Transfering 8mm camcorder tapes to DVD XS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jerrysimon, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted when I first got my Toshiba XS32.

I love this machine and am so glad I got one with a HDD :clap:

Anyway one of the reasons I got it was to move my Camcorder 8mm family tapes (over 30) onto DVD.

Some are 60 min and some 90 min tapes.

A couple of questions :

1. The quickest way to record seems to be to plug in the phono connections from my camera and record straight to DVD. If so should I record at what rate ?

2. Is it better to record to HDD first and then down to DVD ? Again if so at what rate should I record to HDD and then to DVD ?

I am not interested in editing just want to make a backup copy from tape ti DVD and get it into digital format ?

Regards

Jerry

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would record straight to HDD using the bitrate applicable to the length of recording you are transferring.
    6.0 for around 90mins of material and 9.0 for around 60mins. It's a lot quicker this way, and you won't have to worry about bitrate converting the recordings later.

Do any editing you need to and then archive them to DVD (maybe even make 2 copies of each recording just in case they are really cherished memories).

If the tapes are a bit grainy, a cool thing i've found is to record at 3.8 - this halves the horizontal (i think) resolution and usually has the effect of removing annoying grain from the video, whilst still keeping a perfectly watchable picture. Try it if yr not sure.

Let us know how you get on :smashin:

3. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Jim,

Thanks for your help.

Ok I have done my first 8mm 90 min tape at a bit rate of 6.0. Interestingly it comes out at 1hr 33mins. I started the camera and recorder at the same time :confused:

Anyway I decided to have a go at some quick editing mainly to get the garbage out i.e. the breaks/blanks between recording on the camera.

The Tosh editing features are really hard to understand :mad:

Do you start by splitting it up into chapters between the garbage and then delete the unwanted chapters ? then merge it back together or can you select a portion of the recording to delete ?

My wife wrote down for each tape five or six things that are recorded and I thought I would then just make these into final chapters and possibly put a menu on it

What happens then, do you finalise it on the HDD or just dub it down to a DVD. From the manual it looks like when I dub it down to DVD it will work at faster than real time :clap: which would be great if I have to create a couple of copies.

I have tried to read the manual and although have got some where with it it's certianly NOT very clear.

Regards

Jerry

4. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ok I just found the online manual thread here (what a great resource this forum is) and have just read a bit more and think I undertsand. I assume having divided it up into chapters you then create a play list excluding the dud chapters you don't want :clap:

However I have also just read about the GOP and FRAME setting for dividing chapters and am even more confused :lease:

Regards

Jerry

5. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes playlists are better then deleting things (helps avoid fragmentation). Each chapter can also be labled and given a thumbnail for the dvd menu.

The two main buttons to play with are the quick menu and the little blue star button wich switches between chapter and title view.

Mpeg2 is not an ideal format for editing because of the way a number of frames are generated from a key frame. Using GOP helps you make sure that the divides occur on key frames and therefore occure where you think they will occur.

Your best bet is to just play with it and create/finalise a dvd on DVD-RW so that you can see what happens and get a feel of the whole process.

good luck
    steve

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    As you will be dubbing to DVD-R, I suggest you use the GOP mode when setting the chapter points.

If you set them in the FRAME/VR mode, it will convert them to GOP mode when you create the DVD, and the chapter points may be slightly different (half a second or so) from where you set them.

Mark

7. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks you all for your helpfull info. And yes Steve I did know about creating thumbnails on the menus. As you say probably best to use a DVD-RW so I can play around before I create my final DVD-Rs :D

Regards

Jerry

8. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :lease:

Well good job I tried it on a -RW first.

All went well until I went to play it on my PC. It is coming out at 16:9 instead of 4:3 :confused:

On the Tosh/TV as I have RGB setting I cannot change the setting to 4:3. It's a Pansonic TV and I think this is known bug.

I have to change to Video mode and then I can select 4:3.

So what is the DVD recorder recorder recording the camcorder onto HDD and then creating the final DVD as 4:3 or 16:9 :lease:

Regards

Jerry

9. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ok I have found in setup under the "dvd recorder operations" there is a option to select 16:9 or 4:3 :thumbsup:

So now that will ensure that the final DVD created will be in 4:3 :clap:

The 8mm camcorder records and outputs as 4:3 so the question is what is my toshisba recording it at onto the HDD 16:9 or 4:3 :confused:

Sorry if this all sounds a little naive :blush:

Regards

Jerry

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The XS32 will record a 4:3 input fine, as 4:3.

When you create your DVD-R/RW, there is an option for the aspect: Original, 4:3, or 16:9. As your input is 4:3 setting it to Original should work, but if I know the aspect I always set it to be sure (i.e. I'd set it to 4:3).

Mark