• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Transfering data twice

Gordon B

I've already transferred my data from a 20 to 60 gig drive but now I've run out of room on that so I'm getting a 120.

Now as I understand it I can't transfer the data again from the 60 to the 120 using a transfer kit. Is this correct?

Not fussed about all my installs as I can do them again and I can transfer my saves using a mem card. My only concern is all my Rock Band 1 and 2 songs. I've got ACDC and all the RB1 songs on it to use in RB2 and the game discs are long gone. Are these gone forever?

Ta

SID 6581

I changed from a 20gb to 120gb when the 120gb drives came out and recently upgraded that to a 250gb and all transfered ok.

Gordon B

I changed from a 20gb to 120gb when the 120gb drives came out and recently upgraded that to a 250gb and all transfered ok.

Good news that. Thanks

bananacat

Also your content should be fine too, think when they say you can only transfere once in a certain period of time they only mean if you have changed your console. Meaning changing the content on a new HDD only and not usung a new console should be fine. I hope that make sense.

Gordon B

Also your content should be fine too, think when they say you can only transfere once in a certain period of time they only mean if you have changed your console. Meaning changing the content on a new HDD only and not usung a new console should be fine. I hope that make sense.

Ah, but the 120 drive is attached to a shiny new Elite that is coming my way. Will this make a difference?

DJSigma

Banned
Ah, but the 120 drive is attached to a shiny new Elite that is coming my way. Will this make a difference?
If you switch consoles then downloaded content will only be accessible if you sign into Xbox Live with the profile that originally downloaded it. You can use the license transfer tool on Microsoft's site to transfer the licenses over to the new console, then all of your content will be accessible online, offline, and with any gamertags on that console. Once you've used the transfer tool, you have to re-download the content, although it only refreshes the license, so it literally takes a couple of seconds per item.

Xbox.com | System Use - Transferring Content Licenses to a New Console

You can only transfer licenses to a different console once per year. Also, if you're keeping your older console, if you transfer the licenses over to the new Elite, then the content will only be accessible on the old console when you're signed into Live with the gamertag that originally downloaded it.

Gordon B

If you switch consoles then downloaded content will only be accessible if you sign into Xbox Live with the profile that originally downloaded it. You can use the license transfer tool on Microsoft's site to transfer the licenses over to the new console, then all of your content will be accessible online, offline, and with any gamertags on that console. Once you've used the transfer tool, you have to re-download the content, although it only refreshes the license, so it literally takes a couple of seconds per item.

Xbox.com | System Use - Transferring Content Licenses to a New Console

You can only transfer licenses to a different console once per year. Also, if you're keeping your older console, if you transfer the licenses over to the new Elite, then the content will only be accessible on the old console when you're signed into Live with the gamertag that originally downloaded it.

OK thanks. That's all well and good for arcade games and the like but what about the content that I can't download again, ie the RB1 songs? Does this include that? I transfer the data then download the licence to my new machine?

astar0th

Distinguished Member
OK thanks. That's all well and good for arcade games and the like but what about the content that I can't download again, ie the RB1 songs? Does this include that? I transfer the data then download the licence to my new machine?

A googled convo i found

"After trying to fix the "The song you are trying to access has become unavailable" glitch by transferring all the licenses to my current system, I seem to have lost all of my RB1 songs. I am not sure how I am supposed to re-download them as they are not in my download history..."

"Redownload the RB1 Export License. That is in your history. That should fix your problem."

"Thank you, I will be sure to try that.

But do you happen to know any solution for the DLC not working? I lost my Metallica pack, Steve Miller Band Pack, and a few other songs I can't remember.

UPDATE: It worked, I got back my RB1 songs, much appreciated. But still no way to fix DLC."

"Did you redownload all of the DLC after transferring your licenses? You don't have to delete them first, just go into your download history and hit "Download Again", it will only take a few seconds per file as all it is doing is refreshing the DRM information.

Then delete the "Downloaded Song Data" file on your 360 HDD in your RB folder. After that, make sure you are connected to the internet and start up RB. It will recreate that file (which contains all of the cached DLC licenses) and you should be go to."

"I did redownload it after transferring, but I did not delete the Downloaded Song Data file. I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Worked perfectly, thanks again!"

Gordon B

OK, transfer kit has arrived.

Now, I originally transferred my data from the 20g drive that came with my Halo 360 to a 60g drive.

Now the kit is asking for the original 20g drive and won't work with the 60g drive. I'm guessing because the Halo consoles only originally came with 20g drives this is why the software won't play ball. Or am I missing something here?

Does this mean I need to borrow someone's Premium so it recognises the 60g drive?

Never thought it would be so difficult to move the data that I legitimately own....:rolleyes:

EDIT: Just put my Original 20g drive back on and it recognises that just fine. But of course, that hasn't got any data on it anymore....

Last edited:

Gordon B

Now tried it with a friends Elite and its still asking for the original 20g drive so I'm giving up.

Time to put the lead back on the Classifieds and get myself a memory Card and do it the hardcore way.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Now tried it with a friends Elite and its still asking for the original 20g drive so I'm giving up.

Time to put the lead back on the Classifieds and get myself a memory Card and do it the hardcore way.

There are afew different kits about, the one you have it only designed to transfer from a 20Gb drive.

Why not try the AVF Bike, I did that before xmas and had a cable within days to transfer the contents of my 120Gb to the new 250Gb.

Gordon B

There are afew different kits about, the one you have it only designed to transfer from a 20Gb drive.

Why not try the AVF Bike, I did that before xmas and had a cable within days to transfer the contents of my 120Gb to the new 250Gb.

Are there different denominations?

I'm already on the list but took myself off it when I got this kit through. I'll put myself back on it and donate this kit to the cause.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom