Transfering itunes library from int to ext hd

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by marklfc77, Dec 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. marklfc77

marklfc77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I need some advice in how to transfer my itunes library from my internal hd to my external hd.
    The problem is my computer is has only got an 80gb hard drive but it will now be running 2 30gb ipods on it, through two different xp logins so we will be running to itunes, so the problem is I want to move one of the itunes libraries to my external hd and run it from there instead.
    so basically I need some advice on how to do this bit of a newbie when it comes to this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I tried to send the itunes music folder from my music, but it just copied it then it used to move to F: drive, which it did but when I opened itunes the library was bare, so I had to move it all back, which I made a bit of a mess :oops: while doing it but I got it back in the end.
    so :lease: helpppp!!!!

2. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  3. marklfc77

marklfc77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Obiwan tried that but it din't work for me but I'll give it another shot tomorrow when, I may seem tobe a bit thick but exaclty which files do I need to transfer across to the ext hard drive I only transferred the itunes music folder

4. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know much about itunes as i've never used it by but i would think you would need to change the location in itunes that your music is stored. Or once you've transfered you music "import" your external drive into itunes

5. will1970

will1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am not sure how it works on a pc but on a mac i believe that you would move your music folder to the external drive, then go to itunes preferences,
    click the advanced tab and you should see it indicates where you have had itunes finding your music. Use the change button to show itunes where the new location of your music files. As i say it may be different on a pc but that works on a mac i believe

HTH
    Will

6. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    It is the same on a PC, I have done it myself and it worked fine