Transfering music cassettes to cds

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by camyuser, Jan 25, 2008.

1. camyuser

camyuser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible to transfer music tapes to cds or dvds. If so, how is it done?

Thanks for any info

2. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    yes it is, what kit do you have now? as you can recored it to your pc and then make CD's. if you have the deck and some software and the odd cable.

3. camyuser

camyuser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a cassette player,computers and a laptop.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    If any of your computers has an audio input (at line level, not a microphone input - will probably be equipped with 2 x RCA phono sockets on, or attached to, the sound card; some use a 3.5mm stereo jack) then you have all the hardware you need.

You will need some software to capture audio. There are many choices and you may already have some installed - Nero, for example, comes with a wave editor which has a recording feature.

You would connect the audio (monitor) outs from the tape deck to your PC's line input using a suitable cable.

Start playback and adjust recording levels using recording software. You may need to enable the input you are using via your soundcard's software (mixer). You can also adjust levels here.

Once it's all set up, you need to record each track as a separate WAVE file, using CD settings, i.e. stereo, 16 bit, 44100 khz.

Once you've copied and saved your tracks on the hard drive, then use a CD burning program, and create an AUDIO CD. Data CDs don't play in CD players.

5. Lithoprint

Lithoprint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to transfer my old cassettes to to my pc. I am using nero and audicity and the recording is very distorted when played back using both programmes. Can you help please.
    Norman