Transferring 1000s of tracks in one go to HD5: a wee tip ...

S

shadowritten

Just a quick observation, based on my exhausting experience in the early hours of this morning.

I re-transferred all 3533 tracks to my HD5H (don't ask why - something I did wrong!). It took exactly 1hr 40min over USB 2.0 to transfer the 6.9GB, btw. What I did notice was that, with both the USB lead and the AC adapter plugged in during this lengthy exercise, the LCD screen was, afterwards, very pale - as though the contrast was incorrectly adjusted.

I've looked again at the player's display (having given it a well-deserved 6 hours' rest!), and all is well again. Which is grand, as I feared I'd damaged it! My advice? Probably not a clever idea to transfer quite as much music as I did in one go.

I remember once knackering my PC HDD by running programs CONSTANTLY for 48hrs!! I'm guessing the excessive work that the read/write arm had to do did it no good, and I imagine much the same would be true on my HD5H, were I to be that foolish again ...

ahha I did a couple of fresh transfers of all my files myself, mainly because of the tagging not being like I wanted...It took me long hours tagging and transfering. I didn't want to trust the "Auto transfer" feature on SS :suicide: , so everytime I did a full transfer. The screen thing I noticed that myself. I think it's because of the high temperatures it reaches. So hot! I always transfered with the AC plugged in...like it said in the manual (is this really needed??!).
Good Night Sleep Tight!

shadowritten said:
Just a quick observation, based on my exhausting experience in the early hours of this morning.

I re-transferred all 3533 tracks to my HD5H (don't ask why - something I did wrong!). It took exactly 1hr 40min over USB 2.0 to transfer the 6.9GB, btw. What I did notice was that, with both the USB lead and the AC adapter plugged in during this lengthy exercise, the LCD screen was, afterwards, very pale - as though the contrast was incorrectly adjusted.

I've looked again at the player's display (having given it a well-deserved 6 hours' rest!), and all is well again. Which is grand, as I feared I'd damaged it! My advice? Probably not a clever idea to transfer quite as much music as I did in one go.

I remember once knackering my PC HDD by running programs CONSTANTLY for 48hrs!! I'm guessing the excessive work that the read/write arm had to do did it no good, and I imagine much the same would be true on my HD5H, were I to be that foolish again ...

What you say is quite accurate, especially with regard to hard drives. Apparently it is wise to stay well clear of programs that defrag your hard drive every night, it will only take about a year to screw up the disc, from what I'm told.

IanPM said:
What you say is quite accurate, especially with regard to hard drives. Apparently it is wise to stay well clear of programs that defrag your hard drive every night, it will only take about a year to screw up the disc, from what I'm told.

Really? That's interesting.

I was running a program called MP3Gain, which normalises MP3s so they all output at roughly the same volume. First, I had to analyse each track, then to normalise them. With over 3000 MP3s, this was no easy task - particularly as some of those 'files' were whole CDs (to avoid the dreaded gap!). It took roughly two days, including running for most of two nights, and my HDD arm was clicking loudly by the end of it! But what really did for it was running a defrag - the whole disc went kerputt!

A clicking HD is a sure sign of imminent HD failure and should never be ignored but I suspect the drive was a couple of years or more old by that time and the prolonged activity was the end of it.

It's good to keep a HD defragged but it should be done on a regular basis to avoid it running for hours or days and best practice is to use a scheduler so it's defragging all the time in the background, that way it never gets too fragmented in the first place.

A piece of advice for all PC users:

A hard drive is a mechanical device and WILL FAIL - the only question is when!

Pause for a moment and consider this:

If YOUR PC's HD failed right this minute what irreplaceable data/photos/music/etc. would you lose forever?

BACKUP - BACKUP - BACKUP - BACKUP - BACKUP - BACKUP BACKUP - BACKUP - BACKUP

This is why I'm dearly hoping to see 20GB-40GB flash-based DAPs some day. I'm becoming increasingly distrustful of HDDs - though I suspect flash players suffer with their own unique set of problems ...

recsnmisc said:
ahha I did a couple of fresh transfers of all my files myself, mainly because of the tagging not being like I wanted...It took me long hours tagging and transfering. I didn't want to trust the "Auto transfer" feature on SS :suicide: , so everytime I did a full transfer. The screen thing I noticed that myself. I think it's because of the high temperatures it reaches. So hot! I always transfered with the AC plugged in...like it said in the manual (is this really needed??!).
Good Night Sleep Tight!

It is necessary on the HD3, but not on the HD5 - I have managed to transfer files without the AC adaptor plugged in.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom