1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer to PC via Firewire

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Hiddenmission, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New user here: having used the forum before and found it very helpful, I am trying to set up my PC to capture and edit my mini DV movies.

There was a very helpful thread which explained the full ins and outs of how to obtain the necessary hardware to set up a firewire connection (including some good sources to purchase the kit) - unfortunately, despite searching and checking FAQs, it's nowhere to be seen. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also - how would I know if my PC is firewire enabled? No mention of it in the rather scant support literature for the PC, is it easy to identify the port?

Thanks in advance

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To find if you have a firewire port installed:

open control panel
    click on 'system'
    select the 'hardware' tab
    click on 'device manager'
    in the new window look for 'ieee1394 controler' or similar. That is a firewire port. If you can't see anything with ieee1394 then there is no firewire installed.

I have answered many. many threads requesting advice on installing firewire for video editng etc. Most of what you need to know is out there to be found with a bit of searching. If however you can't find an answer to what you want to know then ask the specific questions and I'm sure a few of us will be glad to help out.

Mark.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The actual firewire port which may be on the back of your PC tower unit (although more and more newer PC's have one on the front as well ) is very similar in size to a USB port but just a little wider and with one end rounded (as opposed to the USB which has 4 square corners)

4. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, and I have seen many of your helpful posts before - including an absolute peach which set out the whole process of adding firewire to your PC (which, try though I might, I cannot find! If anyone knows what I'm talking about, this would be a good thing to have in the FAQs).

As I have now established that I don't have firewire, I would be hugely grateful if you could just remind me what I need to purchase and a good tip for a source - I've seen some firewire cables that announce their compatibility or otherwise with different camcorders - is this a good thing, or will a generic cable be sufficient? I have a JVC GR-D23e.

THANKS!

5. riget

riget
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I have a Digital video editing kit, that includes software a firewire card and cable, if that's any good to you £25

6. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer - could you tell me what the card, software and kit are in a bit more detail - I'd like to know a bit more about what options there are. I might still take you up on your offer, if it's still open.

I would still be grateful for any help with my questions about what I actually need to buy to enable firewire and also whether or not there are any compatibility issues - I've seen firewire cables that purport to be compatible with specific camcorders, are they not all generic?

Thanks.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Don't go spending a fortune on specific cables. To be a firewire cable it has to perform to the ieee1394 standards, which is all that is required for capture from a digital camcorder.
    You can get a firewire PCI card that includes a cable from Here for £7.99
    Depending on the version of Windows you have you may well already have a great capture & editing package that is part of the Windows XP install called Movie Maker 2. Full help on getting the best out of this can be found at www.papajohn.org
    If you want to create DVD's then you will need to get some DVD authoring software such as the latest version of Nero or Ulead DV Movie Factory 3 that will let you create a menu & chapters and burn the disc.

Mark.

8. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, really appreciate this. Suggest someone bungs this in the FAQ section.

:clap:

9. riget

riget
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The kit I have is made by Newsoft and there web site is http://www.newsoftinc.com/
    The kit contains a firewire card a good quality cable 2 manuals 1 for inserting the card the other for how to use the software, and a cd with the software and drivers for pre windows xp.
    Look for Presto Videoworks on the web site.

10. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Or you could just get Apple gear instead leaving you free to concentrate on the creative process ;) :devil:

11. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Black,
    I'm picking up a commom theme runing through your postings ;)
    Should you now be known as Black 'Apple' 5? :devil:

12. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe :)

I haven't been a regular visitor to the AV Forums for a while so I'm trying to figure if I'm a lone voice or not!!