Question Transfering video files from Panasonic DMR-EX85

Gerald222

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have two Panasonic DVD recorders, one is a DMRE85 I can't recall the other, but they have both developed faults and I can no longer burn the video files on either to a DVD. I tried to make a good machine from them both by transferring the DVD drive from one to the other, but it seems they are not compatible. I have around 100 video files on each which I would like to save. I have purchased a new Panasonic BluRay recorder model: DMRBWT740 is there anyway I can transfer the files from my old recorders to this machine? One way I thought of was via the SD card that all the machines have, however am I right in thinking that the SD card slot can only be used to transfer photos? and not video files? If anyone could help me solve this perplexing problem I would appreciate it.

The only way of transferring video with the machines in their current condition is by connecting by scart and transferring in real time. This incurs an unavoidable encoding generational loss.
(There may be a further perceived loss of quality because the input of the '740 is limited to composite quality, albeit the encoders in it are so good this may not be noticed.)

It may be worth restoring one, or both of your other machines. It is certainly not worth replacing the DVD drives as it is an uneconomic proposition.
However it is possible to obtain the laser modules that go into those drives and to fit it relatively easily.
We have a guidance thread on this issue if you are interested in following that path.

If the other machines have working drives then material can be transferred losslessly and at high speed, by using RAM discs. ( Source machine - copy at high speed to RAM. Destination machine Copy at high speed from RAM to HDD)

Hello, Thank you for your reply, I feared that was probably the case, As I'm not very technical I'm not sure what the problem with the drive is, but here is a link to the same problem that is on Youtube, I understand it's a fairly common fault, could you give e any advice on how I can repair this fault and if it's viable to do so? Kindest regards Ged:

The thread regarding laser replacement is here. Have a read through it.

But there are a few things to say about this first.
I mistakenly read that you had an EX85 when in fact you say it is a much earlier E85.
If you should choose to go down the path of laser replacement you should check compatibility with that machine, from the supplier.

But also, it is important to be sure that the laser has failed in the first place.
You did not specify in what way you are not able to burn discs... and these machines suffered from a well know power supply problem which would often make the machine be forced into a self-check if one tried to burn discs. This is also a fixable problem.

The thread regarding laser replacement is here. Have a read through it.

But there are a few things to say about this first.
I mistakenly read that you had an EX85 when in fact you say it is a much earlier E85.
If you should choose to go down the path of laser replacement you should check compatibility with that machine, from the supplier.

But also, it is important to be sure that the laser has failed in the first place.
You did not specify in what way you are not able to burn discs... and these machines suffered from a well know power supply problem which would often make the machine be forced into a self-check if one tried to burn discs. This is also a fixable problem.

Hello, firstly my apologies for not replying sooner but I am ill at present. My machine is a EX85, I missed the X out as a typo. I was hoping that I could cobble a good machine together with my other machine which is a EX87, however this has also developed a fault. It started occasionally showing a U80 error, rebooting usually solved this, however in recent weeks it has become permanent. Sometimes it will play a DVD whilst still showing the U80 error, but won't do much else, turning off usually means a devil of a job to extract the DVD as the tray won't open. I managed to get it to navigate to the hard drive but all it displayed was a grey blank screen. My hope was that I could use the DVD drive from this to put into my EX85 to transfer the files to DVD and then swap the hard drives to extract the files off the EX87, however it appears that the drives are not compatible, for when I put the DVD drive from the EX87 into the EX85 the machine did not recognize the drive. I have tried to find any info I can on why the EX87 has the U80 code, but I can't find any solutions for it, I wondered if it was simpler to repair the EX87's U80 problem, than solve the problem with the EX85? I'm stuck, ill and frustrated, I would be grateful for any help or advice.

OK Understood.

The EX85 problem can only be fixed by laser replacement. Those symptoms are classical and unequivocal. The laser that is available will fit that machine and it is not a particularly
difficult job.

The EX87 is less certain but generally I would advise that you leave that machine unpowered until you can get a look at it, as the problem is likely to deteriorate further.
EX77's and EX87's are evidently of an age now where age related faults are beginning to show up.
Several similar faults with this range of machines have been reported in recent weeks.

As yet, I do not know the specific components implicated in these *7 Series failures, but U80 errors or total shutdown seem to be the common symptoms.

The problems will almost certainly be due to ageing capacitors. There is some evidence also that failure of one of the principal smoothing capacitors is taking out an associated diode ( and that is what you want to avoid - The capacitors are easy to get. The diode may not be and I am having difficulty identifying it's type)

So it may be worth doing a careful visual examination of the medium and large size capacitors on the power and main boards, to look for cap bulging and or leaking.
Replacing such problem capacitors would be likely to effect a cure.

I'll get back with a link to associated threads regarding these problems... and get well soon.

Here is a thread related to *7 series problems, and which also leads to another.

I have updated the thread title to indicate an EX85 is involved.

OK Understood.

The EX85 problem can only be fixed by laser replacement. Those symptoms are classical and unequivocal. The laser that is available will fit that machine and it is not a particularly
difficult job.

The EX87 is less certain but generally I would advise that you leave that machine unpowered until you can get a look at it, as the problem is likely to deteriorate further.
EX77's and EX87's are evidently of an age now where age related faults are beginning to show up.
Several similar faults with this range of machines have been reported in recent weeks.

