this cause any issues with backing up?

No, that shouldn’t be necessary and won't cause any problems.
The method of reading/displaying your data may change with each iOS version but your data remains unchanged.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom