1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering standard VHS to DVD+RW DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by malcom, Dec 19, 2001.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I hope to purchase DVD recorder in the not to distant future (Probably the Philips +RW format but the Panasonic DVD-RAM-R format is still being considered).

I want to archive my standard VHS recordings to DVD with the aid of a video copying device to improve colour balance and other variables. The device I have in mind for this is the copymate CM-2 from a UK supplier.

Does anyone have any experience with this device or similar device that will confirm to me that the use of a video enhancer between a standard or VHS machine and a philips DVD1000+rw machine that they will work ok together.

I have asked the supplier who thinks it should be ok but has not actually tested such a set up.

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Don't know about the enhancer, Malcom, but aren't the dvd recorders spose to enhance anyway with their TBC and other digital wizardry? It may be worth waiting for hdd models. Plus as far as the Philips is concerned the next one out is spose to be r disc capable which would be a lot cheaper on disc consumption.
    I saw the Panasonic and was dismayed at the weedy tray on it, when compared to its superstructure. Strange really.

3. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    It may be worth getting a DVD+RW drive for your PC rather than a stand alone unit.
    Transfering video from DV, VHS etc is easy with a PC. You can also fully edit your video as well. It's also alot cheaper. You can buy a +RW drive from Ricoh/HP for around £500.
    DVD+R disc's for the DVD+RW drives are going to be available soon. These will be compatible with all +RW drives. (A firmware update may be needed). These are cheaper write-once disc's.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Norman: Thanks for the suggestion but from what I have read on the dvd+rw forum using the present generation of dvd burners is nothing short of a nightmare. The unit you refer to cannot apparantly be upgraded to the +R format.No firmware will be available for the PC version only the stand alone recorders.

That's as I understand it today apparently from the horses mouth (Philips). Tomorrow someone else no doubt will say something different.

Encaser:

I have asked about the DVD recorder and it's enhancment ability.
    It stabalises the original image but does not give any other benefit such as colour and sharpness control. In that respect I have been advised that for a computer to obtain as good a copy as a stand alone DVD recorder would require some top notch video capture hardwear/software. Not at all cheap. As I said above DVD burning on a computer seem to be anightmare to a lot of people. Few seem to be satisfied with the software capabilities. Some complaining of up to 30% loss of quality with regard to a DVD-R Pioneer burner. Because the present DVD+RW burners don't support +R yet and will not be upgradable. The +RW burner is not a valid option at the moment.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    You will NEVER be able to improve the quality of analog video (VHS or S-VHS).

As soon as you copy it to another medium, tape, disc or whatever, you will lose a gen.

But for archiving purposes then transferring to DVD is still a good idea. and your best option over VCD.

Despite the drop in quality the discs will last a lot longer than any tape version.

It's something I want to do when it becomes more affordable. Just hope my 20 year old VHS tapes can hold a bit longer !

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, you cannot completely retain the original analogue when transferred to CD, DVD e.t.c. But you certainly can improve the signal quality - this is one of the reasons to transfer in the first place! This is also why record companies "remaster" old analogue masters of albums to CD.

For example, CD writing software have some good digital processing options for removing crackle or hiss from records, tidying up low frequencies e.t.c. e.t.c This will subjectively sound better than the original, for obvious reasons, with no hiss :)

I've heard of but never used the copymate, but such video processing tools are quite useful for making the video look better on DVD. You could also test utilities, like the ones on THX DVDS, to make sure your TV is calibrated before you change the video settings...