1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering Video8 to DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Budgie, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Budgie

Budgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need your help guys....

I want to transfer some old Video 8 stuff to DVD (the old V8 camcorder is playing up)... My new camcorder can do the conversion, but I need to know what resolution should I use... I could capture at DV quality, but this will eat my HDD, and I will have to keep transfering a bit then dropping it on to DVD... transfer another bit... drop onto.... I'm sure you get the picture?

So... what settings should I iuse to get the best compromise between quality, and hard drive space....:lease:

Thanx

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Additional large hard drives both internal and external are so cheap now that it is not worth either capturing in fits and starts or in any quality less than DV-AVI - just get yourself a nice 120Gb second drive.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I agree with Beejaycee. If at all possible, and definately if doing further editing, get another HDD. An 80Gb drive should cost less than £60. This will give enough space to capture and edit 2+ hours of footage captured at full DV quality.
    What editing/authoring software are you useing? Some programs can capture directly as MPEG-2 files (this is the format that gets written to a DVD) saving a lot of space, but it does limit the editing possabilities as once compressed every edit will result in some further loss of quality.

Mark.

4. Budgie

Budgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your guidance.... :smashin:

I'll be using Studio 9... but I will not be editing the stuff... just archiving, so there wont be any editing losses, unless I bring the stuff back from DVD in the future..... how big would the quality hit be.... bearing in mind its only V8 to start with

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The poorer the quality is to start with the greater the noticeable loss will be. Many of the newer editing packages do offer the option to edit compressed footage and are getting fairly good at doing it, but its good, not great. I've never done any editing on compressed footage so don't really know what the results are likely to be like, but the standard recommendation is to do all editing on the uncomressed AVI files and then compress and copy to disk.
    You say you will be useing Studio 9 which is a very highly spec'ed editing package with great reviews. If you are paying out for this then I would think you would be looking to do further editing in the future. Therefore I would still recommend getting another HDD so you have the space to do the best possible editing.

Mark.