Transfer music from HD3 to another computer

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by john9683, Oct 19, 2005.

1. john9683

john9683

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Own a HD3 and have loaded about 200 CDs via Sonic Stage. Main computer has now crashed it's hard drive and I cannot get at the files. Is there any way of transferring my files back onto a new computer from the HD3 or do I have to reload all my CDs again onto the new machine? Bit of a pain if I have to spend approx two days doing it again. Have put the Sonic Stage software on the new machine but it will not accept the files from the HD3.

2. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would try hooking up the hard drive to your new computer and recovering files, then importing them into SS. Usually you can recover info even if the computer "crashes." (Unless it was a literal physical crash!)

3. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    That's the best option, pop the old PC's hard drive in your new machine (you may need to move the jumper on the hard drive it is isn't set to "cable select")

If the disk is still readable you should then be able to just browse the contents and copy the contents across to your new PC.

I know this doesn't help your situation at the moment but another reminder to DAP users to Back your PC up if you don't want to re-rip all your CD's

4. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You def can't re-load them from your HD-3, it won't let you in SS and becuase Sony seem very opposed to drag'n'drop, it wraps all the mp3s up in some kinda weird special 'Sony format'. Check out your Hd3 as an external drive in Windows Explorer, you'll notice that there aren't actually any mp3s on there

5. tjdewalt

tjdewalt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if the hard drive is alive, wont it not let you transfer the files over because of DRM, unless you ripped using SS3.2, with copy protection off....

7. john9683

john9683

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for those answers. Not a hardware expert with the computer but told by the engineer that the "spindle" on the hard drive is not viable and therefore unlikely to be able to recover the files on it. Do normally backup such things like documents and photo files but had not thought to do with music (all legit and owned by me) - I did lose some recent photos of Grandson which had not been backed up.

8. tjdewalt

tjdewalt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sasso,
    does this mean that you actually can tranfer music files from HD to Computer if you set copy protection of during ripping??? is this how easy the solution would be?

9. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I'd still be tempted to plug the hard drive in and give it a go, you've got nothing to lose by trying and many hours of your life ripping CD's again if you don't!

10. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends which HD you are talking about. You still cannot transfer files from the PLAYER's HD to the computer, damnit sony. But i was saying if his HD worked the one that lost its spindle or whatever, then he could have transferred the actual atrac files that were ripped, as long as he used SS3.2 and unticked copy protection.

Edit - Take note, by Player's HD i mean the songs that have been tranferred Using SOnicstage or similar software. Non copy protected atrac files can be transferred using the removable storage part of the HD5, but those will not show up in the music library on the player.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,505
    You could also buy an external USB hard drive caddy and stick the drive in that, this would mean that you don't have to go into the computer to connet the dodgy drive up.