As yet, I do not know the specific components implicated in these *7 Series failures, but U80 errors or total shutdown seem to be the common symptoms.

The problems will almost certainly be due to ageing capacitors. There is some evidence also that failure of one of the principal smoothing capacitors is taking out an associated diode ( and that is what you want to avoid - The capacitors are easy to get. The diode may not be and I am having difficulty identifying it's type)

So it may be worth doing a careful visual examination of the medium and large size capacitors on the power and main boards, to look for cap bulging and or leaking.
Replacing such problem capacitors would be likely to effect a cure.

I'll get back with a link to associated threads regarding these problems... and get well soon.
Hello, Thanks for getting back to me, well I feel up to it I'll have a look to see if any capacitors are bulging. Is the laser replacement expensive? Thanks again. Ged

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Typically £55 if you buy in the UK. £30 if you buy from China. Some examples here.
Thanks for that, are the China ones any good do you know? I did however notice that they all list the EX75 but not the EX85 which I presume is the same, just a larger hard drive?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for that, are the China ones any good do you know? I did however notice that they all list the EX75 but not the EX85 which I presume is the same, just a larger hard drive?
The lasers available here will be the same. They'll all be made in China... and yes - EX75/85 is effectively identical but for hard drive size.

The lasers available here will be the same. They'll all be made in China... and yes - EX75/85 is effectively identical but for hard drive size.
Thank you for getting back to me, I'll order one and I'll let you know how I get on, I really appreciate all your help. Regards Ged.

Hi, My new Laser arrived in this mornings post, however I have a problem and I wondered if you could help? It says that it comes with 'PROTECT WELDING SPOTS' which I have to remove with a soldiering iron, however it does not indicate where theses are, I wondered how I could locate them? So far I haven't spotted anything obvious. I'm including a few photos I have just taken, hoping you can help. Regards Ged
Las6.jpg
Las1.jpg
Las3.jpg
Las4.jpg
Las5.jpg

You ommited to take and upload a pic of the rear of the ribbon connector socket...you'll see some of the solder pads (usually 2) have been "bridged" with a blob of solder, just unsolder it using desoldering braid.
This is an anti-static precaution.

Hello,
I have removed the back to obtain access to the rear of the ribbon connector socket but I'm still not sure which are the 'PROTECT WELDING SPOTS' I'm including a photo in the hope that you can spot them for me. By the way, I really appreciate your helping, regards, Ged
Las7.jpg
Las8.jpg

From the pics it looks like the connections on the corner (bottom RHS) of the connector.

Hello, Well I'm totally confused, after not seeing anything obvious I contacted e Chinese company I bought it from who now inform me that it doesn't have 'Protect Spots' If this is the case, why does a sheet of paper come with the packaging warning me that it does? The sheet also says they can remove these spots on request before they send it, the problem is that they don't tell you this until you have received it, I wonder if it's possible for anyone to check their calendar it case mine is faulty and it's really April the 1st? It reminds me of a friend I knew who had his phone disconnected by BT, after a lengthy wait to sort it he received a letter from BT saying that they had been trying to phone him to resolve it but nobody was answering, perhaps it's just me? Thanks Ged

Hello, Well I have exchanged the laser in my Panasonic DMR-ex 85 but I'm afraid it hasn't worked, when I place a DVD in the tray it says 'NO DISC' and I'm not technically savvy enough to find out why. I was hoping that by changing the laser I could transfer all the files off it's hard drive. My other solution to this problem was to take out the hard drive and place it in my DMR-EX87. I did this but it doesn't seem to work, it said 'Please Wait' for about ten minutes then shut down, after switching it on again it just says 'HELLO' and won't do anything, I wondered, is the hard drive from a EX 85 not compatible with an EX 87? any advice would be most welcome. Regards. Ged

Hello, Well I have exchanged the laser in my Panasonic DMR-ex 85 but I'm afraid it hasn't worked, when I place a DVD in the tray it says 'NO DISC' and I'm not technically savvy enough to find out why. I was hoping that by changing the laser I could transfer all the files off it's hard drive. My other solution to this problem was to take out the hard drive and place it in my DMR-EX87. I did this but it doesn't seem to work, it said 'Please Wait' for about ten minutes then shut down, after switching it on again it just says 'HELLO' and won't do anything, I wondered, is the hard drive from a EX 85 not compatible with an EX 87? any advice would be most welcome. Regards. Ged
Swapping of the hard drives definitely will not work.
The operating system exists on a separate partition on the hard drive and that has to match the hardware it is designed for.

So efforts must be concentrated on the laser.

Some things to consider:

Have you compared the old and the new in regards to soldering - just to ensure that there are no solder shorts, despite the supplier confusion.

Has the machine stopped showing a 'disk in' symbol on the display when no disk is present - If so, that is progress.

Did you seat the data cable by releasing the cable lock as noted in the module replacement thread? Either way it is worth trying to reseat it carefully. (But only by releasing the lock).

Have you tried a variety of discs including commercial video discs and CD's?

Is it possible that the act of installing has put dirt onto the laser lens?

When the machine boots up, and it comes to the drive check (with no disc in the tray), what noise does it make? How many buzzes and clicks?

Did you rescue as much of the original lubricant - so that the laser sled is running freely on the guide posts?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom